Author Topic: Holy Burbot  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Holy Burbot
« on: Dec 13, 2010, 12:49 PM »
You know the term "you should have been here yesterday."  Well I was there yesterday.  I probably caught over two dozen burbot btw. 4:30 and 9:30pm Saturday night.  The average size bot was right around 20-24 inches with the biggest being 29".  What was real strange is the area I was camping and fishing in has never produced a burbot for me.  I was so busy catching fish that I didn't eat anything and got real drunk.  Breaking down camp with a wicked hangover is not fun.  As usual the wind on Long was relentless.  Would have to estimate the temps btw 10 and 20 below.  In all the years I have been fishing Long I have never witnessed a burbot bite quite like that.  I am happy to say that every fish I caught is still swimming and will hopefully swim for many years to come.  As usual I encourage everyone to release there burbot and lake trout on Long.  A lake that gets as much pressure as Long cannot sustain a healthy population of burbot and lakers if everyone and there brother keeps everything they catch. The burbot population is looking pretty good though.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Holy Burbot
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2010, 01:29 PM »
Sweet. Thats awful fun when u can get into them like that. What was ur jig/bait of choice? Something new or an old stand by...Oh yeah theres no fish in long...lol

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2010, 02:19 PM »
I caught a few on a white tube jig but the majority of them came on my secret crappie jig.  I defiantly would not waste your time on Long, its been overfished. ;) ;)

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2010, 05:49 PM »
You know i do real good on small ity bity jigs if i can see it or am useing the camera.. long is over fished but it is a fun place with kids and a snowmachine as there is plenty of room to ride..

Offline trekk202

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish Head
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2010, 06:14 PM »
I went up fishing on Long also this weekend and I did not see AKhardwater catch any of those fish he is talking about.  We fished all day and in similar areas, but did not catch a thing.  It must have been that "magic" jig of yours that you were using and that you conveniently caught all those fish when no one else is around, except boulder I guess...

I have heard there are decent fish in Long, but have never caught any myself or seen anyone else catch any either.  Not only are there no fish in that lake, but the wind just howls down the canyon and makes it fairly miserable even in the shelter.  I am not headed back there any time soon.

This post will hold up to be true unless hardwater post pics... :)

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2010, 06:27 PM »
Your right trekk I didn't catch any fish out their and will probably never fish it again. ::)  Mabey I can humor you and dig out an old pic. 

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2010, 06:31 PM »
I think he whispers them up. ;)

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2010, 06:46 PM »
Your right trekk I didn't catch any fish out their and will probably never fish it again. ::)  Mabey I can humor you and dig out an old pic. 
Yeah I don't know how to post pics.

Offline trekk202

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish Head
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2010, 06:48 PM »
Ya of course you could find a picture of some old fish that you caught or better yet that your buddy pulled up and sent to you and say that it was from this last weekend.

I will send you a PM later man, but keep those fish stories coming.  ;D

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2010, 06:50 PM »
Ya of course you could find a picture of some old fish that you caught or better yet that your buddy pulled up and sent to you and say that it was from this last weekend.

I will send you a PM later man, but keep those fish stories coming.  ;D
Early to bed early to rise fish all day and make up lies

Offline trekk202

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish Head
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2010, 01:25 AM »

That is hilarious!  I cannot believe that I've never heard that before,...  Nice!

I read it to my wife and she did not find it as humorous though, oh well.

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God bless the USA and Canada!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2010, 12:10 AM »
We should make it the Ice fisherman's prayer   ;D
Bob

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2010, 05:17 PM »

HAHAHA!  Not a fisherman!  That's why we call them "fish tales" right??
TEAM ALASKA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.