Author Topic: Tackle boxes  (Read 1658 times)

Offline wngnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tackle boxes
« on: Dec 15, 2010, 08:17 AM »
 I have been using the Plano two sided flip open boxes for my jigs. I like the compact size but after a seasons worth of banging around inside the box they get a dull kind of sanded look. Anyone have a box they use that will keep the jigs looking good. When the jigs look like glass, It gives the colors depth. That should help catch more fish.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tackle boxes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2010, 08:39 AM »
I keep my small jigs in either a Fly Fishing fly box with the foam that you stick the hooks into. I also have a couple of the new small Clam jig boxes, same idea as a fly box. both work get as the jigs are not bangin all around on each other.

in my other boxes for bigger stuff I found some thin foam and cut it to fit the openings and put it in there and it atleast helps alittle.

But for what u are looking for (if i understand you right) would be a fly box or something similar.

Hope this helps and be safe,

J-

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2010, 03:55 PM »
Use a "fly" box like this one:

I love it because they aren't banging around, the case is 100% waterproof, and it's very small so it fits in my pocket.

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2010, 04:00 PM »
what i do is i hang the jigs on the side of the opening ad with this you never have to worry about pulling out all of your jigs when you only want one and when you close the box the box pinches the jigs down so they do not move.

Offline wngnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2010, 07:35 PM »
Sully, Who makes that box and where can I get one. Looks like you could put a hundred jigs in that one box. By the way nice looking jigs.

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2010, 08:13 PM »
It's a Flambeau Blue Ribbon, I think you can get them anywhere, can't remember where I got mine. Check the sponsors here on I.S. like Fish 307.  I think they carry the new Flambeau cases exactly like the Blue Ribbon box I have but they are made for ice fishing, just called "Ice Waterproof" I think ... might get a few of those for myself.

http://www.fish307.com/flambeauice3936SLI.aspx

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2010, 08:24 PM »
Hi Guys -

Not to take any business away from a shanty sponsor, but Gander Mountain online has the Flambeau Blue Ribbon fly boxes (these are the ones pictured earlier) on sale at really good prices and free shipping.  I just bought a bunch so I can swith my jigs/flys from the Plano divided boxes where they all bang around against each other.  The Flambeau boxes are nice.  Even on sale not cheap but good quality.

Tight Lines and Hard Water

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2010, 09:32 AM »
Actually if I remember correct, the box in the pic I bought from Dick's ... saw a price tag of $19 ... turns out it was mismarked and should have been $30, so they sold it to me for $20 due to thier error.  I see Gander has some on sale for about the same discount, but for some reason Flambeau has the same product marketed for ice fishing at half the price ... they must realize fly fisherman have deep pockets and us ice fisherman are broke HAHAHA!! The only difference I see is instead of gray and black, they are bright green and black. Here's the Flambeau site:
http://fishing.flambeauoutdoors.com/otdrs_fishing/flambeau_ice/waterproof-boxes.asp

All of them are WATERPROOF ... which to me is important.  Keeps moisture out and yes, they do float as long as the contents aren't too heavy (my box in the pic above still floats loaded up).  Had a few close calls near the ice hole :o

Anyway, looks like Fish307 has a bunch of them and they are much cheaper, but the same thing basically.  I think I'll buy a few more for my other jigs and another for my spoons.  Awsome product for sure, well worth the money.

Offline canfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2010, 04:48 PM »
Reedsports looks like they carry some of the Flambeau ICE stuff also!

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2010, 04:57 PM »
i use the bug luggage. they are made out of hardened rubber and pinch hold the jig in place. i think i might try the cabela's double nubby tack fly box as well. you can store jigs either vertical or horizontal with that one

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2010, 07:00 PM »
Another vote for the Flambeua Blue ribbon boxes. I have 3 of them, but didnt realize that they are now making an ice version that's a different color. The different color would be nice to help differentiate what's in the different boxes... at least narrow it down with the 2 colors. I own 3 of the original ones and love them!!

Offline wngnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2010, 07:33 PM »
Ordered one of the flambeau boxes today. Looks like it will work great and it sounds like people that use them are satisfied with them. Sullymon do you have a mold for the jigs in the center of the box. It looks like you make your own.

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2010, 08:41 PM »
They are sweet ... I couldn't be happier.

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2010, 07:37 AM »
Ordered one of the flambeau boxes today. Looks like it will work great and it sounds like people that use them are satisfied with them. Sullymon do you have a mold for the jigs in the center of the box. It looks like you make your own.

They just look like Diamond jigs
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2010, 09:51 AM »

Actually the middle section has mostly Fiskas Tungsten Jigs from Y.B.D., except the bottom 3 rows (in the middle sect.) which are Northland Mud Bugs, Gill-Getters, and Hexi-Flies.  The first section are all Gill Pills and Diamond jigs. Some of the jigs to the right are hand painted and hand-tied bucktail jigs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.