The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: ice on canyon ferry?  (Read 4602 times)

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
ice on canyon ferry?
« on: Nov 23, 2010, 12:49 AM »
anyone been by to see how the ice is growing?  I want to go get some rainbows at the south end.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ice on canyon ferry?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2010, 08:53 AM »
call the Silo's, they should be able to tell you
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2010, 09:46 AM »
I drove by last Wednesday and the lake was completely open without a hint of ice. I then drove by again on Sunday and the south end was fully iced over from one side to the other and as far down lake as I could see. I'm sure it's not thick, but after this week of fridgid temps it might be fishable for the brave or stupid.

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline Kito

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2010, 09:19 AM »
Anyone be out around the Silos??  Im thinking of heading out that direction tomorrow.  Hopefully the ice is good and I can find some perch.

Offline TheGreenHornet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2010, 09:33 AM »
Kito,

Please get back on and let us know how the ice is...I'm anxious to get on Canyon Ferry but would hate to drive over from bozeman only to drive back.

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2010, 10:07 AM »
Called the silos rv yesterday the 29th at 4pm.  They had a few people fishing about 30 yds off shore around the marina area and one nice trout was caught.  Hope this helps.

Offline Kito

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2010, 01:32 PM »
Sorry guys, no ice report from me.  I went to GeorgeTown Lake instead.

Offline mtjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2010, 06:27 PM »
My nephew and I went out today and there is about 6" of good black ice south of the Silos.  It is still open water at hole in the wall and duck creek.  We only fished for 2 hrs. and only ices 1 small trout, but it was better than sitting at home.
MT

Offline captain stubie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lip ripper!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2010, 08:49 PM »
there was 6+ inches today at the silos. but whole in the wall is still open
its better to have hooked and lost then to never have hooked at all.

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2010, 11:22 PM »
pressure ridge at the silos again this year?

Offline coldsmoke81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2010, 02:05 PM »
The causeway has 4-5 inches. channel is open.iced a 3lb trout yesterday. some caught ling.slow,slow,slow. was out there all day

Offline Tayreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2010, 07:20 PM »
Any new word on Canyon Ferry? hows the fishing? hows the ice?

Offline Guiltydog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice, ice, baby!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2010, 07:50 PM »
I fished the south end this morning.  There's about 8 to 9 inches of ice.  Lost one, caught one 18 inch rainbow.  Other guys had a handful of trout on the ice.  Ice is up to north of the silos now.  There were a few folks on the ice there also.
Keep your rod out of my icehole!

Offline Tayreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2010, 08:41 PM »
Thanks for the update Guiltydog. I'm hoping to hit the ice tomorrow and try my luck. any words of wisdom?

Offline fishforfood72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2010, 10:00 PM »
worms  ~work gud there  ;D
(PATHFINDER)

Offline Tayreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2010, 10:49 PM »
Yep! thats my favorite! ;D

Offline Guiltydog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice, ice, baby!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2010, 03:23 PM »
Black flies and night crawlers are usually dependable.  Went out this mornining, here's my one word report: s - l - o - w...  One hit mid morning and my buddy caught a 20 incher at noon.  Not many other fish on caught, so I didn't feel bad about not catching much.
Keep your rod out of my icehole!

Offline coldsmoke81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2010, 08:13 PM »
my dad slayed them again today at the causeway. 3-5 pound trout n walleye

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2010, 08:26 PM »
my dad slayed them again today at the causeway. 3-5 pound trout n walleye

where's the pics?  ???
Live Free Or Die.

