The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Today  (Read 2503 times)

Offline tipupman123

• Team IceShanty Regular
Today
« on: Dec 11, 2010, 03:24 PM »
Got out today in leicester MA on 4inches of solid black...drilled my 5 holeas and had 5 tip ups in the water jsut got down behind me i hear//the ice is not safe please come here.  Leicester police.  they kicked me off.  so i had a no flag day..how did everyone else do

Offline leftovercrack

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Today
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2010, 03:40 PM »
man that sucks. i would of had a talk with him.   6 of us fished on 2 1/2 today

Offline jcrow931

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2010, 03:42 PM »
got to love bored cops, nothing better to do than ruin your day?

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2010, 03:48 PM »
That stinks, I hate it when the Police think they are Game Wardens...
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2010, 03:48 PM »
You can refuse them you know......

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2010, 04:05 PM »
isnt there a law that states it is unlawful to harass a person engaged in fishing or is that nh that has it. been kicked off before, i stay low and hidden as best as possible

Offline leftovercrack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2010, 04:07 PM »
what about the orange flags?

Offline mikeupton

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2010, 04:23 PM »
Can't blame them.  They don't want to see anyone get hurt.  you could always drill a hole and explain how much weight the ice will hold per inch, I think the Maine regs have those figures.  Either way, you got to drill a few holes.  That's a start.

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2010, 04:25 PM »
Got out today in leicester MA on 4inches of solid black...drilled my 5 holeas and had 5 tip ups in the water jsut got down behind me i hear//the ice is not safe please come here.  Leicester police.  they kicked me off.  so i had a no flag day..how did everyone else do

Should have told them to come rescue you haha
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline rickyriged

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Obsessed.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2010, 04:32 PM »
that susks >:( >:(
happened to me a couple of years ago on falls pond
had 8 inches of ice
nicely told him he was nuts [ not in those words]
police called fire department they said i could do what i want
but i was on my own ??? ???
:) Ill be home soon.:)

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2010, 04:51 PM »
Glad that has not happened to me i will tell them they will need to shoot me in the head to get me off the iceno hesitation. :tipup: sorry to hear it 4 inches is solid.
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline bojango

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2010, 05:02 PM »
They tried kicking me off last season....i told them no. he went back to his cruiser for a few minutes, then drove away.....theres nothing they can do

Offline fishsluggos

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2010, 05:21 PM »
Glad that has not happened to me i will tell them they will need to shoot me in the head to get me off the iceno hesitation. :tipup: sorry to hear it 4 inches is solid.

ROTFLMAO  ;D

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2010, 05:22 PM »
Ya man they have no legal right to kick you off. Just tell them to call the EP if they want you off.

Offline Joser06

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2010, 05:44 PM »
I have been kicked off a lake twice and had a cop attempt to kick me off last year. Sometimes  it isn't worth the hassle. I ended up making it out for a few hours today. Got a bass, pickerel, sunnie and a nice rainbow. bunch of flags lot of chew and screws. Fun working the flasher again. Still works:D

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2010, 05:54 PM »
Ya man they have no legal right to kick you off. Just tell them to call the EP if they want you off.
They actually do have the right if it is a town owned lake or pond. They are responsible for you unless there are signs stating to stay off the ice.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline fishsluggos

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2010, 05:56 PM »
man that sucks. i would of had a talk with him.   6 of us fished on 2 1/2 today

So how did you do?

Offline Stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just a kid until the end.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2010, 05:42 AM »
Googles ice safety chart: 
In general, the rules for ice thickness measurements are:

3" (7 cm) (new ice) - KEEP OFF
4" (10 cm) - suitable for ice fishing, cross-country skiing and walking (approx. 200 pounds)
5" (12 cm) - suitable for a single snowmobile or ATV (approx. 800 pounds)
8" - 12" (20 - 30 cm) - suitable for one car, group of people (approx. 1500 - 2000 pounds)
12" - 15" (30 - 38 cm) - suitable for a light pickup truck or a van
Member of the GODs, the Grumpy Old Dudes, "We're off our rockers."

Offline jonserfish1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hi, my name is Jeff and I'm a fishahaulic!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2010, 05:48 AM »
Googles ice safety chart: 
In general, the rules for ice thickness measurements are:

1" (2.5 CM) ONLY JDIP CAN FISH
4" (10 cm) - suitable for ice fishing, cross-country skiing and walking (approx. 200 pounds)
8" - 12" (20 - 30 cm) - suitable for one car, group of people (approx. 1500 - 2000 pounds)
12" - 15" (30 - 38 cm) - suitable for a light pickup truck or a van

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2010, 05:48 AM »

Here is a picture of a four wheeler from yesterday on Three inches of ice...  I would not recommend it, BUT he never got wet and even stopped a few times.

