Author Topic: Splake and Eyes  (Read 1264 times)

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
Splake and Eyes
« on: Dec 10, 2010, 07:46 AM »
Last spring I caught a bunch of smelt dipping. The big ones I kept for pike bait and thought I'd try the smaller ones for splake or walleye. Has anyone tried this or had any luck with it?

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Splake and Eyes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2010, 08:38 AM »
I've got a bunch of whole smelt that I rolled in borax and froze. They worked allright on meat rigs this summer.  Im hoping I can have some success this winter with them for pike..lakers. maybe some burbot.  I just can't replace live bait with dead smelt for walleye.  Ya never know though. Ill have to experiment a little

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2010, 08:56 AM »
I figured I'd throw a couple on tip ups and see what happens. For eyes figured if nothing else I could pinch the head off and see what happens

Offline natorious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2010, 03:30 PM »
I've caught many splake using smelt, usually jigging, not so much on tip-ups though.

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2010, 04:23 AM »
you can use the smelt for jigging, never had much luck using them on tipups for splake / lake trout
da splake chaser

Offline fishtrap21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2010, 12:27 PM »
I caught several splake and burbot in Munising Bay last year using frozen smelt so what the hell, give it a shot!

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2010, 01:19 AM »
I tried this last year without a whole lot of success. Honestly it was more a mess than anything else. But yeah like you said trying it wont hurt. I found that live baid is a lot better on tip ups, but at least it will save you some $ for not having to buy minnows. Good luck!  :tipup:
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline smokepants

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2010, 04:26 AM »
The only thing I have caught on smelt is pike, both summer and winter.

Neil.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.