Author Topic: Broken Pike  (Read 2042 times)

Offline trekk202

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish Head
Broken Pike
« on: Dec 10, 2010, 12:36 AM »
Here is a photo of AKhardwaters "brokebackpike".  

It was funky looking!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Broken Pike
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2010, 12:43 AM »
It must have been hit by a boat.  The wound was pretty much healed on it but you could definatly see a gash were something cut into it. 
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2010, 01:32 PM »
The gash had to be from the biggest Pike the world has ever seen. The thing must have had teeth the size of a boat prop. judging from the scar the predator fish must have been eight feet long. Every one should get out to a lake near them now to catch this thing because today its eating thirty inch pike tomarrow it will be devouring four year old kids playing by the lake. :o ::) ;D

Great fish. Did my direction help you out posting the photo Trekk

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2010, 02:09 PM »
I'm gonna need a bigger spear.

Offline trekk202

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish Head
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2010, 02:13 PM »
Yes Iced, it absolutely did thank you!  

When I first tried posting the picture it did not come up like I thought it would, so I was kind of scrambling, because my post was saying here's picture of the "brokeback" pike and all that showed up was a bunch of jibberish,... that would suck.  I tried deleting the post to refigure the thing, but it wouldn't let me do that, so I was finally able to modify the post and work on the picture again according to your instuctions and did get it to work eventually.

I thought calling it the "brokeback" pike was kind of funny, so I wanted to post it see who knows where the tag line come from.  Keep in mind that it was akhardwaters fish, not mine.  :)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2010, 02:16 PM »
Cool looking fish!  Were did you get that oddball?  Looks like a genetic defect eh. ;)
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2010, 04:27 PM »
What are you trying to say Trekk.  You remember meeting my wife.  If I recall I gave you the meet from that fish.  Hows the saying go you are what you eat. ;D    We pulled it out of Nancy lake.  It was defiantly hit by something.  It had a big scar on the opposite side.  I do like Iced's theory though.

Offline trekk202

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish Head
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2010, 05:14 PM »
Well, I was a little surprised by how the whole thing went down, but I did not end up with those fillets.  Your buddy, that somehow got stuck in my shelter with me, snaked that meat away and took them home with him...  What a riot! ::)

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2010, 05:42 PM »
Now that would explain allot about him.  That makes me mad I don't think I'll be calling him again.

Offline jigginstik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2010, 04:29 AM »
Hello All, I am new to this sight but I was interested in the " Broken Pike". I used to guide in the lower 48 on the Green river. I would always catch fish with broken backs. I learned when the fish and game electro- shocked the fish, it sometimes caused the younger fish to spasm to the point they would literally "throw their backs out" but it would never kill them. I am not sure where you caught the mutant but if the DNR has been in doing any type of fishing counting in the area they may have missed netting this guy and he swam away after he came to. The teeth marks are probably from another pike that was looking for an easy meal since ol' broke back was probably swimming a bit slow. Just my two cents. If you dont need can I have my two cents back? Obama spent the rest of my "change" and I "hope" I can earn it back. ;D

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2010, 10:22 AM »
Wierd but nice fish
hook and cook

Offline mikeupton

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2010, 03:33 PM »
Took a hard left chasing baitfish.  Pretty cool

Offline trekk202

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish Head
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2010, 04:32 PM »
That does sound crazy about the electronic shock therapy scenario.  Ya this guy was clearly hit by something in the last year or so.  It kind of looked like a poor spearing attempt or something, because you could see where he was hit on the back, but on his sides as well it was scarred down from that area a ways.

Definitely an interesting fish!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:17 PM »
My best guess would be a boat prop judging from the size of the gash and lack of teeth marks.  I am not quite sure it was a spear either  because there would have been a mark on the other side from were the spear tines would have spread apart.  I know this because last year my buddy speared a pike and the fish spread the tines apart leaving two identical marks on either side of the fish.  I highly doubt it was electro shocked mainly because it was a fairly fresh wound within the past year at least.  All the big fish that I have electroshock ed recovered very quickly making it very hard to catch them before they came to.  That and I don't know if fish and game even shocked that lake.  There's my four cents.

Offline GotEmHooked

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:21 PM »
prolly a eagle swooped hard and snatched it when it was young and the bird lost it in flight and it survived!!....my theory!

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:26 PM »
Probably the Champ got him. ;D ;D ;D

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2010, 07:23 PM »
Interesting. Goes to show how resistant they are.

I caught this one this past summer.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline trekk202

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish Head
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2010, 02:09 AM »
Wow!  Ya, I can't believe those dang Pike.
That is a cool picture for sure.

Any body else have photos of wacky fish?

Offline landlockedsalmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My wife said its her or the Vexilar,we'll miss her
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2010, 09:33 PM »
I have caught splake with the same defects,I asked the local game warden and he told me that it is some kind of arthritis,that fish get.I have caught splake with two bends in them,or one very bad bend.I throw the fish away,I am not going to eat something that looks like that.I have pictures somewhere,I will see if I can find them.LLS
If everyone concentrated on the important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishingpoles.......... ..............Remember we all live downstream

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.