, , ,

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2010, 06:45 AM »
Whoa, thats just a little tor risky.

Offline Jay Fat City

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That Dummy Out on the Ice By Himself
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:05 AM »
I get thrown off at least three ponds a year, usually in Mid-February when you could build a castle on 15 inches of ice. Will there ever be a day when a grown-a$$ man can ice fish in peace in this nanny state ???? When I finally print up my "Ice Fishing Is Not A Crime" bumperstickers, I'll let y'all know.

Jay
  <=== On my car, on my sled, on my soul!

Offline ice hole bill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:13 AM »
The Cops in the town I live in told me can't throw you off the ice but recommend you come off the ice. If you refuse the tell you your there at your own risk. They'll watch you for a few minutes and leave. It's the people that call the cops are idiots. Good Luck out there guys and be safe

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 12, 2010, 08:40 AM »
I have been kicked off a lake twice and had a cop attempt to kick me off last year. Sometimes  it isn't worth the hassle. I ended up making it out for a few hours today. Got a bass, pickerel, sunnie and a nice rainbow. bunch of flags lot of chew and screws. Fun working the flasher again. Still works:D

not to shabby there bud. wish i was wit ya but gotta work to support the sport. how did the other coconuts do?

Offline Damurpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I love you red solo cup!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 12, 2010, 01:05 PM »
I agree with Ice hole Bill, cops get a call they gotta respond, some people don't want ya fishin' on "their pond" no matter how deep the ice is
Ice fishin' is for guy's who wanna sit around and drink beer all day cuz our wives won't let us do it at home!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2010, 03:35 PM »
A few years back I was fishing in Westwood on 6-7 of solid ice, AFTER the CHristmas weekend of rain.
The pond had a good inch if water pooled on top, so every hole became a drain..
the police showed up, called me over to inform me that they had been called by local residents because they thought the ice wasn't safe. I proceeded to jump up and down, as if I were throwing a tantrum, and plainly stated "Would I be doing this if the ice weren't safe!"
They gave me a wave and drove off.
Now, nobody came over to actually ask me themselves, they just called the police.

Sometimes it's being done in your best interest, but when these people don't have the facts, they come off sounding like self-righteous good samaritans. Personally, I would rather have someone think of my safety, even after I have taken all the necessary precautions.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline RE-PETE

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trying to teach my friend matt 300 how its done!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 13, 2010, 05:45 PM »
A few years back I was fishing in Westwood on 6-7 of solid ice, AFTER the CHristmas weekend of rain.
the police showed up, called me over to inform me that they had been called by local residents because they thought the ice wasn't safe. I proceeded to jump up and down, as if I were throwing a tantrum, and plainly stated "Would I be doing this if the ice weren't safe!"
Now, nobody came over to actually ask me themselves, they just called the police.

Sometimes it's being done in your best interest, but when these people don't have the facts, they come off sounding like self-righteous good samaritans. Personally, I would rather have someone think of my safety, even after I have taken all the necessary precautions.

very well said.
Matt300 and Repete as young-bucks teaching the bucks how to fish!!! this is where we separate the men from the ladies!

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:16 PM »
I agree, but it's annoying to be interupted while fishing. I had a cop tell me and two of my buddies last year we were fishing at our own peril. That was pretty awesome when the PA echoed 'peril' across the pond, I must admit...

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline Jay Fat City

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That Dummy Out on the Ice By Himself
« Reply #28 on: Dec 14, 2010, 10:48 AM »
Every time I get tossed from a pond, it happens to be by a State Police officer. There's something about those blue uniforms that screams, "Don't talk back to me, son."

I have a feeling the local liberals will have their panties in a bunch this winter. Hopefully I can get in a few hours of fishing in the dark before they wake up to walk the cat and read the New York Times.

Jay

<=== On my car, on my sled, on my soul!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 14, 2010, 10:59 AM »
Nothing beats the fact that YOU can wake up the area with a gas auger @ 5, 6 or 7 am on weekends.
Fortunately most residents use the same waterways and don't mind sharing with the anglers.
On pond in Westford has a couple of residents that create a small skating rink in feront of their property, and I've never seen any angler ruin their work. Heck, most of these residents fish as well!

That's one thing I enjoy about ice fishing: the genuine friendliness of ice anglers.

I haven't come across any snooty, snobby, self-righteous lake front property owners in my travels. I'm sure they exist, but I've been fortunate enough to have avoided them.

All we need now is ICE!!!!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.