Author Topic: Boot suggestions?  (Read 4116 times)

Offline hoss223

• IceShanty Rookie
Boot suggestions?
« on: Dec 12, 2010, 02:30 PM »
I was thinking of getting some new hard water boots. I would prefer boots that are warm for -10F to -40F range easy to walk in and not to clumsy.  How do these compare with each other.Cabela's Saskatchewan PAC $179.99, Cabela's Trans-Alaska 169.99, Cabela's Predator Extreme $159.99,Cabela's Inferno 2000 $139.99.  The Inferno 2000 looks the least clumsy in the pictures .  I anyone has tried these boots I would like to here your opinion, or if you can recommend some other boot that would be great to. Thanks

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Boot comparison
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2010, 04:00 PM »
I was thinking of getting some new hard water boots. I would prefer boots that are warm for -10F to -40F range easy to walk in and not to clumsy.  How do these compare with each other.Cabela's Saskatchewan PAC $179.99, Cabela's Trans-Alaska 169.99, Cabela's Predator Extreme $159.99,Cabela's Inferno 2000 $139.99.  The Inferno 2000 looks the least clumsy in the pictures .  I anyone has tried these boots I would like to here your opinion, or if you can recommend some other boot that would be great to. Thanks

I have the Inferno's and they are about the easiest to walk in and most comfortable Pac boot I have ever worn. My weakness are cold feet and they work for me.

When they ware out (which I doubt will be for a long time) I may look at Baffin's for replacements.

J-

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2010, 02:39 AM »
I have the pred extremes, and couldn't be happier.  I only wear one pair of socks and they are a wide boot which suits my wide feet.  I too was fishing in a 50+ MPH winds today and the only thing that I wasn't worried about was my feets......
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2010, 04:17 AM »
I have the Inferno's and they are about the easiest to walk in and most comfortable Pac boot I have ever worn. My weakness are cold feet and they work for me.

When they ware out (which I doubt will be for a long time) I may look at Baffin's for replacements.

J-

I have the Baffin -40s. My feet are warm for the first hour, after that it goes downhill.

Offline 69Stingray

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here fishy fishy.
Boot suggestions?
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:41 PM »
I have been cursed with my feet getting cold fairly quick and I'd like to get some good boots this year.  Anybody have any good suggestions that wont break the bank?  Thanks.

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Boot suggestions?
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:44 PM »
Boots are a hard one.....

Alot depends on the indivual person. Do your feet sweat alot. Have you tried different socks first?  I have 1 set of boots that I wear year round 800gm thins Rocky's anything more than 800 gram is too much for my feet they get too hot and then get cold.

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:45 PM »
Mickys!  ;D
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:47 PM »
LaCrosse Iceman or Iceking

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:56 PM »
I still have the old pair of Mickeys I traded a bud a bait casting reel for when I was in the army....he was stationed in Korea at one time. If your feet get cold in these then I think it is hopeless....better stick a tostie toe on your socks like I do when hunting deer in real cold weather with lighter boots.

Offline Dennis53

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:00 PM »
First get a good pair of Merino wool socks, than a pair of Baffins or as the other guys said.

Offline Tipup Master

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad start to the day!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:07 PM »
White Mickey's.  I have black & white ones.  Blacks work for me but the whites are warmer but heavier.  Waterproof all the way to the top.

Offline RowdyRay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:07 PM »
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/insulated-waterproof-pac-boots-by-guide-gear.aspx?a=88570

Had mine 5 or 6 years now. Never complain of cold feet. Get them a size too big so your toes have some wiggle room. There not light or pretty, but your feet will stay warm.

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:29 PM »
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/insulated-waterproof-pac-boots-by-guide-gear.aspx?a=88570

Had mine 5 or 6 years now. Never complain of cold feet. Get them a size too big so your toes have some wiggle room. There not light or pretty, but your feet will stay warm.
They sell mickeys also as cheap as any where i found......My 25 year old pair are just about due to be replaced.....get a size bigger than you normaly wear as RowdyRay suggests for what ever boot you buy. My Mickeys are 12...I normally where a 10.5 or 11, old Sergent T was a big guy that I traded with.

Offline wmu1989

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:33 PM »
Bought lacrosse Iceman last year-no more cold feet

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:40 PM »
Any one tried the light weight, supposed higher tech boots that have come out.....I like my Mickeys but would by a lighter pair if they keep my feet warm like these do.....just don't want to spend the money and then have cold feet.

Offline IceinKzoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2010, 10:04 PM »
I wear some Mucks.  They keep my feet plenty warm with a nice pair of wool socks.

