The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 4'' but it was crispy  (Read 539 times)

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
4'' but it was crispy
« on: Dec 10, 2010, 05:49 PM »
i got permission today to use some private property to fish a small private pond so i went out to measure the ice. first i stood on shore and drilled a hole 2 feet from shore and got 4 solid inches. i walked about 10 feet out and the ice was cracking like he!!. so i drilled another hole and still had 4''? the ice was good, clear and without a crack. maybe it needed to crack from the pressure building up and just needed me to help it. idk but i got right back off from it, i'll wait another week!

Offline bradleyroy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 4'' but it was crispy
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2010, 07:57 PM »
At the begging of he season, you will notice the ice (especially smaller ponds) cracking much more, this is because at the start of the season you have one solid sheet of ice, just like say, a solid sheet of cardboard. Then as people go on it it stress cracks, similar to if you were to say, put weights on that sheet of cardboard, while this is in fact the ice cracking, it is actually just bulging under the weight which allows it to take more pressure. The ice has to form those cracks in order to be able to flex under the weight of people, ATV's, Ect. This is also why you see those big heaves in the ice, its all just the ice sheet flexing underneath the load. With that being said, No ice is safe ice and if you don't feel comfortable, don't go. And if you do feel comfortable, Be safe. Theirs a reason I only fish where its shallow enough that if I go through I could still keep my head above water when its early and late season... But I'm 6'5 with my boots on so I guess I'm not as limited as some  ;D   ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.