The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Keyhole: One more year?  (Read 3624 times)

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Keyhole: One more year?
« on: Nov 24, 2010, 05:58 PM »
Just returned from a quick trip to Keyhole - needed to get out of the house today! Wind Creek bay is iced over with open water out past the rocky points on both sides. Marina is open water, over by Pats Point ice is starting to form and Coulter Bay has some skim ice and open water. Mist was rising off the water across the lake so it will be some time before it is fishable.

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Keyhole: One more year?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2010, 06:20 PM »
Thanks for the report man..

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2010, 06:29 PM »
That another lake on my list I need to fish. I've been by it a few times but never have fished it yet.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2010, 07:23 PM »
Shoulda been there a few years ago!  ;D

Offline FireonIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2010, 08:52 PM »
Thanks for the info!!!! An I agree on the couple of years ago...... First walleye I ever caught was a 10 lb 30 incher that is on my wall now! Bring on the ice :tipup:
Bojo

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2010, 09:17 PM »
That another lake on my list I need to fish. I've been by it a few times but never have fished it yet.

It is one I would like to try as well
Don

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2010, 08:49 PM »
Fished Keyhole today... First spot was between the Marina and the dam but found the ice to be a bit sketchy. 2"-3" with a bit of air in it so I made a move to Wind Creek. Most of the ice was close to 6" or so with some thinner sections, I drilled north of the boat ramp. No real action until sunset and then it turned on from 30' into about 15'. Managed to break in some chubby darters and a lindy slick jig tipped with Berkley minnow. Had a nice one at the hole and somehow it slipped the jig when it went up against the bottom of the ice. Took a couple of eaters home released the rest.

Went past a group who offered to let me fish with them and their exact words were, "We're kickin' the #$%@ outta them!". IS.com members???  :tipup:

Offline VegasIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2010, 11:37 PM »
gunna be out there tomorrow for most of the day with some friends from work. Well have a blue clam summit and a black sled if anyone wants to stop by and say hello. Would like to place faces with names.
A bad day fishhttp://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t65/wyohound/for-wyomingites-only.jpging beats a good day of work.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2010, 01:40 AM »
I may be out for the evening bite.  ;)
So many fish, so little time.

Offline kemp14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2010, 10:33 AM »
Thinkin about headin to keyhole sometime. New to Gillette and was wondering if there was a bait shop around keyhole where i could get some info. I assume so but not for sure. thanks.

Offline msmith1956

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2010, 03:23 PM »
contact the Empire Guesthouse in Pine Haven, bait, tackle, info. and lodging 307-756-3454

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2010, 06:15 PM »
contact the Empire Guesthouse in Pine Haven, bait, tackle, info. and lodging 307-756-3454
You should look into sponsoring the Wyoming thread --- especially if you're looking to get bidness from it.  ;)

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2010, 06:44 PM »
kEYHOLE  is a great place to fish, I use to  go there for a long weekend once a year when I lived in Casper.   Keep us posted how you are doing
olefish

Offline FireonIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2010, 06:51 PM »
How good is the ice??? Is it okay for ATV's yet?  Planning on hitting it this weekend. Any info would be appreciated.
Bojo

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2010, 06:55 PM »
How good is the ice??? Is it okay for ATV's yet?  Planning on hitting it this weekend. Any info would be appreciated.
ATV's should be fine on the west end, Wind Creek. I wouldn't stray more than 50 yards out into the lake w/o checking ice conditions. Near the edges the ice was 6+", but I'm a sled dragger myself!  ;D

Offline VegasIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2010, 07:32 PM »
 Was at wind creek today and came home with two eyes. Ice was anywhere from 12" down to 3".
A bad day fishhttp://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t65/wyohound/for-wyomingites-only.jpging beats a good day of work.

Offline FireonIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2010, 07:51 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  I will be out there Sunday Morning in a Clam two man flipover. If anyone is out feel free to stop by and say hi, I would like to meet some of you guys.  Also how is Mule Creek looking?? :tipup:
Bojo

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2010, 07:53 PM »
Was at wind creek today and came home with two eyes. Ice was anywhere from 12" down to 3".
After dark?

I'll be going to work tonight and plan on hitting an afternoon when I get back in a couple of days.

Offline VegasIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:29 AM »
Nope caught them both at about 4:00. Near the south western point leaving from the boat ramp. Saw lots of guys along the rock face due north of the ramp.

Offline cavemancrab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2010, 05:33 PM »
I have never made it over there. Is it easy to find a spot were I dont need to trek across the lake with four wheeler? what kind of fish are there?

Offline VegasIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 08, 2010, 06:02 PM »
The lake has crappie, bluegill, walleye, northerns, smallmouth bass, carp and some yellow perch. At this time you can get to decent fishing w/o a four wheeler. check the ice as you go away from the bang. Good luck and tight lines.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:49 PM »
Picked up a few 'eyes and crappie tonight all with the Chubby Darter. Missed a few too  ::)

Offline FireonIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:19 PM »
Finally got out on the ice today.  First time this year..... Was able to pull one Walleye in 27in and between 7 and 8 lbs.  The ice in Wind Creek is a good 12 inches.  I'm going to try to go out this Wednesday and see if Mule Creek is OK to fish.  If so I will report back.  ;D :tipup:
Bojo

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:38 PM »
May be out there Wednesday myself. Just watching football waiting to get called for work tonight. May be home by Tuesday and get out there as well. Just look for the blue suit and clam pro!

Offline kemp14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 12, 2010, 11:57 PM »
Headin to keyhole tomorrow. Never fished it before and its the the first trip this year. Dont have any electronics and im hopin i can catch some fish. Probably stop by and talk to the fella at pine haven and gets some tips but ill let ya fellas know how i do.

Offline FireonIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2010, 10:13 AM »

Here was my first catch of the year. Put a tape to it when I got home and was right at 27.5"
Bojo

Offline fishlord

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • worst day of fishing better than best day of work
« Reply #26 on: Dec 13, 2010, 10:26 AM »
Thats a great fish,way to start the season off :thumbsup:

Randy

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 13, 2010, 06:13 PM »
Nice one FoI!

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:26 PM »
NICE did you catch it on tipup or jiggin!!! gota brotherinlaw that lives close by would like to go see him and fish the hole!!

Offline FireonIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:12 PM »
I was jigging. Didn't have any luck on the tip ups. I was using a spoon when he came in :tipup:
Bojo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.