The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: *How long does it take to make safe ice?*  (Read 22440 times)

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
*How long does it take to make safe ice?*
« on: Dec 05, 2010, 01:28 PM »
if a SMALL lake already has a skim of ice on it, how long does it take to make safe ice? With the temperatures given ( high 30's low 20's-teens?? With light to variable winds??)?

Thank you very much

Icefisher40  8)

Offline pikefishmen

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: *How long does it take to make safe ice?*
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2010, 01:34 PM »
a week or two

Offline BONECRUSHER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LOVE TO GET IT WET
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2010, 01:40 PM »
Thats almost like the " What came first, the chicken or the egg ? " question.
Depends on the winds, temps, snow, the lake itself and ect.
I would agree with pikefisherman under perfect conditions ;D

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2010, 01:52 PM »
if a SMALL lake already has a skim of ice on it, how long does it take to make safe ice? With the temperatures given ( high 30's low 20's-teens?? With light to variable winds??)?

Thank you very much

Icefisher40  8)

Here is a rough guideline:

-Jeff

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2010, 09:44 PM »
a week or two

LOL!!!  A week or two??  If a lake is skimmed over where the wind can not cause wave action, it will make 1/2 to 3/4 inch a night with a low near 20.  You can walk pretty safely on 3 inches unless you are 300#.  A lake with a full skim should be fishable in 3 to 4 days assuming no current, no snow and temps not over freezing during the day.  If you wait 2 weeks you may be drilling 8 - 10 inches of ice.

Offline sam419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2010, 11:07 PM »
Too long :'(

Offline TJR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2010, 12:27 AM »
not soon enough

Offline gulllakefishn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fishing
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2010, 04:15 AM »
It is really tuff to say without knowing the lake Springs if any and location- I am sure you know what clean good forming ice looks like. If your spud doesnt spud doesnt go through on two solid hits in the same spot with decent force to heavy. your looking at two min. inches of ice. Around here some seasons on some lakes we get thaw refreeze ice know the difference its misleading. best of luck

Offline Tipup Master

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad start to the day!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2010, 07:04 AM »
SkeeterJeff........Coo l chart!  Never seen one like that before.  Nice to have an idea of what a 15 Deg F will do to the ice.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2010, 08:26 AM »
LOL!!!  A week or two??  If a lake is skimmed over where the wind can not cause wave action, it will make 1/2 to 3/4 inch a night with a low near 20.  You can walk pretty safely on 3 inches unless you are 300#.  A lake with a full skim should be fishable in 3 to 4 days assuming no current, no snow and temps not over freezing during the day.  If you wait 2 weeks you may be drilling 8 - 10 inches of ice.

This is not entirely correct....you have to take in account the damage caused in the daylight hours and snow insulation. Ice melts almost twice as fast as it builds and unless the surface and air temps stays below 32 degrees 24 hours in a day (and average 20) it will be damaged. The chart above is fairly accurate under optimal conditions (no snow and no rain) and water temp at 32-33 at surface. So with no snow in a 2 week period you might get there, but it is unlikely to have optimal conditions for 2 weeks here in Michigan. Not trying to be a buzzkill, but you have some younger members that take this to heart and attempt to go out before they should because we give things in a best case scenario. I want to get out there like everyone else, but I also want everyone to come home from every trip also.

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2010, 08:44 AM »
anyone who ice fishes exp. the ones pushing there luck on the ice should make sure they read on what to do if you fall through and how to be prepared when they go out and what to do if someone else goes through...it could save your life..
FISH ON

Offline skunkmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2010, 08:56 AM »
We might be fishing by this weekend if we don't get any snow. 

Offline IceArmorGuy2

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Give Me Beer Or Give Me Death
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2010, 12:36 PM »
Regardless of how cold it is a 20-25mph wind will slow down the process, which we have around here for the next couple days.
Times Never Wasted, When Your Wasted All The Time

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2010, 04:00 PM »
This is not entirely correct....you have to take in account the damage caused in the daylight hours and snow insulation. Ice melts almost twice as fast as it builds and unless the surface and air temps stays below 32 degrees 24 hours in a day (and average 20) it will be damaged. The chart above is fairly accurate under optimal conditions (no snow and no rain) and water temp at 32-33 at surface. So with no snow in a 2 week period you might get there, but it is unlikely to have optimal conditions for 2 weeks here in Michigan. Not trying to be a buzzkill, but you have some younger members that take this to heart and attempt to go out before they should because we give things in a best case scenario. I want to get out there like everyone else, but I also want everyone to come home from every trip also.

If you read what I said, I said NO SNOW, NO CURRENT, AND TEMPS BELOW FREEZING DURING THE DAY.  I have seen small lakes go from a skim to 3+ inches in 3 days with lows in the teens and highs in the upper 20's.  Once the wind can't cause wave action or current it can build ice pretty quickly as long as there is not current under the ice from an inlet or spring.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.