Author Topic: Heritage tip-up modifications  (Read 14182 times)

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Heritage tip-up modifications
« on: Nov 28, 2010, 12:36 PM »
i decided to modify my Heritage lakers to perform even better. first, i applied marine spar varnish. (2 coats) then, i put a 3 1/2" bolt through the upright arm to keep the spool from coming off without tools. also, i can set up spare spools for different situations as needed. the wingnut can only make 1 revolution, and the locknut keeps it secure.

i put washers on to keep the bolts from pulling into the wood, and added lock washers to the cross arms to lock them in place.

i also put reflective tape,(white), on the top of the upright arm, and the tip of the flag wire, to see if i have a flag in the dark.

i can wait to put them to use!!! ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline JoeJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Becky and Grampa Joe
Re: Heritage tip-up modifications
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2010, 01:36 PM »
 :thumbsup: Looks good from here.....

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2010, 03:00 PM »
Nice upgrade. To bad they don't come like that.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2010, 03:23 PM »
Nice upgrade. To bad they don't come like that.
i agree! i'd pay a couple more dollars for the upgrade.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline antlerdawg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2010, 01:19 PM »
i put a 3 1/2" bolt through the upright arm to keep the spool from coming off without tools. also, i can set up spare spools for different situations as needed. the wingnut can only make 1 revolution, and the locknut keeps it secure.

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

On this part, do you use the existing plastic washers that come with the trap?  Hard to tell from the pics.  Hate to ask put can you pull one apart and do a schematic layout of the post?  If not I understand but I would like to upgrade my Heritages that way with stainless.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2010, 02:57 PM »
On this part, do you use the existing plastic washers that come with the trap?  Hard to tell from the pics.  Hate to ask put can you pull one apart and do a schematic layout of the post?  If not I understand but I would like to upgrade my Heritages that way with stainless.
yes, i used their plastic washers, both washers.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2010, 03:02 PM »
Do they use a bolt now for the reel or did you replace the brass (?) stud that they used?

The white marks on the reel makes very good sense!

MD

Offline antlerdawg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2010, 05:33 PM »
yes, i used their plastic washers, both washers.

Thanks, what was the diameter of the 3 1/2 screw?

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:31 PM »
Thanks, what was the diameter of the 3 1/2 screw?
32? i don't know. i'll look tomorrow!

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:39 PM »
I think I remember them being 10/32 Pooley. That's what I used for my upgrades on my Hi Flags. They had a 8/32 in them originally.

Offline matty23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • gone fishing...........
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:43 PM »
I think I remember them being 10/32 Pooley. That's what I used for my upgrades on my Hi Flags. They had a 8/32 in them originally.

iam thinking oletimer should open his own tip-up making/refurbishing them.... i saw his newish tip ups and must say there nice looking!!!
matty23

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:28 AM »
Do they use a bolt now for the reel or did you replace the brass (?) stud that they used?

The white marks on the reel makes very good sense!

MD

i replaced the brass.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:56 AM »
It's nice upgrading your traps allows you to be familiar with them.
It also allows you to keep spare parts which can save the day out on the ice.

Wiener

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2010, 10:10 PM »
You right Pooley, a lot of maufacturers seem to make good products but cut a few corners in hardware to cut costs. Those upgrades to yours will make them last a lifetime. Well worth a few bucks more at time of purchase.

Offline BigDdoney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is best!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2011, 11:00 PM »
ive lost 3 or 4 spools because of that brass stud falling out,finally did same thing and haven't lost one yet.

Offline gil_lunkage

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2011, 11:02 AM »
wow, i better upgrade mine, i have lost one nut(haha), but luckily not the spool.
"Don't hate me cause you ain't me"
~ Some Dude

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2011, 06:05 AM »
you have the flag arm on the wrong side ;D ;D

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2011, 09:34 AM »
you have the flag arm on the wrong side ;D ;D
hahahahaha, no, i don't. that's the storage side, so it doesn't pop out when in transport. ;D

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2011, 05:26 PM »
nice modification(s). i basically did the same with mine except i used a nylon locking wingnut from ace hardware instead of the lock nut and wing nut.   i found that the wing nut alone would spin itself tight at the worst time.  i use the nylock wing nut as/for the drag too. i pitched the drag mechanism that came with the tip-up as it wasn't needed anymore.
i used reflective tape from a safety vest glued in place with FABRI-TAC glue on the upright post and on the flagshaft.  works great first light, last light and really shows up nice with a small handheld spotlight at night.
the last thing i did was take off the cross sticks and turned the base into an H frame similar to the polar or Indian Hill.  used 1/8'' aluminum plate on each end and a piece of 3/4'' aluminum round stock drilled thru for the 8-32 bolt as a spacer.  the upright doesn't sit in the center but, off to one side. works great. not tippy.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2011, 12:20 PM »
nice modification(s). i basically did the same with mine except i used a nylon locking wingnut from ace hardware instead of the lock nut and wing nut.   i found that the wing nut alone would spin itself tight at the worst time.  i use the nylock wing nut as/for the drag too. i pitched the drag mechanism that came with the tip-up as it wasn't needed anymore.
i used reflective tape from a safety vest glued in place with FABRI-TAC glue on the upright post and on the flagshaft.  works great first light, last light and really shows up nice with a small handheld spotlight at night.
the last thing i did was take off the cross sticks and turned the base into an H frame similar to the polar or Indian Hill.  used 1/8'' aluminum plate on each end and a piece of 3/4'' aluminum round stock drilled thru for the 8-32 bolt as a spacer.  the upright doesn't sit in the center but, off to one side. works great. not tippy.

i'll have to look for the locking wingnut! i saw that my set-up might cause problems! thanks!!!

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2011, 08:37 AM »
nice modification(s). i basically did the same with mine except i used a nylon locking wingnut from ace hardware instead of the lock nut and wing nut.   i found that the wing nut alone would spin itself tight at the worst time.  i use the nylock wing nut as/for the drag too. i pitched the drag mechanism that came with the tip-up as it wasn't needed anymore.
i used reflective tape from a safety vest glued in place with FABRI-TAC glue on the upright post and on the flagshaft.  works great first light, last light and really shows up nice with a small handheld spotlight at night.
the last thing i did was take off the cross sticks and turned the base into an H frame similar to the polar or Indian Hill.  used 1/8'' aluminum plate on each end and a piece of 3/4'' aluminum round stock drilled thru for the 8-32 bolt as a spacer.  the upright doesn't sit in the center but, off to one side. works great. not tippy.
can you post a pic
thinking of changing my sticks
thanks   :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2011, 05:53 PM »
i do not have a way to post pictures right now.  i'm computer illederate, i couldn't cut, paste and forward if it ment winning the lotto. . . . if you PM me, i will email you the pictures and you can post if you would like.   will include a picture of the hole covers i use from coroplast, election signs or place setting mats too. 

Offline jmaster69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2015, 01:58 PM »
I was wondering how they assemble the spool. How does it turn freely on a bolt

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2015, 01:15 PM »
I was wondering how they assemble the spool. How does it turn freely on a bolt
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       the bolt is smaller than the hole in the spool :-\ :-\

Offline jmaster69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2015, 12:38 PM »
yeah but too small and it will wiggle. Im looking at how they managed to keep it snug but able to turn freely without spool wobble

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2015, 06:21 PM »
No wiggle, the bolt is the same size as the brass stud.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 04, 2015, 07:43 PM »
My plastic spools were tight from the factory, I drilled out the spools to make them turn freely, no problem with wobble.
It must be something in the water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.