Author Topic: tipup popularity  (Read 902 times)

Offline tipup_time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY POWER!!
tipup popularity
« on: Dec 11, 2010, 09:52 PM »
Ive been a die hard tipup guy for about 4 years now...i learned from an old-timer in northern minnesota how to catch walleyes on tipups and have been using them ever since. sometimes i dont even bring a jigging rod out on the ice, and when i do, i see the fish on the flasher and can never get them to bite...then a flag goes up and i pull up a nice walleye. over the years ive noticed that everyone else seems to use jigging as the go to method for eyes and as far as media goes, well you never hear anything about tipups..i would say 95 percent of the fish i catch are flag..i sometimes wonder if i am just really bad at jigging. but i actually do VERY well every winter using tipups with suckers. anyone have any thoughts as to why this is?
When hell freezes over Ill Ice fish there too

Offline Pautzke

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: tipup popularity
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2010, 08:18 PM »
I fish for trout and all i use are traps.I do not jig at all.I have tried it in the past with no luck.I believe jiggin is so popular becaue it promotes mobility combined with sonar.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2010, 08:24 PM »
I started out with using nothing but tip-ups.  Have since started jigging, but still have my tip-ups out.  I catch fish (walleye included) both way's, But it is more fun catching them on the rod..

Offline skinnytrucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2010, 09:46 PM »
This is only my second seaon on the hardwater but I share your pain with jigging. Never caught a thing with a jig rod but always have luck flyin flags. I'm also a pretty lazy fisherman and enjoy the peace and relaxation while waitin on a flag sittin in the shack but, when the flag goes up it's a real adrenaline rush for me
Da Buckless Yooper

Offline yog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2010, 12:16 AM »
have always fished with tip-ups only, but bought a pole and plan to try to hook up with some pike on that this year, but i will be a tip-up guy for ever :tipup:

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2010, 01:54 PM »
I prefer tips to jiggin.  I just like waiting for the flag and setting the hook and fighting the fish by hand.  When you get one that runs ther eis nothing better than letting that line slip through your fingers! 
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2010, 02:02 PM »
I luv my Polars, nuthin like runnin over to the flag and seeing the top spinning around crazily. But I prefer to catch fish with the rod/reel. I use my electronics (FL18) to scout an area while drillin and mark holes with fish returns and set traps in them. When I have my 5 in, I keep drillin and blow out another 5 -6 holes. Then I grab the rods and jig while watchin the traps. If its slow , I keep drillin and scouting w/ the FL18 and move traps and start all over again. Mobile trap/rod huntin`. Works for me.

Offline tipup_time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY POWER!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2010, 05:00 PM »
rott, i do a similar thing only im allowed a three line max.. So if i were to follow the rules id put two out, jig around and hole hop and then once the fish start hitting just throw out another board and take a breather... I agree about fighting the fish by hand. Not much in this life is better than a 10 lb walleye ripping line through your fingers. It bothers me to watch some people just yank the things up like the dickens.. heck they might as well hook it up to the truck and let er rip..
When hell freezes over Ill Ice fish there too

Offline stoutbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In ice we trust... sometimes
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:15 AM »
I made the switch to floro leaders last year, it is much more fun to have to fight the fish rather than "winch them in." It gets bit more than my steel leaders did and even the smaller fish can make a run. I will usually fish with 2 tip ups and jig one rod, unless the jigging gets slow. We are only allowed 3 lines. That is the way my dad did it, so like father like son.
Tight lines and safe fishing.

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2010, 02:37 PM »
the suckers have mare of a natural movement then jigs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.