Author Topic: Sharpening Eskimo Quantum blades  (Read 4388 times)

Offline iowabucks

• IceShanty Rookie
Sharpening Eskimo Quantum blades
« on: Dec 05, 2010, 11:13 AM »
Hey everyone, my buddy has an Eskimo Mako or Shark gas auger (not sure which one) that has the Quantum blades. I know the Quantums are a chipper style blade.

Has anyone ever had much luck sharpening these blades rather than buying new ones? What kind of angles do these blades have on the cutting edge?  

I thought maybe having someone sharpen them would be cheaper than buying new ones. I would do it myself but haven't had much experience with sharpening knifes, blades, or broadheads. The blades are only one year old and not bad, but i'm just looking for future info.

Thanks, Jerry.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Sharpening Eskimo Quantum blades
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2010, 11:31 AM »
Jerry...I have the same blades on my Stingray...here's what I do, I've sharpened my knives by hand to razor edges for years...so maybe that helps a bit,... but, here we go:
I have a Smith's Arkansas Stone kit..they come with a soft and a hard stone. (it's off white color..the hard stone) I take the hard stone,which is 4" x 1", put some honing oil on it and the blade, and after every use, (this way you keep the proper edge from day one,) run it flat on the bottom of the Quantum blade, starting at the sharp edge and stroking towards the back at a mild angle. The stone is just the right size to lay flat the length of the blade. Five or six slow sweeps across the bottom of that blade, and it's like a razor. (Ask my knuckle)
Remember to keep the stone FLAT on the blade and well oiled. I then carefully wipe the oil/metal dust off the blade, and put a light coating of silicone oil back on them. I guess if you don't feel comfortable sharpening knives/blades, this might not work well for you.But if you start from day one to keep that angle, and don't have huge nicks in your blade, it'll work well. Total time it takes me to hone my blades is about 5 minutes. Well worth doing it after every use. Hope this helps!  :)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2010, 11:41 AM »
If you follow RebellSS's instructions I think you will be pleased with the results. I sharpen Mora, Lazer and Jiffy chipper blades using a similar method and it works well. Just follow the existing angles and make sure you remove the bur formed on the cutting edge. I usually use a small diamond lap/hone to sharpen mine however the proper stone works just as good.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2010, 12:00 PM »
Yup...those edges on any auger blade are precisoned cut. If you follow Rebelss advice, you're good to go. But once those edges are compromised in any way, they're tough to bring back... pretty much junk...and none of them are cheap!
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.