Author Topic: big shag and east bass  (Read 2409 times)

Offline searcher

• IceShanty Rookie
big shag and east bass
« on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:08 PM »
at least 15-18 inches of snow on the lakes, 5" of slush, pretty much gonna be a mess for awhile :'(

Offline berg285

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: big shag and east bass
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2010, 10:19 PM »
They i was out on little shag sunday morning till about 3:30 it was brutal sitting in 30mph winds..  glad we had the portable. There was about a foot of snow on the ice... It wasnt slushy yet but i bet it is now >:( i always hate it this time of year when the ice is getting good and we get dumped on ???... ice was anywhere between 4-6 inches.. Did pretty good on gills and bass more then enough bass for one ice season thats for sure

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2010, 03:23 AM »
That sucks....nothing worse this time of year then a bunch of slop on the ice!      Oh well...looks like im gonna get some wet feet there's no way I can take another day off!  LoL

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2010, 08:40 AM »
Checked out east bass...little and big shag and another secret place yesterday.      All had a few inches of slop!  Ended up coming home with soaking wet boots.

Offline woody38

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2010, 01:29 PM »
Has anyone made the venture to big bay yet?

Offline Westside Ben

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2010, 11:08 AM »
I was out on little shag over the weekend.  There was at least 6 inches of good ice then some slush.  We got a few rainbows and a couple perch Sunday, then got skunked up the next day. 

Offline unkymer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Michigan's Upper Peninsula
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2010, 04:10 PM »
Westside Ben, I'm not digging for specifics here, but I've never fished for trout through the ice and wouldn't mind hearing some basic information about how you go about it. Do you look deep, or shallow this time of year, any particular type of structure, if structure at all, and any tips on presentation. You don't need to provide specifics, but just a starting point for a novice on winter trout. I've ice fished my whole life, but growing up in central Wisconsin and didn't move to the U.P. until about a decade ago, which means I'm a bluegill/perch/northern/walleye guy on the ice, and with the exception of airplane jigs tipped with tube jigs (usually white) jigged deep on central Wisconsin's Big Green Lake (you can't use live bait there below 50' and most of the lakers are caught below that depth) I just don't know how to start.

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2010, 04:15 PM »
Unkymer,
  Trout are pretty easy to catch most of the time. I usually set my tipups in fairly shallow water (10 feet maybe). Use a #8 long shank hook, set it at about 7 feet down. Use a nice sized minnow, but not a hog- just something that will live and swim decently- maybe a 3-4" walleye minnow- not shiners. Sometimes they will hang out in the deeper water too- it helps to have a vexilar or other electronics to locate them. Trout are pretty mobile as far as depth- sometimes you can be fishing 40 feet of water and catch them 2 feet under the ice, and some days they will be at the bottom, or running the shore line in the shallows.

The bottom line is that you'll have to put in a little work to find them. Like I said, they are normally not really finnicky, so when you do find 'em, you'll generally catch them.

Tight lines!

K & G

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline Westside Ben

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2010, 10:15 PM »
I've been trying to catch trout through the ice for the last 2 years over here on the west end of the UP.  Last week was the first time we've gotten any through the ice.  With that said, we caught one on a jigging rap and the other on a little jig and waxie.   Depth wise we were just at middle depths trying to get perch/bluegill.  I saw a ton of fish on my flasher on Sunday, then Monday I didn't mark anything.  I really want to get better at trout fishing, but I just can't get good at finding them.

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2010, 05:32 AM »
Like killit said.  U never know where there gonna be in the water column.  I allways make sure I atleast have a line or two 1-3 feet under the ice.     I was fishing the other day without any luck and me and my two buddies were getting ready to leave and I slammed my jet sled a few times to get some ice off it and bam my buddy caught a fish while I was making all that noise not even 10 feet away 2 foot below the ice. I normally fish walleye and I know they don't like noise.  Maybe trout like it...who knows.  I thought it was kind of odd.  But definetly not a bad deal!

Offline unkymer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2010, 02:43 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.

Offline Rippenlips

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Is it a keeepeerrr???"
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2011, 02:57 PM »
fished east bass sunday, fishn was ok, we were sitting in 8ft of water and watched a pike maybe musky, come out from under the muck right underneath us, first the popped out then the rest of the fish came out. we were set up for quite a while never saw it come in just up from the muck, then we had a hawg dawg of a walleye come in and sit right under us for about 2-3 min, it wouldn't even look at our baits... what a tease!!!

Offline unkymer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2011, 04:11 PM »
It's funny you mention a hog fish there. It didn't happen during ice fishing, but one of the largest fish I've ever encountered happened on East Bass a few years back. I was jigging walleye on a stormy fall day, with fireline, and set the hook on something I couldn't even stop. It ran about 30 yards and circled, I tried to follow with the bass boat and when it came back at the boat and ran under I held the spool tight with my other hand and tried to work the line around the bow of the boat and it snapped, with the loudest pop I've heard for line snap. I never saw it, and have no idea what it was - but it was damn big. Just for reference, so you know when I say it was big I mean big, I have a 32-inch walleye, a 45-inch northern and a 50-inch musky on my wall at home. Yup, it was big and the kind of experience you don't forget - ever. Let me know if you catch it this winter. I'd like to see a photo of it, wheatever it was.

Offline IndIfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:47 PM »
Made the trip to Big Bay the end of last week,,,,SLOW,,,,fished in 17-21 fow off the boat launch,,marked a few small fish and had one decent mark in 5 hours of fishing. Very few lookers and zero takers.

Offline icedflies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2011, 10:24 PM »
Slow day out on East Bass for the group I was in.  Someone was out there looking for Big ARN.  I thought that was funny.

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2011, 01:57 AM »
Someone was looking for me?    Serious?

Offline icedflies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2011, 09:19 AM »
They thought someone in my group might be you - I've got a clam summit.  Big Blue Shack, must be BiG ARN.... was pretty funny.

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2011, 10:14 AM »
Yea. I've got a clam command post 13'6"x7'6x80" usually sticks out on the lake like a big blue sore thumb!   Makes me wonder who it was fishing out that way though.....didn't catch a name did ya? Or what they drove? Or what kind of shack?

Offline icedflies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2011, 01:02 PM »
No, he actually approached one of my buddies setting up tip-ups.  He actually had a laugh too - he reads your post on a different forum!

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2011, 04:37 PM »
Ok....I know who it is.  His name is Brad. I talk to.him on upangler.com

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2012, 10:18 AM »
How do you even get on Big/Little Shag?  I don't see a boat launch on the lake.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.