Author Topic: Chains on your quad ?  (Read 15399 times)

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
Chains on your quad ?
« on: Nov 19, 2010, 08:02 AM »
Hey all.

Debating on whether or not at add chains to my quad, have you all found they are worth the effort?  Obviously if there is no snow, they would be handy, but do they work well?  Do I need em on all four tires or can I get away with just two wheels?

Regards, Ocean

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Chains on your quad ?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2010, 08:13 AM »
Yes they are great. I have the V-bar style. I only have the backs as I own a 1994 polaris sportman 400 and I don't care to offset the front wheels so the chains don't slap the struts.
If the snow is packed down, there is no real need for them as their is plenty of traction but if the snow is loose or little snow they are great.
I am going to put ice screws in my front cause it is a pain to turn if there is little snow cover.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2010, 08:22 AM »
Yes, they make a huge difference on the bare ice, as well as the deep snow. Spend the extra $ on the V-bar style, the extra sharp edges make them very effective. Put them on all 4 tires if you can, if not, just on the rears.

A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2010, 09:30 AM »
Ice screws(studs) work but they have a tendency to pull out.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2010, 09:32 AM »
Yes, you can get tire screws (Kold Kutters is a popular brand) that look like Tek Screws that you drill into the tire. They work very well on bare ice, but don't do much to help in the snow like chains will, and you have to take them out at the end of the season or they wear down very fast when used on hard surfaces that aren't ice. Chains go on and off in minutes.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline IceFishinJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Alcoholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2010, 09:48 PM »
I won't even take my atv onto the ice anymore without my chains. They have saved me many of times.

Joe

Offline Stump Puller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2010, 10:36 PM »
Like IceFishinJoe, I won't go out without them anymore. I went out on Lake Erie one time with out them and the wind was blowing so hard that when I got on clear ice the wind was blowing me backwards while the tires were spinning forwards. Coming back into shore was pretty easy though. lol
Be safe out there, and set the iron.

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2010, 11:22 PM »
Have run my 4 wheeler 6 seasons now and last year while down in Iowa it was the first year I would have liked chains.  It was late ice and there was probably 4 inches of slush on top of the ice.  It handled the slush very well by itself or just pulling a couple portables.  It was trying to pull my my 8x8 trailer with 3 ice shacks on it, 4 augers and 3 guys.  We got it to work but it took a little pushing to get the momentum going then you just didnt let off the gas.  Thank god for having the 4 wheeler along!!!!  Will have chains for this season.  Fin

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2010, 09:10 AM »
Any tips as to where the best place is, to get chains for an atv?

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2010, 09:48 AM »
just about any motor cycle sled shop or just type in chains for atv on search and you should get a few off the net. my chains are by moose

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2010, 09:55 AM »
http://www.tirechainsupply.com  This place has a nice selection, but they are expensive and shipping is 20$, I am going to do some looking around locally and hope for a better deal. 

I would never put chains on the front of my ATV either, just my opinion.   I know a lot of guys do it with no issue, but it's got to be hard on the axles and the diff, my tires already weigh 32 lbs and the chains will double that, that is a lot of weight and if you get those suckers spinning and they catch, there goes your axle. 

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2010, 10:21 AM »
Just a suggestion, if your trailer has the beaver tail rear gate, you may want to add a section of OSB or plywood so the V-bars on your chains don't hang up.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline walleyeslayr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2010, 05:45 PM »
Front and rear.  No problems. 

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2010, 10:11 PM »
Going to get fronts for my 94' sportsman. But i will have to swap front tires. To get enough clearance between the strut and chains.

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fishie says "Why you looking at me like that?"
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2010, 07:59 AM »
i could't believe how much it helped when i did the rear's only so i put them on the fronts also so will see how much more they help.couldn't turn very well so will see.when putting them on,deflate the tires or even push more air out of them when chaining up then when yo air them up they are very snug and no need for tightners. i thought it looked like they might rub on my srtuts when turning but no problem,,,,,you will appreciate what they will do for you.
born to fish---forced to work

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2010, 08:09 AM »
I think chains on the rear and studs on the front would be a good way to go. 

