Author Topic: frabill icesuit vs. the vexilar cold snap gear  (Read 4465 times)

Offline Snortwheeze

• IceShanty Rookie
frabill icesuit vs. the vexilar cold snap gear
« on: Dec 09, 2010, 12:09 PM »
just wonderin what the pros and cons of for the frabill icesuit (the black one) and the vexilar cold snap gear? both roughly around the same price so that inst a big deal...... just want to know what you all think of these two products? as of now im sorta leanin towards the frabill suit now but dont wanna go spend all the money on somethn i dont or wouldnt like.
thanks

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: frabill icesuit vs. the vexilar cold snap gear
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2010, 02:04 PM »
I can't comment on the Vex suit however, I couldn't be happier with my Frabill suit! I've worn it a few times so far and the can't say enough about the mobility I have in the suit. Very comfortable to wear for long periods and I love where they put the pockets. I used to wear both Ice Armor styles and the Frabill is much better...

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2010, 02:25 PM »
I cant help you with the Vex suit as I have not seen one up close and personal, that being said, they usually make quality gear

As for the frabill, I saw one last weekend and if i was in the market for a new suit, they would have my money in heart beat. They added some cool features to the standard ice suit, the quality looks great and they added tuffer material to the areas that need it (knees, elbows, butt)

Offline ny_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mike
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2010, 04:14 PM »
I have one season  on my vex suit and i love it ... lots of pockets generous room in the shoulders and thighs ... very warm ... well made .. love the padded knees and they are water proof .... no soggy knees for me anymore .Fished the western NY  get together last year was single digits in the am and high of 18-20 as i recall.Fished from 5 am till 10 pm and was toasty .
Where is the ice !!!!

Offline drkstr71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2010, 04:37 PM »
THe vex suitis great for the $$$. Bought mine last yearfor half the price of frabill's and couldn't be happier. I'm a big guy and have tons of room had many knee surgeries and can kneel all day. Wore it out in -25 w/c last year toastee warm. You can't go wrong

Offline fishin machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2010, 04:39 PM »
I just went through this same situation.
From everything I could find, It seems the Frabil is going to be hard to beat.
Mine should be here any day now.
If your gonna be dumb, You gotta be tough.

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2010, 04:48 PM »
I just have the Vexilar jacket. It is awesome!! Very warm and plenty of pockets for all of the crap I carry. I just wear some Wall's Bibs, and they are nice as well. Jacket has held up well for the past two seasons, and I believe it has a WHOLE LOT more life in it. Maybe i'll buy a new jacket in the next decade or 2...lol

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2010, 06:36 PM »
I got the full suit ... and sweat my "yang-yangs" off... The bibs are warm enough, that I don't have to wear the jacket in a heated shelter. 

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2010, 07:05 PM »
I got one of the first Cold Snap suits they made. Still in nearly new condition. Extremely warm and well made.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2010, 08:10 PM »
I was in the same boat as you and after some reading I bought the Sportsmans Guide "Guide Gear" parka and bibs. Looks like a solid suit for 1/2 the price. From all the posts Ive read they are as good as the VEX suit. 2 way zipper in the jacket, lots of pockets, reinforced knee's...looks like a good suit.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2010, 08:16 PM »
I don't know anything about the vex suit but the frabill suit is top notch. I was going to get the ice suit but opted for the sno suit. Seemed like it had more extreme designing to it and more durability built in.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2011, 01:42 AM »
vex bibs came for x-mas. so impressed, ordered the parka the next day.  happy with that too. good luck :)

Offline 200S

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2011, 01:48 PM »
Got the Vexilar bibs. They are awesome! Very warm. Was going to get the coat too. But after wearing the bibs out a couple of times, I dont think I will need it. Buy the time I get out and get set up I am almost to warm.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2011, 05:52 PM »
I am a plumber by trade. liked my vex bibs so much that I used them today for work. usually I get my carharts wet in the morning and am cold the rest of the day. >:( not today! bibs kept me warm and dry. Even hinting around to the wife about another pair... we will see if she bites. ;D

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2011, 08:15 AM »
I got the Frabill suit for Christmas. It is very well made and comfortable; very easy to move around in. Lots of well placed pockets. My only complaint; man is this thing warm! I've been wearing it with only a thin poly base layer and it is still too warm if you are doing anything active. One thing I really like is how the bibs fit. They a cut high and are quite warm by themselves.  If you want warm this is your suit.

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
Re: frabill ice suit vs. the vexilar cold snap gear
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2011, 09:09 PM »
I have the Vexilar cold snap I do not bring the portable shelter along any more.
Lot,s of pockets just don,t use all of them or you cant find anything. or is it just me.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2011, 07:41 PM »
The icesuit may be better, but for the money, I really like my Vexilar bibs. I don't have the parka.

Offline UpstateNYiceguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fear no fish....
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2011, 07:54 PM »
This is my 3rd season in the Vex gear...love it.  For the guys who only have the bibs...get the jacket as well.  Both pieces have a waterproof membrane which also acts as an incredible wind break.  Granted, I will sweat my tail off if I wear the jacket while cutting holes so I usually take it off for that.  But once I'm done doing the hard work and settled in, I just slip the jacket back on and I'm good for the day.  Been out in temps from  -10 all the way up to 50 degrees with the suit-just a matter of layering properly.  Tons of pockets and D-rings for all my stuff-all pockets are fleece lined to be used as hand warmers as well.
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while..."

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2011, 03:26 PM »
Love my Vex parka, got all the pockets you need, biggest problem is finding the phone when it rings... super warm, but not heavy.

Offline lives2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2011, 11:47 AM »
Is the frabill a shell type coat?
I saw some of them from a distance at cabelas and the look kinda plush like a regular winter jacket??? ???
No, I mean I REALLY REALLY LOVE TO FISH!!!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2011, 05:13 PM »
got vex gloves the other day. they have material inside that I don't like, because of dry skin. gives me the chills every time I use them. also got the frabill gloves- seem a little too bulky.

Offline Altidude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2011, 08:35 PM »
Is the frabill a shell type coat?
I saw some of them from a distance at cabelas and the look kinda plush like a regular winter jacket??? ???

Yes, they are insulated. Very warm. Excellent suit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.