The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Rochester/Oronoco Area  (Read 6750 times)

Offline oronocofisher00

• IceShanty Rookie
Rochester/Oronoco Area
« on: Nov 24, 2010, 10:29 AM »
Is there anyone in the rochester area? Lookin to maybe hook up with some folks and make a trip somewhere

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Rochester/Oronoco Area
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2010, 03:12 PM »
where ya thinkin?

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2010, 10:29 PM »
im from rochester.. i only have a few buddies that are into ice fishing... only like 3 of my buddies actually have their own gear! so yeah, i would def hook up and fish with ya. but i dont have the money to be going on some huge trip. sorry about the flooding in oronoco buddy hope everything is getting worked out for ya guys

Offline oronocofisher00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2010, 10:26 AM »
The flooding didn't affect me at all. Live in southeast an a ways from the river. Now if they would just get the bridge fixed haha. I wasn't plannin on a huge trip just one to a local spot around town just a day outing. Maybe to the zumbro or silver creek?

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2010, 12:32 PM »
thats good you didnt get washed out.. i heard they wont dig out shady lake anymore because too much money,that sucks for the lake front property owners.. i heard silver creek has some niiiiice pike in it, but never hooked up to a single one out there, but to be honest i never target pike. i wouldnt mind going out there for some perch of something.heard they are nice sized out there too. if your a pike guy it would be cool to give it a shot , but all i have for pike is some bigger jigging raps and a single tip up.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2010, 02:29 PM »
thats good you didnt get washed out.. i heard they wont dig out shady lake anymore because too much money,that sucks for the lake front property owners.. i heard silver creek has some niiiiice pike in it, but never hooked up to a single one out there, but to be honest i never target pike. i wouldnt mind going out there for some perch of something.heard they are nice sized out there too. if your a pike guy it would be cool to give it a shot , but all i have for pike is some bigger jigging raps and a single tip up.

Ran into a guy at the gas pump last season and he said he pulled out a 48'' pike. I caught 2 at silver that were over 20". Every once in awhile you can hook into a nice perch 7-10 inch but 80% of the time you will catch small ones, i can easily say that silver is more perch than other.

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:27 PM »
if you want i can show you my little urban honey hole.. its right off co. road 22 right in rochester. but dont be bringing everyone and their brother there!!!!!! its only good for black and white crappies. any one else wants to hook up sometime lemme know

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2010, 08:31 AM »
Another SE MN resident here.  I live out in Byron, but do a lot of ice fishing.  I'd be up for a few trips out if you want some time.

Offline oronocofisher00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2010, 12:03 PM »
would that honey hole happen to be out by cinemagic theaters heading out towards byron on 19th st?

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2010, 03:23 PM »
no its not, but i have a buddy from byron who was telling me about the 19th st reservoir in between byron and roch..  you ever had any luck there or what? he was saying that her never sees anyone out there. dcso your welcome to come too buddy! i have a 4x8 sheet folding shack so all 3 of us could prolly fit in there pretty comfortably but if any of yall have another good sized shack that would work too because my shack will need another week of ice to hold it i bet, that is if we all are even able to meet up same day. is there any fishable ice out there yet?

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2010, 12:05 PM »
anyone from our area made it out yet? i saw a shack on the ice when  coming back from the cities yesterday.... made me freak!

Offline oronocofisher00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2010, 10:18 PM »
havent made it out yet. im thinkin i might do some scouting this weekend and see if anybody is out on the ice. i wont go out unless i see a couple other people out.

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2010, 10:33 PM »
i text one of my fishing buddies today to see if he knew of any fishable ice and he said silver creek, k7 , and 19th st west is good to go...!

Offline oronocofisher00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2010, 06:23 AM »
Did he happen to say how much ice? I thought k7 and 19th st west were the same this. is k7 the resovoir that you gotta climb a big a$$ hill to get to?

Offline lhprop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:12 AM »
I'm in the cities, but my in-laws are all in Kasson.  My brother-in-law is just starting to get into ice fishing, but I have all the gear.  I've got 2 portables, Jiffy, GPS etc if anyone needs a warm place to sit, a hole punched, or a spot located.  If anyone wants to go out sometime next weekend (probably Sunday the 19th), I'm sure I could sneak away from the holiday festivities for a bit.   
How would you play today if you knew you couldn\'t play tomorrow?

