Author Topic: Wax on bottom of shanty?  (Read 2851 times)

Offline wheatfield Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wax on bottom of shanty?
« on: Dec 10, 2010, 04:28 PM »
 Trying to figure out what would be best to put on the bottom of my Nanook. Some have told me to wax it, trying to make it easier to pull thru snow.
Just installed the clam runners, but looking for opinions on if wax will help. Anyone tried it?

Thanks Tom

Offline Scott Beitzel

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Wax on bottom of shanty?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2010, 07:42 PM »
i have a homemade sled and like all newbies i got it stuck to the ice one day ( that a story in it's self)
but the next day before i left the house i just sprayed the bottom of it with a spray wax .
actually it is eagle one wax as you dry and it makes it nice and slick and never had the freeze to the snow problem again . but thats just me  hope this helps and it's easy .

Scott

Offline pabowhunter14

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish On!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2010, 08:01 AM »
Just use regular car wax works great, also do the poles in your shanty will keep them from sticking as well put a coat of wax on every year and helps alot.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2010, 08:06 AM »
Ditto,Pabowhunter14,you should be deer hunting! What are you and the groundhog going to eat on the ice this year? Don't worry Bulllifter and I got enough to feed you boys.

Offline panfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2010, 08:59 AM »
Ahhh. Miagi say wax on wax off! Try armour all. Works great and makes it shine.

Offline wheatfield Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2010, 12:17 PM »
Thanks , thats what I needed to hear.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2010, 12:18 PM »
Was wondering if silicone spray would work;spray a little on each time out...anyone tried it?
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline pabowhunter14

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish On!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2010, 08:47 AM »
Ditto,Pabowhunter14,you should be deer hunting! What are you and the groundhog going to eat on the ice this year? Don't worry Bulllifter and I got enough to feed you boys.
We can always count on you Captain!!!  Going back out for Ohio 2 day 18th and 19th and then muzzle in Pa and Ohio, I just have no luck.  We gotta have the pre ice fishing meeting soon I am ready to fish!!!

Offline Ice Blaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2010, 06:15 PM »
I started using a silicone spray last year it made a world of difference. Put it on every few trips, a quick spray and used a rag to spread it around.

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2010, 03:21 PM »
i have an older frabill flipover with the ugly molded in bucket holder that catches on everything. so i first put a piece of heavy aluminum sign under it to cover the indentations that were molded in.  that help alot but was real heavy. i also put ski,s undewr the aluminum which helped but was still heavy. last year i cut a rectangle out of the aluminum   screwed the ski,s to the aluminum and then placed a large piece of galvanized flashing under the sled and bolted it all to the sled..  the galvanized flashing, the real shiny stuff  really did the trick for me  snow didnt stick to it and it pulled great. and took a beating over rocks..  the 20 inch flashing was well worth it in my opinion.  i could probably do awaywith the ski,s and aluminum rectangle but havent had time so kept it the way it is.   so far the flashin seems to be the trick.  gotta be the shiny flashing though
youngster

Offline perch md

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2010, 12:14 PM »
Ski wax or spray silicone

Offline cold h2o

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2011, 05:24 PM »
i dont like wax. i use a dry teflon spray, like you would use in a snowblower chute.

Offline moonbeam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:05 PM »
Pam cooking spray.
WAIVER....."NO ANIMALS WERE ABUSED OR INJURED MAKING THIS MESSAGE."

Offline stinky fingers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~tight lines~
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:29 AM »
   i put that kevlar ( cutting board material ) on mine  :o   like they use on the bottom of air boats. slides good , sometimes to good ;D   got it from salvage yard   $15    good luck .

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2011, 12:29 PM »
I started using a silicone spray last year it made a world of difference. Put it on every few trips, a quick spray and used a rag to spread it around.

Glad to hear that ;D. I just sprayed the bottom of my Otter Den and Clam Nanook with silicone yesterday and have not tried it out yet.....soon ;D ;D.....WK

Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2011, 12:35 PM »
i dont like wax. i use a dry teflon spray, like you would use in a snowblower chute.

Like the Dupont stuff?

Offline beerfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • beer is proof that god loves us
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2011, 08:47 PM »
wax on wax off ::) ::) i like that idea it sure does make a difference i tried some rain ex it works great
when we fear the government its tyranny when the government fears the people its freedom

Offline firegems

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2011, 10:47 PM »
In the off season I will lay down a layer of glide ski wax and then rub it out with cork (just like skis). Its a "hard" wax so it will get me thru a entire season without redoing. Works great and lasts but its not the quickest or easiest.
SO MANY FISH.........SO LITTLE TIME!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.