The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Homemade ice fishing box  (Read 14062 times)

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Homemade ice fishing box
« on: Dec 01, 2010, 05:57 PM »
Back in Dec. 29, 2009  "quesnelvt" wrote asking about homemade ice fishing boxes. I'm from Indiana and have probably made ten, with Coleman lantern, etc. Years ago, 1961, when I started ice fishing, everyone around here and in Lower Michigan had one .No portable shanties back then. We just sat out in the open on our "boxes". Everyone was different and custom made. There were really some neat designs.In fact I am getting ready to build myself another one next week. Mine is getting a bit worn and is a bit too low for my knees. I sent some pictures of mine to a friend in Minn. last year. If you would be interested I could post a couple here or I could email them to you. my email is :[email protected].
Let me know if you are interested.
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline grampieshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Homemade ice fishing box
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2010, 06:27 PM »
I can't speak for everyone on here but I'd love to see what they look like.Please post some pics.Thanks..
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2010, 06:30 PM »
I would love to see what you made,I need to make something like that also.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2010, 12:41 PM »
Trying to get picture from Photo bucket, having a problem.
Hope I got it. Think that's it. Any questions. I'm starting a new one tonight! ;)
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2010, 05:45 AM »
Nice piece of equipment....

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2010, 05:58 AM »
Please explain the the idea of the metal tubing that you set the ends of the pole into. Does it have another purpose?
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2010, 09:46 AM »
The aluminum rod that has 3 small holes drilled in the handle, holds my rods when I walk away from box in case a "BIG ONE" hits. Prevents rods from going in hole. Has happened. Also when not holding rod in my hand, holds rod in proper position along with bent coat hangers toward end of rod.
 Look closely at the aluminum rod. When pulled forward , becomes handle for pulling box. Tried a rope for many years and got tired of box tipping over when manuvering over rough land and hills and breaking mantels in lantern. Mounted two small eye bolts on either side of box that rod slides on with a small screw and nut at each end that acts as a stop.
 The rod works great and when fishing, pushed against front of box serves as rod holder along with bent coat hanger for rod tips. Custom made rods, 4' long, sensitive enough to not need spring bobbers. When in holders prevents wind from moving rod tips so bite is easily detected.
Have cup hooks screwed into ends of rod handles. Cut them off a bit so can get a "Quick Draw" out of holes in handle when get a bite and not holding rod.
Lantern really heats up and keeps hands warm. Often don't wear gloves.
Good fishing.
Teacher Preacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:26 AM »

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2010, 12:23 PM »
Michigan, I just took a look at your collection--- cool! On my boxes I have an oval cut on right side below where my butt sits with a little frame that I attach a plastic bag to. Bag goes inside the box. When I catch an eater I just slip it in opening and into bag. Sneaky!!!!
I too have a notch cut in the back so rods and long handle ice skimmer fit below seat lid so it closes tight. I use to use glass or plexiglass in front but now I just lift up hinged plywood section in front of lantern for night fishing. Heat goes up don't cha know. Really dont lose any heat.
For you "Young Guys" that haven't seen these boxes. One thing you must be aware of. If ice is smooth and you have lots of wind, be careful when you get off the box! I've had them blow entirely across the pond! Like a rocket!  ::)
Good fishing!
Teacher Preacher

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2010, 10:47 AM »
Michigan, here is picture of Handle extended-
Teacher Preacher

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2010, 06:40 PM »
That handle on the front is so simple it borders on genius...............I noticed your name is RA Gross, is that Richard Allen Gross?

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2010, 05:04 AM »
Michigan, here is picture of Handle extended-(Image removed from quote.)
Thanks! I am going to have to add one to my wish list for the collection ;D

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2010, 09:42 AM »
R.A. Gross would be Richard Allen. And you live in Porter???
Do we know each other?
Teacher Preacher

Offline quesnelvt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2010, 11:17 AM »
  Hello again it has been some time since I asked about the fishing boxes. That is box I was asking about. I have only seen one other last season here in Vermont on Lake Dunmore. It is similar except he had a glass front so it gave of light in the early am. or late pm.  I have a portable shanty but on some days that would be just the thing to move about the ice with out a lot of effort. I plan on building one this season. Thanks for the pictures they are very helpfull.
See you on the Water Johnny Q

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2010, 06:21 PM »
I had glass in front of mine but kept breaking. Then I went to plexiglass.It would bubble from heat of lantern. Need to have some holes in it. Now I just raise up the hinged wood section. Don't lose any heat as it goes up. Hold up with piece of solid eletrical wire. Hard to find a piece that is not stranded.
I just completed a new box Saturday. made this one a little higher. Easier on the old knees. Painting and staining today. Ready to go. We've had cold temps since last week. Close to zero tonight. Won't be long now!
Good fishing and stay safe.
Teacher Preacher

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2010, 08:28 PM »
I moved up here in 1985, originally from Elwood Indiana.  Thats where my dad lives and grew up, he is also a Richard Allen Gross.  No I don't believe I've ever met you.  But I do live in Porter.

