The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Waterbury Res  (Read 1508 times)

Offline bradroy55

• Team IceShanty Regular
Waterbury Res
« on: Dec 20, 2010, 04:35 PM »
I see someone has been out on the res lately, just wondering what you had for ice farther out and if you caught anything, If anyone wants to own up to it. Planning on trying it their tomorrow after school

Offline pwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Waterbury Res
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2010, 04:50 PM »
Bradely, it was Dylans Haskins Grandpa, he didn't catch much, some other guy caught a couple of smelt. Wasn't a whole lot of ice out there, he said there was a good 4" but it was more like 2"

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2010, 05:40 PM »
Anyone ever catch any Walleye there since they let the water out?

Offline pwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2010, 06:37 PM »
no they haven't been in there for probaly 20 years, used to be some pigs in there, some one caught a state record walleye in the 80's below the dam in the gorge

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2010, 07:24 PM »
If they did so well in there back then why dont they restock it????  Because that would make sense, instead they will waste money stocking fisht that dont take. 

Offline pwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2010, 07:32 PM »
yeah someone should dump some in there

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2010, 07:34 PM »
Like the State. Cough, Cough, Hint, Hint. 

Offline bradroy55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2010, 07:40 PM »
If they did so well in there back then why dont they restock it????  Because that would make sense, instead they will waste money stocking fisht that dont take. 

I think the state does not want to stock them because of the already thriving population of Smallmouth and Trout that are in their now. They may be worried about competition for food within the ecosytem and might be afraid walleyes may take over the whole lake. Just my 2 cents.
 And PWfisher, do I know you?

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2010, 07:51 PM »
I know they say they will eat all the food that Trout do and feed on Trout as well but why do bodies of water in VT like Champlain, Magog and Island pond just to name a few have a good population of both species?

Offline bradleyroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2010, 03:00 PM »
I know they say they will eat all the food that Trout do and feed on Trout as well but why do bodies of water in VT like Champlain, Magog and Island pond just to name a few have a good population of both species?

Waterbury is a lot smaller, Possibility?

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2010, 04:49 PM »
There are few examples I can use that have both fish but Waterbury is my best in comparison to size.  Waterbury Res is 860+- acres, Island Pond is 608+- I would like to hear what the state has to say.

Offline NJ_ICE_HUNTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Come on Cold!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2010, 07:33 PM »
Hi,

I will be staying at a home on Waterbury off "Blue Heron Cove" over New Years.  Can anyone point me in the right direction of Bait and Tackle in the area and any other usefull info on fishing this lak?  I am super avid at ice fishing so I am not looking for anyone's hot spots....just a point in the right direction and I 'll figure out the rest.  Also,....am I better off not fishing this lake and going to Champlain or surrounding smaller bodies of water?  Any info is greatly appreciated.

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2010, 07:42 PM »
The Fly Rod shop on route 100 heading towards Stowe sells bait.  I don't really know what he carries though.

Offline bradroy55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2010, 07:47 PM »
Hi,

I will be staying at a home on Waterbury off "Blue Heron Cove" over New Years.  Can anyone point me in the right direction of Bait and Tackle in the area and any other usefull info on fishing this lak?  I am super avid at ice fishing so I am not looking for anyone's hot spots....just a point in the right direction and I 'll figure out the rest.  Also,....am I better off not fishing this lake and going to Champlain or surrounding smaller bodies of water?  Any info is greatly appreciated.

Depending on what you are going for, but trout season isn't open yet, so if you want to catch decent perch, or pike, i would head north to Champlain. Also, the fly rod shop currently has spikes rosy reds and fatheads I believe. Shiners are coming in around the new year.

Offline pwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:41 AM »
I think the state does not want to stock them because of the already thriving population of Smallmouth and Trout that are in their now. They may be worried about competition for food within the ecosytem and might be afraid walleyes may take over the whole lake. Just my 2 cents.
 And PWfisher, do I know you?

Yeah Bradly its Parker wright

Offline bradleyroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2010, 04:49 PM »
Yeah Bradly its Parker wright
Ohh, gotcha

Went out today, watched a guy go through the ice, up to his knee about 40 yards in front of the blush hill launch. Honestly i dont know if it was an old hole or what, but i was out their and had at least 4 inches just a few yards away from where it happened, Fished with him for a while and caught about 18 smelt and a few perch. Kind of scetchy though

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.