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2010, 03:51 PM »
yeah k7 and 19st are the same i think sorry.. and im not sure how bad the hill is to it.. all reservoirs are pretty hardcore to pull a shanty up to around here.. but i think you are thinking of silver creek over by the college and prison.. that hill is crazy and now that they put the path in its way longer then going straight up to it like it used to be.. on another note., i was at the bait shop getting some last min stuff and the guy said all the lakes i had said are good to go but sliver creek has like 6 inches of bubble ice so its not worth what 6 inch should be.. so i went out to fost because i had some gear in the car anyways so i went over there and realized i never went home to get the auger!!!! after scouring the house for the oil to mix with the gas (which still havent found) i shed all my layers and just logged on instead lol i have the day off tomorrow so i will just go then. anyone want to slay some trout and crappies tomorrow PM me so i get it on my phone and we will meet up!

Offline oronocofisher00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:52 PM »
id go with you in a heart beat but gotta work from 430 to about 5. which bait shop did you go to? Hooked on fishing? the older guy that owns the plasce has always been incredibly helpfull to me and always knows whats biting and whats not. i think ill be heading out to silver crek on sat for the first outing. is the ice safe?

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2010, 11:42 PM »
no it was the bait shop on 3rd ave on the south side, its by kwik trip and the laundry mat. i know what one you talk about tho, i think your talking about the one on 63 north passed shopko right? i really like that old guy. after chatting with him and getting your stuff he allways says," now get the hell outta here and catch some fish" hahahaha then i say i was planning on it ya old fart haha and i think silver he was saying is not good ice, too many bubbles in it.

i will be on the ice tomorrow boys! ill take some pics. if you wanna join then shoot me a PM ill check IS before i go just give me your number but fyi, no heater for my shack yet so bring one if you think ya need it haha

Offline oronocofisher00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2010, 10:21 PM »
Talked to a guy at gander tonight. he fished silvercreek a few days ago and said it has 6 inches of good ice. caught alot of perch. im headin out there saturday for most of the day. gotta test out the new toys and get back into the swing of things again. with this cold front comin in we should have no more concerns on ice thickness. Random little side note i went ot school with a guy who owns that bait shop.

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2010, 10:22 PM »
what do you guys think will happen to our ice with all this snow we have got? anyone make it out yet..? i went out twice a so far, couple nice fish but mostly dinks.. had a few really nice trout come check my jig out and then i missed the damn hook set, on both of them! i think you can say that i am a little rusty ha. i need to get my timing back or its gunna be a frustrating winter

Offline oronocofisher00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2010, 10:48 PM »
i think with this cold weather were having that the ice will be just fine. i still gotta make it out, figured conditions were to crappy on saturday to make it out.

Offline crappiefister

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2010, 02:17 PM »
Hey guys.  I'm not  in Rochester, but am in Winona.  I got out Saturday during the beginning of the storm.  Fishing was pretty weak but I did get a nice 11 in perch.  Be carefull on that ice.  I was in the Mississippi backwaters and the ice was a good 4" at shore and then got thinner and abotu 4 inches of water on top once we started drilling.  There's a lot of snow weight bowing the ice (deeper water the farther you get from shore).  Pretty sketchy.  Can't wait to be able to get out and really hit it.

THe cold is gonna help, but 2' of snow insulation is sure gonna slow it down.
C:\Users\jcorey\Desktop\SnotsicleStrikeForce5copy.jpg

Offline oronocofisher00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2010, 02:46 PM »
im hopin that by this weekend the ice will be more stable.

Offline crappiefister

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2010, 03:13 PM »
I did go to another spot that was less sheltered (fewer trees) and the ice was better.  Must have made more before we got all the snow.

Good luck to you guys.  Drop me a line if you get farther east by the Mississippi.  The big lake in Winona has turned up some good crappies numbers.  And there's an over abundance of beers and BS.
C:\Users\jcorey\Desktop\SnotsicleStrikeForce5copy.jpg

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:05 PM »
-9 when i went to work this morning... i had ice forming on my beard all day. i think the lake ice will be just fine now lol. i have to work tomorrow in the morning but really want to get out mid-day and evening depending on how much work there is. we all gotta get together and put some fish on ice!

Offline oronocofisher00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 14, 2010, 09:33 PM »
I had even colder than that. at about 430 on my way to work i had -18 in my blazer, and -15 at my house. wish i could get out of work while its still light outside. their is definately a good amount of ice now.

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 14, 2010, 10:26 PM »
how late do ya work?? the night bite can be pretty good sometimes around here.. maybe this weekend we should drop some lines... my auger is on the fritz so ill need to work on that tomorrow and then i wanna scout after and fish for a bit, ill try to find some good spots on foster and the lake by kwik trip by co rd 22 and 14 west

Offline oronocofisher00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2010, 08:34 AM »
Last night i got outta work around 545. which lake are you talkin about on 22 an 14?

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 15, 2010, 12:14 PM »
cascade lake.... i know a sweet little spot on there for some white and black crappie

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2010, 06:38 PM »
went to foster beach today... cought couple nice trout and like 15 little pannies

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.