Offline chicken doodle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2010, 06:50 PM »
I have one of these boxes too. I bought mine at a local baitshop this summer. I have yet to try it out. Still waiting on ice. My box has a removable screen above the lantern. There is no wooden lid like yours. I was wondering if the lantern gets warm enough to cook me a can of soup on top of the metal screen. Sure would be nice to have a warm lunch on the ice.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2010, 08:46 PM »
Ive been told guys make grilled toasted cheese sandwiches on them not sure about soup.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2010, 10:05 AM »
You bet. We take hard rolls, ham and cheese sandwichs, wrapped in foil, lay on top of lantern or screen as you mentioned, will burn bread if you leave it on too long. Can of soup, no problem. Take label off, paper will burn. Don't leave it on too long= Boom! Punch a tiny hole in top or just don't leave it on too long. Just enough to warm soup up.
Years ago fished with a guy that had a HUGE box  setting on a set of old skis. If there was a hill leading to the water he would ride it down the hill. Had two arms on either side with a lantern in each one with plexiglass fronts. Had space above lantern where he would slide in TV Dinners. Same guy would take a 12 volt car battery in box to light a floating sealed beam for night fishing crappies. He was a BIG man! ;D
Lots of laughs!
Teacher Preacher

Offline JaRoHe

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Isn't She a Beauty!!!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2010, 09:39 PM »
I just completed a new box Saturday. made this one a little higher. Easier on the old knees. Painting and staining today.

Any pics of your newly finished box???

I absolutely love the design, I'm thinking I need one for inside my popup!!!

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2010, 09:47 AM »
I don't have any pics of the new box. It is really the same as the old one. Just 2" higher and 3" longer with a padded vinyl seat. I'll see if i can get some pics today.
Teacher Preacher

Offline JaRoHe

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Isn't She a Beauty!!!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2010, 10:56 AM »
Does it get hot enough in the lantern compartment to catch fire... have you ever heard tell of one of these going up in flames???  I've seen other examples/designs of lantern boxes on this site and they all appear to made of wood...

I'm only asking to be on the cautious side... don't really want my 3 man popup to go up in flames!!!

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2010, 06:01 PM »
My lantern compartment is 12"w x 10"deep x21" high." The rear of compartment is open from the height of seat, 16" where I place my hands for warmth. We use to drill holes about 1/4", along either side of lantern compartment. We were concerned about safety I guess but the last couple I built I didn't bother. The door in front is held shut with a kitchen cabinet magnet. There is a small gap around door, not air tight. On back side of lantern compartment the plywood is 2" below height of seat, or 14" high. That allows some heat to travel to rest of box under your butt. It Is also where I grab it to pick it up with one hand. Also have a cabinet door handle in front and rear at top edge of box on outside to pick it up with two hands to put in pickup.

Now, truth, I saw one guy have his lantern blow up through the top. He was not sitting on it at the time! I assume he had a malfuntion in his Coleman???? We were young and dumb and laughed our butts off. The second box I built was a Christmas present for my Dad. The first time he used it the jam nut on his lantern was not tight and he had quite a flame shooting up through the lantern compatment. I ran over and jerked it out of box and turned gas off. Other than that, I've seen hundreds on the ice and never a problem.
But to answer your question, no, lantern does not get that hot that it will burn. My old box was
only 18" high in the lantern compartment and lid above lantern got scorched a bit when I first used it, so I put a piece of aluminum on underside of the lid which took care of problem. If that is a concern make lid of compartment 21" high. And most of all, keep lantern in good working order. That's where problems arise.

I have a 1/4" piece of plywood with a hole cut in center the same diameter as bottom of lantern. This piece is nailed to a 4" piece of 1"x2", on edge, on either side of lantern compartment. It sits just below pump of lantern. Then I bent the handle of lantern down so it fits under a small screw fastened to front side of lantern compartment. There is a bit of tension there. That along with the bottom of lantern pushing against plywood with hole cut in it, keeps lantern  from moving around and breaking mantles while in transit.

Don't know if you can follow all this. If confused, send me another question.

I have seen boxes  made out of aluminum. There is a picture of a couple somewhere on Ice Shanty, but I can't remember where? Might have been Indiana?
Good luck!
Teacher Preacher

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.