Offline ARMY1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2010, 09:01 PM »
I am headed out to the Causeway tomorrow. Any advice on time of day, location, and bait to use would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Offline Tayreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2010, 12:53 PM »
where exactly is the causeway? sounds like one of the places to be! but for my report... went out yesterday, December 11th, and had one hell of a day catching trout! not but a total of 20-30yards off shore and the majority of my strikes were mayber 10 yards off shore. just used night crawlers on a lime green jig head on very light tip ups and had them set about 3 feet below the ice (which actually was about the lenth of my leader so essencially no tip up line was visible)! I landed 20+ rainbow trout that all ranged 16-21 inches  and weighed all around 1 to 4 lbs. Great day out really. fished around people who also were catching  occasional rainbows most of the day. Another note is i was fishing one line at about 15 feet of depth and got one fish that way the whole day. So i would say the trout are still shallow beneath the ice. Hope to get out next weekend after my finals to do it again but we'll see.  

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2010, 05:48 PM »
Then why do you fish there?Once the bite starts there are PLENTY of perch to be caught,just ask iceholer!So you would rather have them pollute the lake with a ****ty tshirt(illegal) than take a dump?I would guess it was someone who couldnt make it make to the crapper,who would do that if they had the option of using the outhouse?There are thousands of geese crapping on the ice on the south end every day,you should take them out some tshirts next trip.BTW my dog craps out there on a regular basis,she wont use the outhouse either.
Must been you then eh Nonya? I did see some guy and his dog rolling in it. ;D Iceholer couldn't catch a fish if his life depended on it.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:18 PM »
I guess he didnt text you the perch pics from CF today?Ice holer you holding out on Jigger?

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:39 PM »
he had to wash them first ;D
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 12, 2010, 08:46 PM »
you two sound like a couple of grumpy old men you should meet out on the ice and fish together  b***h at each other then let us know about all the fish you didn't catch jigger bring ex t shirts nunya leave the dog home
when hell freezes over ill ice fish there to

Offline ARMY1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:34 AM »
Tayreel,
The causeway is between Hauser and Lake Helena and what I was fishing is part of Hauser. I fished Sunday evening but did not ice anything. Had a few bites and saw a nice walleye checking out my jig but he wasn't  that interested. Where did you catch all those trout? I need a place with that kind of action to take the family, they are not up to spending much time on the ice if the action is slow.

Offline Tayreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 13, 2010, 02:58 PM »
Army1,

So is the causeway just like an extended part of Hauser? is it slow moving water or a steady current? I really have no idea about that area. So if there are any specifics on like where to go or how to fish it that would be most appreciated? But for my trout fishing its just off to the north of the silos. Um... when ya drive down that main road and then meet the gravel road down just off to the left to the main parking lot you have the bay right off the lot that everyone passes over... with if you go the the point just North of that (which i usually just circle around and park just on top of that point and fishe just below it) thats my favorite spot and usually where i do the best but where i was was just around the corner from that point. Everyone around me in that bay right there was landing at least a fish or two every hour or better but my assumptioin is they were all fishing pretty deep. if you have rods or tip ups, I love tip ups just cuz they are easy to see and rig, but put an earthworm on a lime green jig head and put about 2-3 feet below the ice and then back fish somewhere away from that cuz every tip up i had go up with spin really fast to begin with and then slow up or stop but as i approached it the fish would take off on a sprint again cuz they would see me or my shawdow and take off. so I'd say bait it and then watch from a distance. I'm not a big fan of bells cuz its just alot of noise but if ya can't see ur rod tip from about 20-30 feet away then i'd put someting on it you can see bounce. Sorry this has been my blabbing more than anything but hopefully that gets u and the family into some trout! Awsome to hear about family outting to go icefishing!

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 13, 2010, 06:59 PM »
you two sound like a couple of grumpy old men you should meet out on the ice and fish together  b***h at each other then let us know about all the fish you didn't catch jigger bring ex t shirts nunya leave the dog home

Sorry us real men are still hunting on our days off (when im not working on your wifes truck...) :o

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:30 PM »
Sorry us real meal are still hunting on our days off (when im not working on your wifes truck...) :o
short neck crapt duck don't count ass hunting  ass far as the wife's truck whens your next day off
when hell freezes over ill ice fish there to

Offline anglerassassin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:42 PM »
Nonya flexing his internet muscles on this site too????  How precious ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.