Author Topic: COLEMAN LATEREN RUST IN FUEL TANK  (Read 2810 times)

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
COLEMAN LATEREN RUST IN FUEL TANK
« on: Dec 17, 2010, 08:39 AM »
I have be going through my Dad's old fishing stuff and found a two mantel Coleman gas Lantern, it's been siting on the shelf for years, I took the gas cap off and dumped out the rusty scale does anyone know of any way to save it ? 
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
Re: COLEMAN LATEREN RUST IN FUEL TANK
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2010, 08:50 AM »
POR-15
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2010, 08:55 AM »
Those older lanterns had a pump up valve, drop a drop of oil around the shaft of that valve and give it a few pumps to see if it will still get pressure. If not drill a hole in the bottom wire it for a bulb and make a lamp out of it. If is dose get pressure open up a couple of shot gun shells and bump the bbs into the tank and put a small amount of fuel in. Replace the cap and shake hard, make sure you turn in upside down while shaking. This will knock the rest loose. Dump fuel and rinse once more and you should be good to go. You have to rember that those old lamps had to warm up to work so when you first start it you might get some flame comming out the top. Be sure you are in a clear area when you light it up.
Take a kid fishing,they make great pack mules.
Put the big ones back for another day eat the small ones.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2010, 09:07 AM »
ive cleaned them out with keroseone and some bbs.put a little keroseone in the tank and swish some bbs around for awhile.

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2010, 09:38 AM »
Those older lanterns had a pump up valve, drop a drop of oil around the shaft of that valve and give it a few pumps to see if it will still get pressure. If not drill a hole in the bottom wire it for a bulb and make a lamp out of it. If is dose get pressure open up a couple of shot gun shells and bump the bbs into the tank and put a small amount of fuel in. Replace the cap and shake hard, make sure you turn in upside down while shaking. This will knock the rest loose. Dump fuel and rinse once more and you should be good to go. You have to rember that those old lamps had to warm up to work so when you first start it you might get some flame comming out the top. Be sure you are in a clear area when you light it up.

Now here is a guy with some experience!  Gotta love the info on this site!!!!
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2010, 10:14 AM »
Look on the collar for a model# and look on the bottoms for a date code.
Here is a website for a forum on Coleman lantern collectors.

http://oldtownyucca.websitetoolbox.com/

They are a wealth of knowledge.  Don't run a wire thru it.  Most can be saved and if they have family history all the better.

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2010, 10:34 AM »
THANKS.   Like I always say if you want to know something just ask those in the know,  and who knows more then the guys & gals on the SHANTY!

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2010, 11:59 PM »
I had the same thing happen to me, except I used some coarse fish tank gravel and fuel. After a few cycles of fresh gravel and fuel. Flush it with some clean fuel and you'll be good to go.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2010, 02:25 AM »
What he said.........
POR-15

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2010, 09:03 AM »
Thank's again guys I am using the BB method seams to be working fine.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.