Author Topic: Hard Water Rookie  (Read 1284 times)

Offline trekk202

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish Head
Hard Water Rookie
« on: Nov 27, 2010, 07:07 PM »
I am fairly new to the hard water fishing scene, but I already can't get enough of it.  So far it has been gaining experience by trial and error, with a few successes here and there.  I absolutely love getting out on the ice regardless of whether I catch anything or not, but it sure does curb the criticism and jokes from family and friends if I actually catch a fish or two. 

It seems that there is a balance to keep when asking for tips about lakes, lures, locations and such.  On one hand I want to learn as much as I can from those of you who have mastered the fishing in the area, as well as, I know that my continued efforts and experiences will gain me that same type of knowledge eventually.  Having said that I am definitely open to suggestions, ideas, tips and overall some good chat here on the forum of generally what has been figured out for some great ice fishing here in AK. 

I have caught some rainbows at some of the basic, easy access lakes here in the Valley, but I am really looking to get into some lakes and fish that put a heavier bend to the rod.  I have tried Lake Louise a bit with very little success.  I would like to get up there more, but the combination of the lake size, the fish species and my overall lack of knowledge make it difficult.  I also tried Long lake once last year with the same result.  Almost 100% of the time I get out to ice fish I do not keep my catch; there are enough in the freezer from the summer and really would like to eventually be able to get on to bigger and bigger fish.

Often my two boys go out with me (6 and 4 yrs old) and last year we picked up a portable shelter to make longer trips a bit more possible and comfortable.  This year I hope to get a flasher as well in hopes that it will be a usefull tool in locating more fish.  Any information, tips or chatting you can give me for this year on the ice, would be greatly appreciated.  Please post any thoughts you have for me or send me a PM if you prefer.

I look forward to getting out often this year and maybe even catch up with a couple of you a long the way.  Take care and good luck! 

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Hard Water Rookie
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2010, 02:54 PM »
Welcome to the hardwater trekk202. You are well on your way to becoming an addict like the rest of us on here.
A flasher is a real good buy to help in finding fish. Another very useful thing is a snowmachine for accessing many of our AK lakes in winter. Have you got a snowmachine? This helps in determining what lakes you will be able to access.
many of our best fishing lakes up here are difficult to access on foot by midwinter and some never are foot accessible.
I live on the Peninsula so really can't help with your valley fishing. If you ever get down this way look me up and I am sure I can give you some tips and Tricks that I use.
Hope you and your boys have some good fishing this winter!
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2010, 03:32 PM »
Welcome to the insanity trekk202.............. ... ;D

Though I have fished hard water for decades, I'm new here too. Surfed in a couple of weeks ago and liked enough of what I saw to sign up on the spot. Good info and great folks.

Good luck to you and two thumbs up for including the boys! My girls never liked it much but my son is a monster of my own making.......

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline trekk202

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish Head
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2010, 02:12 AM »
Right on guys, thanks for the replies!

I do have a snowmobile that I can use with a decent jet sled to tow the gear behind.  I have used it a little bit to get to the cabin on lake Louise and the fishing there of course, but I have not used it to access any other lakes in the area, I guess that is one area that I am hoping to learn more about where I can go to get on some good fishing. 

I was out this Saturday and talked with a couple of guys that said that Flathorn is a good lake to get onto some good Pike fishing.  I have not looked it up yet, but it sounded like that would have to be a snowmachine accessed lake.  Pike would definitely be some fish that I would like to pull through the ice, but have not done so yet.  Also just some rainbows or other fish on some lakes that get bigger than pan frier's. 

Anyway, I will keep checking back on the posts and replies from all of you on this website, because its great seeing the pictures and learning from what others are doing.  I actually would like to make it down to Peninsula area, I have heard of some bigger lakes down there that have some great hard water fishing on them, so I may touch base with you later this year if we head down that way.

Take care guys and good luck on the ice!

Offline trekk202

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish Head
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2010, 12:53 AM »
Anyone in the Anchorage and valley areas have some suggestions for Pike fishing?  I have heard a couple lakes tossed around, but I have not been anywhere for pike yet and would really like to pull some up through the ice.  I do not have a spearing set up yet, so would be just looking to use tip ups and jigging a bit.  Any suggestions would be great???

Offline arcticat500

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I fish, therefore I'm broke...and hungry!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2010, 12:03 PM »
Nancy Lake State Recreation Area is probably your best bet.  You can hit Red Shirt lake by snowmachine once they open the trail up (anyone know if that has happened yet?).  North and South Rolly lakes have pike, as does Nancy Lake itself.  Nancy lake you can't use 5 lines though.

Offline arcticat500

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I fish, therefore I'm broke...and hungry!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2010, 12:07 PM »
You can also check out this link.  It lists all the lakes with known pike populations.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Statewide/InvasiveSpecies/index.cfm/FA/pike.SCListing

Offline trekk202

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish Head
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2010, 08:57 PM »
Thanks ArcticCat, I will check into that link and the lakes you mentioned.

Offline trekk202

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish Head
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2010, 11:48 PM »
Well, how about this whole spear fishing dealio?  I have read a lot of your posts talking about it, but I have never done it myself and really hadn't heard of it until recently.  Don't know that I should admit this, but when I worked at Sportsman's Warehouse a couple years ago I thought those decoys were just a decoration or something for you diehard fish lovers.  I had no idea that they were actually a tool for fishing and I had never heard of spear fishing from the ice, my old home in the lower 48 had no such thing.

Anyway, I do hope to get out and try it sometime soon.  So, what advice could any/all of you give me about where I can get the proper gear and tools and if there are choices, what you have found to work for your individual spearing styles the very best???

Thanks again for the great info, I can't stop thinking about fishing and I really love this website!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2010, 11:58 PM »
You come hang out with me this weakend and we'll see if we can't get you to stab a 10lber like my first time. 
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline trekk202

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish Head
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2010, 02:22 PM »
Ya Hardwater I think that might work out great.  I will give you a call sometime today or tonight and we can figure out some details and see if we can make it work.

Offline trekk202

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish Head
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2010, 05:54 PM »
Wow, I just saw a ice fishing spear at Sportsmans and I can't believe what they want for that thing.  Has anyone used one of those type specifically?  Also, I have done a little bit of fabricating myself, it did not look like anything that couldnt be figured out with a bit of enginuity, has anyone out there used or constructed a custom built spear and if so, any major draw backs?

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2010, 07:00 PM »
the tines gotta be good steel and that barb is tough to fab.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2010, 07:15 PM »
Most of my spearing equipment including my spear and darkhouse were given to me by an old friend from Soldotna a few years before he
passed away.
Lots of people make their own spearing gear. You can even buy the spear heads on ebay and finnish them yourself. They
usually cut them via lazer/plasma cutter.
I would talk to Darkhousefisher I believe he lives in the valley. He is a welder/fabricator and I have seen pictures in the spearing
forum of his homade spear. He seems to know what he is doing with a welder and a spear.
Also check out the spearing forum here on Iceshanty. Lots of good info. Youtube has some good videos as well.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.