Offline pzoch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:18 PM »
I love my Mickeys. I own 2 pairs now.
Also I have a pair of Redwing and Carolina
insulated boots with thinsulate both high tops
and waterproof,I have worn both on the ice
but you just can't beat the warmth of the Mickeys.

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:32 PM »
I have a pair of Cabelas Trans Alaska pac boots. Used them two years now, I love them, no cold feet. They have 3 1/2" of insulation under your feet. The only thing is they are not for walking too far. They were  $160.00 when I bought them.
Ice fishing is no catch and release sport.

Offline Broken81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:40 PM »
White Mickey's.  I have black & white ones.  Blacks work for me but the whites are warmer but heavier.  Waterproof all the way to the top.

+1
Cold is only a state of mind....

Offline TJR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2010, 05:21 AM »
Mickey's

Offline Tipup Master

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad start to the day!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2010, 05:45 AM »
Beware of Mickey imitations.  My brother bought a pair of whites that even had the air valve but obviously weren't government issue.  Authentic Mickey's should have a year of issue above the heel.

Offline terry fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2010, 05:47 AM »
Tell ya what, I have had a lot of boots over the years and what I have settled into is a pair of 600 mil Thinsulate boots that have rubber bottoms and leather necks, they have no liner, mine are older Columbias but they are comparable to the bugaboo boot by Columbia, I only wear Geinus socks from gander mtn inside them, Thinsulate Mareno wool blend, little costly but these are great socks. The best thing about this rig is that it is light when walking but still warm when sitting. As some of the other guys said buy at least one size to big you don't want them to fit like a nice tight tennis shoe. I like to add that sometimes on a really cold day if I am going to be sitting out in the open for a long period of time that I might add a toasty toe just for a little added comfort but its not necessary  Stay warm and as always FISH ON!  
Fish on !

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2010, 06:00 AM »
Ok! You said you have had problems with cold feet. In my opinion the mickeys won't help you. I have had all kinds of boots over the years. I also have had several kinds of expensive socks and tricks to keep my feet from freezing. All a big pain with bunched up socks while walking and the leg rash from the tops of those ANTIQUE MICKEY BOOTS. Do they work? Yeh they work because they allow you to get out and fish in some extreme conditions. Do they really keep your feet warm as toast or just tolerable enough to fish? Don't waist you money on antique technology you grandfather swore by. I consider myself one tough old man but I want to add smart to the list also. Do your home work and check out the Baffen Impacts for the Artic expeditions. Rated at -148. Several layers of new tech material. I sit right beside my best friends using their Mickeys. I can tell you they are fishing with cold feet but still fishing. I am fishing with warm feet and have to leave for other reasons besides my toes are cold.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline IceinKzoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2010, 07:55 AM »
Those Baffen's look sweet.  They look to come from Canada.  What stores carry them in the USA?  I would want to try them on first.  I hate ordering clothes or boots from the internet.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:23 AM »
I am from Niles and I drove all around Kzoo looking for them with no luck. I did go to a snowmobile shop and found Baffins for snowmobiling. I didn't want a snowmobile name on mine so I ordered on-line. I was able to try some on though not the same as the ones I got I liked what I saw and tried on. They didn't have my size anyway because I wanted a size 14. Order them on-line one size bigger than your normal boot size and you will be fine.

Offline IceinKzoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 14, 2010, 09:39 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the information.  I will look online and see where I can get them.  They look very comfortable and warm.

Good Luck fishing this season.  Won't be long.

Offline 69Stingray

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here fishy fishy.
« Reply #26 on: Dec 14, 2010, 02:00 PM »
Gander Mtn. carries those Baffins.

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 16, 2010, 07:17 AM »
anyone tried the baffin arctic lines? Had mild frostbite as a teen , now nothing seems to keep feet warm. Have tried up to 1200 thin boots , no good. Price isnt an issue.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 16, 2010, 07:33 AM »
From what I read the artic's are only -40. Go with the Impacts -148

Offline wile.e.1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2010, 07:36 AM »
Hey bug,  I just got a pair of Apex boots (polar line) Never saw a meaner pair of boots, Cant see how your feet would EVER be cold in these.
Heading up to north bay for a few days,,that should be a good test.What little time I have in them , I am impressed.  My last pair was a 1000Gr. pair of Rocky's..NOoooo  comparison, and looking at my old sorrel's makes me laugh.  If your feet's gets cold    check em' out.
Any info I can help with , just PM me
Remember those that served..All gave some...Some gave All

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.