Author Topic: Keeping Minnows Active Under Tip-Ups?  (Read 868 times)

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Keeping Minnows Active Under Tip-Ups?
« on: Dec 18, 2010, 02:35 AM »
Hiya folks. Many years ago I heard a tip about keeping your minnows moving and that was to take a pair of nail clippers and clip a chunk of one of the side fins off of the minnow before sending him down the hole. I guess the idea was that with one fin cut in half it would be in a state of perpetual swimming action as it struggled to keep itself fully upright. Anybody ever heard this or tried this? I want to get into the late night
Walleye this season and it would be nice to not have to go shake up the minnows every 10 minutes. If anyone has any other tips in this regard it would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Bob Beeley
Rochester, NY

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Keeping Minnows Active Under Tip-Ups?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2010, 07:45 AM »
I have never tried it, as an old friend of mine told me the minnow would swim in a slow circle, and take line off the spool without tripping the flag. Maybe he was just keeping a good idea to himself?

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
Re: Keeping Minnows Active Under Tip-Ups?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2010, 08:16 AM »
I have heard of this, but it makes the minnow struggle more.  I think that they get tired and die easier.

I use small treble hooks, that keeps from killing the minnow.
I like the presentation to be as natural as possible. 
Don't worry, when a big Walleye or Pike show up, the minnow will be busy trying to get away.

Wiener

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.