Author Topic: Glide-Lite Sled  (Read 4300 times)

Offline FWFeecherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!
Glide-Lite Sled
« on: Dec 03, 2010, 01:22 PM »
Hey gang.  Usually don't sit down much when Im ice fishing so I have always used a 5 gall bucket I rigged up to hold my gear and rods.  This year I am going to have to sit down some and was wondering if anybody could tell me some things they like or don't like about one of these if they own one.   Thanks and tight lines and screamin drags to ya!!!!

Offline BMW20

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Glide-Lite Sled
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2010, 01:37 PM »
I love mine for early and late ice. They are small enough that they aren't a PITA to move around and large enough that you can carry some extra stuff. Heres a few pics of mine and some of the modifications I made to it -

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2010, 07:06 PM »
Yep what BMW20 (my fishing buddy ) said. here are some pics of my glide lite.

J-

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2010, 07:29 PM »
I like mine and my offset handle 5 in SM fits and rides nicely in the middle rod hole.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline FWFeecherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2010, 12:18 PM »
Thanks guys!  How well does it pull in the snow?  Say 3 or 4 inches?  Does it bog down?  Thanks again for the info and Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!!!

Offline BMW20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2010, 03:47 PM »
Thanks guys!  How well does it pull in the snow?  Say 3 or 4 inches?  Does it bog down?  Thanks again for the info and Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!!!

Pulls just fine in 3" or 4" of snow. I would actually compare it to my old jet sled which is surprising since the jet sled rids on top of the snow due to its flat bottom. It is probably just a tad harder than the jet sled, but not by much. Also, the newer version that is currently for sale (such as JJC155 posted) is a little bit easier to pull in snow than mine which is an older version from the first year they were out. The newer version added another toboggan runner in the middle, about half-way back. My original version only has the 2 toboggan runners. Near as we can tell the 3rd runner wasnt added to make it easier to pull, it was added because strikemaster started using thinner plastic in the top portion of the sleds and the middle toboggan was needed to support a person sitting on their bucket while in the sled. My sled is made from the same plastic from top to bottom which is the really thick plastic that used currently used only on the bottom of the sled. Also, I recommend a 6 gallon bucket rather than a 5 or 7. With a 6 gallon, the bottom of the bucket rests flat on the floor at the same top the lip of the bucket rests on the top of the sled - it provides support on both ends of the bucket. With a 5 gallon bucket - only the lip at the top of the bucket is supporting your weight and with a 7 gallon bucket only the floor of the sled is supporting your weight as the upper lip is not touching anything (hope that all made sense ;D)

Anyway, they are really nice for what JJC and I use them for. We move ALOT while chasing fish and they are small enough not to be a PITA while pulling on early / late ice.

Offline FWFeecherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2010, 06:49 AM »
Awesome guys.  Thats exactly the kind of info I was looking for on these.  I am going to go check one out now.  The only thing left for me to check is to see if it can hold my big butt!!!!!   Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!!

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2011, 10:18 AM »
i am pretty big as well it hold my a*&#$ just fine i love it for a small sled holds a lot of stuff gander sells them if you order on line no shipping charges i also like some of the mods you guys did with it cool stuff thanks for the pics

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.