The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Today  (Read 2504 times)

Offline Shimpdogg

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Flag up! lol just kidding. Got ya!
Re: Today
« Reply #30 on: Dec 14, 2010, 11:39 AM »
Same pond, same thing, same cop, same day. However I live on the pond so I waited till she ( the cop ) left and went right back out there.  But I found out that she also lives on the pond.......

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 14, 2010, 11:42 AM »
Nothing beats the fact that YOU can wake up the area with a gas auger @ 5, 6 or 7 am on weekends.
Fortunately most residents use the same waterways and don't mind sharing with the anglers.
On pond in Westford has a couple of residents that create a small skating rink in feront of their property, and I've never seen any angler ruin their work. Heck, most of these residents fish as well!

That's one thing I enjoy about ice fishing: the genuine friendliness of ice anglers.

I haven't come across any snooty, snobby, self-righteous lake front property owners in my travels. I'm sure they exist, but I've been fortunate enough to have avoided them.All we need now is ICE!!!!

Oh I have come by some snooty ones!  In the summer in my waders!  I walked into a local pond in my waders from the PUBLIC boat ramp and started working my way around the pond early one saturday morning.  I was up to my stomach in water enjoying the calm water when I heard a guy screaming at me to get of his property.  I turned around and he was on his deck in his boxer shorts!  I said I'm not on your propery and I walked in from the public boat ramp.  He told me to stay put while he called the cops!  I knew I was in the right....so I stuck around.....and kept fishing.  The cop showed up and the guy was screaming at the officer to get me off private property.  The officer asked me politely how I go onto the pond and I pointed to my car parked at the public launch about 200 yards away.  Needless to say I was allowed to continue fishing!  The lake front property owners only own up to the median high water mark....so if my feet are wet I'm not on private property!!!!!  
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline Wndflg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 14, 2010, 12:27 PM »
I've never been kicked off the ice but last year my pic was in the Worc. telegram fishing on 5" of solid black ice and there were many comments posted about us being fools for being out there and "potentially making local rescue workers risk their lives to save us".
There's a lot of folks that just don't get it...

Offline jtk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 14, 2010, 12:39 PM »
ive only had someone yell at me once for "fishing in a private pond". i love how he thought it was private even though there is a farm on it with public walking paths and 2 open public access points on the other side from the guys house. i just waived to him and kept fishing.
"give a man a fish and he will eat for the day. teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

Offline gopherfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:07 PM »
I typically end up going out by myself so err on the side of waiting until it is solid.  Hopefully soon, getting yelled at by cops/EP isn't what I consider to be a good time.

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #35 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:41 PM »
Got out today in leicester MA on 4inches of solid black...drilled my 5 holeas and had 5 tip ups in the water jsut got down behind me i hear//the ice is not safe please come here.  Leicester police.  they kicked me off.  so i had a no flag day..how did everyone else do
.  Leicester police.  they kicked me off.
in Rhode Island they cant kick you off state does not certify safe ice you fish at your own risk

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:56 PM »
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline bigbry068

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 14, 2010, 09:17 PM »
you do have to admit, not very often do you hear of ice fisherman drowning , it usually is someone playing on a river, or walking across at night,or with a snowmobile. Ice fisherman for the most part know the conditions of the ice , have the ropes, picks and partner  and half to expect to go in when conditions are iffy and are prepared , but on the other hand (just ask Flaggs)the worst  can happen even in the best of conditions.
youngest  G.O.D.S. member (grumpy old dudes)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.