The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Champlain Pike  (Read 1507 times)

Offline captstevepc

• Team IceShanty Regular
Champlain Pike
« on: Dec 20, 2010, 03:01 PM »
I am going to be up in Burlington at the end of Jan and was wondering if there are better parts of the big lake to try for Pike. Any advice that anyone is willing to share would be appreciated. Don't need super specifics just parts of the lakes or bays that typically hold fish in the winter.

Thanks very much!

:tipup:

Offline BCinVT

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Champlain Pike
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2010, 05:21 PM »
If you don't mind traveling a little,there's alot of good pike fishing in the Champlain Islands.Almost any place from the Sandbar to Mississquoi Bay,have good numbers of pike.Fishing should be decent that time of year.With a few bait shops along the way.Drop me a pm if you want more specific information on some areas.Good Fishin
Anyday you can be in the woods,on the water,or on the ice is a GREAT DAY

Offline masonp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2010, 05:22 PM »
When we fish lake champlain i usually go for pike and we have tried everywhere and i have to say the best spot that i have found is goose point. We have a lot of success out there it is anywhere from 5 to 20 feet of water... any where out there is good.. we usually get about 10 or more pike every time we go they average around 20 to 25 inches our biggest was about 4 pounds and 31 inches. well good luck out there  :tipup:

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2010, 06:47 PM »
North or south. The broad lake ain't no good. The large shallow bays is were you want to be. Set up near feeder creeks. Good luck.

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2010, 10:55 AM »
I have had great luck in Maquam Shore up in Swanton although I have not been there in a number of years.  I found some better spots closer to home.  Plenty of spots in Mallets Bay for pike.
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline captstevepc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2010, 03:02 PM »
thanks everyone for the info... I have a good friend that lives in burlington and we are willing to travel anywhere on the lake. I had heard that the islands area is good. I think we may check that out.  Thanks again!

Offline northern nightmare

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over i'll ice fish there too.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2010, 05:21 PM »
Be sure to check out the south side of the sandbar. Last year it started out pretty slow there but really picked up. Every year 14lb+ fish are caught there.

Offline diamondsteel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2010, 05:32 PM »
I was there monday and caught a 4-5lb northern, there was another guy that said he had caught a couple with his tip ups too.  Its tough on the weekends though, that spot is fished Hard.  Good luck

Offline northern nightmare

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over i'll ice fish there too.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2010, 05:37 PM »
I was there monday and caught a 4-5lb northern, there was another guy that said he had caught a couple with his tip ups too.  Its tough on the weekends though, that spot is fished Hard.  Good luck

How much ice was out there? I have a large shanty i put out there and usually wait for 10" or so before we haul it out.

Offline diamondsteel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2010, 05:40 PM »
seemed a little variable but about 4-5" where I was fishing.  -- no where near 10" yet.  still open water a few hundred yards out.  the weather still seems to be staying below freezing for the most part, so we can keep our fingers crossed that things will lock up soon up that way.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.