Author Topic: Kawartha Lakes Ice  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
Kawartha Lakes Ice
« on: Dec 05, 2010, 07:41 AM »
It appears that in just one night of solid below temperatures was enough to have a thin, thin layer of ice form across the lakes here.  I haven't checked again today but it appears that we will be fishing here in a week or two at most.  I will check back in a few days and see how much uniform thickness there is.  I can't wait to get out!!!

Offline guardbr8kr

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Kawartha Lakes Ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2010, 07:43 AM »
I know there are quite a few ponds with ice north of Bancroft already, I'm just hoping the BOQ gets some ice on her soon.   :)

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2010, 04:15 PM »
Well I was out for a tour today and all the protected bays have a solid 3" of ice as Chowder_Head and I checked it out.  On Pigeon Lake there are still some open spots but they are getting smaller and smaller.  The west end of Chemong Lake is frozen over too with roughly 3" of ice but towards Bridgenorth and the causeway it still remains open.  I have yet to check out Rice Lake but I will be sure to do so tomorrow.

Cheers

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2010, 04:38 PM »
here is ChowderHead on the ice on a back portion of Pigeon...

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kawartha Lakes Ice updated Dec 7th
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2010, 11:39 AM »
The South West end of Pigeon has roughly 5" of ice but it's still not safe in my opion.  This was only in a protected bay so ice will not be as thick out in the middle of the lake.

I ventured down to Rice Lake just out from Halls Landing and was happy to see that the entire lake from my view point of course has froze over.   The ice is not safe at all as it's only 1-2" thick at most.  

That's it for now,
Cheers

Offline guardbr8kr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2010, 01:23 PM »
Thanks for the report Airs24.

Offline hamiltonmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2010, 05:38 PM »
awesome!!! thanks for the report

Offline timeforice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2010, 08:40 PM »
was out on chmong this afternoon there was about  3 inch of ice more then enough for a lil guy like me. there is still a few places where there is  open water but should be frozen up by the weekend. id add some pics but im not sure how :tipup:

Offline snoozer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2010, 12:25 PM »
Did some ice fishing in the Kawarthas this morning, not too far from Peterborough.  3 inches of good ice, although the shorelines are pretty slushy - and the sunshine today isn't going to help that.  I had only planned on testing the ice, but of course I had a rod in the truck and had to fish, even if only for the few minutes I had free.  Managed one fish - that's all it takes to make me happy this early in the season.

Offline PoCo Loco

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'm willin' to do the drillin'
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2010, 01:38 PM »
Okay Snoozer.......now I am officially jealous :'(. Congrats on the first fish of the season. 3" isn't enough for my overweight frame so hopefully it stays real cold.

Checked our local marina yesterday....it's starting at the edges but still a lot of open water.

Offline cimarron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2010, 01:50 PM »
Congrats on i the first one that I know about.  Will be heading out tomorrow to try my luck up here in Ottawa. 

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2010, 01:59 PM »
Snoozer what lake where you on? Always interested where to find ice

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2010, 09:42 AM »
Finally was able to get out for the first time yesterday.  Took one of my sons and my sisters boyfriend out on Pigeon.   I am much closer to Rice lake but I haven't fished Pigeon in the winter before so I though I would give it a go.  We were out for about 4 hours and I only managed one little perch, which is better then getting skunked I must say.  We moved around a lot and still couldn't mark any fish, but the good new is that the ice is a uniform 6"-7" across the lake now.  I"m going to head out again on Rice this week so I will report back later.

Cheers

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2010, 11:39 AM »
Took a quick drive out to Halls Landing on Rice lake to test out my new 7" Mora hand auger and check out ice thickness.   It looks to be about 10" now with two inches of snow on top.   Saw plenty of snowmobiles and atv's on the ice as well.   I"m going out tomorrow to check out a hole so I will post back then.  

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.