The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pike bait  (Read 2636 times)

Offline Linginator

• IceShanty Rookie
Pike bait
« on: Dec 06, 2010, 12:08 PM »
Thought I would open a round of commentary on pike bait for tip-ups.  We usually use smelt or herring.  Anybody else use other baitfish that seem to be do well?  Half fish or whole fish?  Stink juice?  Sinkers in the bait to weigh it down?  

Other tips out there for hauling in the manbearpig pike?

MG

TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII P UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP!!!!!!

Offline mtjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pike bait
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2010, 12:21 PM »
Never put sinkers in a smelt, but you have to pop the air bladder to get them to sink.  I just cut them open like I am gutting them, the way I see it this just aids in scent dispersal.
MT

Tinker

« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2010, 01:04 PM »
Used to put a nail in the smelt, now just use the big triangle smelt hooks.  Also have found that you can put a couple frozen smelt in the ice hole in the shanty.  They float when froze, in about 20-30 minutes you will find it has a 1/8" or so of ice around the smelt.  When it looks like that simply flex it and the ice comes right off and the smelt is thawed, never had a problem getting them to go down after learning that trick.

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2010, 07:58 PM »
Where is a good place to buy smelt? 

Offline Krakkon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2010, 08:04 PM »
What is and where do you get "triangle smelt hooks"?
Also, ya where do ya buy smelt?

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing makes a bigger fish than one almost caught
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2010, 09:30 PM »
BUY SMELT AT BIG BEAR OR SCHEEL'S.  IGA IN LAUREL ALSO HAS THEM IN THE FROZEN SEAFOOD SECTION.  SAW THEM THERE LAST WEEK.  PERSONALLY, HAVEN'T USED SMELT MUCH SINCE LIVE BAIT WORKS SOOOOOO MUCH BETTER.  I FEEL FOR U GUYS WHO CAN'T USE LIVE BAIT, BUT SOME GUYS DO PRETTY WELL ON PECK FOR PIKE WITH SMELT SO THEY MUST WORK :-\ - OH

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2010, 10:55 PM »
6-10 inch squawfish
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline OnchiotaNeck64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2010, 11:06 PM »
Over the years I've found that 8-10'' suckers are a prime pike bait, along with chubbs pulled from the trout streams.

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2010, 07:55 AM »
I have tried a number of baits for pike over the years and nothing even comes close to being as effective as smelt. It works well for me.
The worse day fishing is still better than the best day working!

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2010, 08:38 AM »
BUY SMELT AT BIG BEAR OR SCHEEL'S.  IGA IN LAUREL ALSO HAS THEM IN THE FROZEN SEAFOOD SECTION.  SAW THEM THERE LAST WEEK.  PERSONALLY, HAVEN'T USED SMELT MUCH SINCE LIVE BAIT WORKS SOOOOOO MUCH BETTER.  I FEEL FOR U GUYS WHO CAN'T USE LIVE BAIT, BUT SOME GUYS DO PRETTY WELL ON PECK FOR PIKE WITH SMELT SO THEY MUST WORK :-\ - OH

I also feel for those who live West of the divide. Flatlander for life.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2010, 08:47 AM »
I guess we just have to rely more on skill to catch em
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2010, 09:14 AM »
try jigging for them...
Live Free Or Die.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2010, 10:10 AM »
When I have found them Frozen Sardines have been the most productive Pike bait I have used.  I use the Norwiegen(sp) Pike hook method, they look like 2/3rds of a mini coat hanger.  Frozen Smelt seem to vary in their quality quit a bit.  Freezer burnt smelt don't work worth a P00!  I don't use sent, other that the "juice" in the bait bag...pour it done the hole...

I have thought about trying Menhaden Oil...have heard it works...

Offline coldsmoke81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2010, 10:23 AM »
if your using a steel leader with a swedish hook. with the hook by the head, the smelt will float naturally. 4 inches from bottom and u have it made. I've caught a lot of pike on smelt.

Offline Zoo Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't sweat the small fish!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2010, 02:21 PM »
Juz do`nt get caught using Perch for bait,illegal here on the eastern flats,do`nt know about the western side of the state.
I do believe it's legal as long as it's dead bait...I only use belly meat or eyes anyway...I could have swore the regs say you can use game fish as bait as long as it's not the entire fish... if anyone knows for sure let me know...i don't exactly want to get fined

Offline mtjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2010, 02:35 PM »
I do believe it's legal as long as it's dead bait...I only use belly meat or eyes anyway...I could have swore the regs say you can use game fish as bait as long as it's not the entire fish... if anyone knows for sure let me know...i don't exactly want to get fined
Zoo,
I believe you can't use any edible portion of the fish, so eyes are OK; not sure about the belly meat but I imagine that it is OK to use.
MT

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2010, 02:49 PM »
I have seen several pike taken with a hotdog on a pike hook.  My uncle used to always put one hotdog in the trap line and several times it caught fish.  From what I remember thought the days the hotdogs worked we were catching lots of fish anyways.
l

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2010, 03:44 PM »
I've had a lot of luck with smelt.  Every pike lake I've tried to fish on, the smelt seems to be the best way to go.  Even on a live bait lake I'll set half my tipups with smelt.  The Mustad L hooks work the best, like everyone is describing they look like a two sided triangle.  Just slide the barb in the bunghole then push the shaft along the inside of the stomache and poke the tip out the back of the head.  I like to use food coloring also.  Green and yellow work well, I've had less success with orange.  You only need about 3 drops of color for a bag of 10-12 smelt, it gets messy if you use too much.  The only thing with the L hooks though is you have to keep an eye on them, they work well with quick sets but if your only checking sets every couple of hours you will lose the fish that set them off.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.