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2010, 08:14 AM »
i use them front and back on my rancher with no problems. You can do better donuts with them on the front  :clap:

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2010, 09:41 AM »
Going to get fronts for my 94' sportsman. But i will have to swap front tires. To get enough clearance between the strut and chains.

A simple solution to putting chains on the front of a polaris, is to put wheel spacers on your machine. it may be cheaper than buying new tires.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2010, 09:53 AM »
I have run chains on all four wheels of my ATV for more than 5 years.  Would not be without them on the ice.  Bare ice, snow, slush, anything in between - they are a huge plus.  I use the 2-link vbar chains.  2-ling have a cross chain every other side link.  Makes for a smoother ride on bare ice.  I think the idea is that with chains, you don't have to be hard on the machine in difficult conditions, you can just "mosey" along nice and easy.
Best deal I have found is at my ATV dealer, he gives me a pretty discount.
Check e-bay as well - should be seeing some deals pop up there too.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2010, 10:24 AM »
A simple solution to putting chains on the front of a polaris, is to put wheel spacers on your machine. it may be cheaper than buying new tires.
By swaping tires I ment to flip the right for the left side. Pretty much changing the offset. This way I don't need to buy anything. Yes it will make the front end wider but it will also give me the clearance I need. Sorry for the confusion. :tipup:

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2010, 06:56 PM »
what about screwing some sheet metal screws in treads, would that do anything?

They would work well for bare ice, but I doubt they would have any worth in the snow and slush.

Offline fishingguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2010, 10:41 AM »
Have had chains on mine after the first year of ice fishing without them, they never come off.

Offline rks-icer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2010, 07:20 PM »
I just bought a set for the rear of my machine. I went with the v-bars in the diamond shaped pattern. My tires are fairly aggresive and I was afrid the stright bars would fall into the treads so I went with the diamond pattern. I can't wait to try them out.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #23 on: Dec 20, 2010, 08:03 PM »
I just bought a set for the rear of my machine. I went with the v-bars in the diamond shaped pattern. My tires are fairly aggresive and I was afrid the stright bars would fall into the treads so I went with the diamond pattern. I can't wait to try them out.
I did exactly that - put my straight cross-bar chains on Maxis BigHorns and they "fell" right into the voids between the lugs.
I am trying the ice screws and with-holding my verdict until the season is over; or I have to go purchase the style chains you are talking about.
Those chains you got are pricey!  Hope they do well for you.  :icefish:

Offline rks-icer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 20, 2010, 10:02 PM »
I did exactly that - put my straight cross-bar chains on Maxis BigHorns and they "fell" right into the voids between the lugs.
I am trying the ice screws and with-holding my verdict until the season is over; or I have to go purchase the style chains you are talking about.
Those chains you got are pricey!  Hope they do well for you.  :icefish:

They were pricey for sure! I just didn't want to buy the others and have issues. I have the Kenda Bear Claw in a 27" size and they have really deep tread. I thought about the screws but just couldn't get myself to do it. Hopefully these will work well.

Offline runswithdeer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 21, 2010, 06:02 AM »
I have chains on one 4-wheeler, studs on another.  Chains work a little better, studs are ok, just not as much bite.
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy..."

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 28, 2010, 11:53 AM »
I have had(2) 500 Polaris ATVs in the last 10 years and have never had to have a set of chains yet. For one thing ,chains are hard on your machine,and 2 If you keep good tires on it ,you will not have a problem. I have traveled in 19 in of snow and never got stuck. Yes chains will help you but I sure didn't need any. Jerry

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 28, 2010, 05:31 PM »

I used screw studs and kicked my buddy ass on pure ice today.  He has an 800 CAN-AM and I have a 450 polaris, the studs work!

Offline IceFishinJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Alcoholic
« Reply #28 on: Dec 30, 2010, 10:04 PM »
With the slush we tend to get around here without chains you can't get anywhere.

Joe

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:11 AM »
I put the chains on the front of my 94' sportsmen. Tried flipping tires, doesn't work, valve stem hits the caliper. When I spun the tire, I saw that the rim is very far from true.  Anyways, I placed 2  5/16" washers on each stud. This allowed enough clearance to miss the strut and tie rod end.
I then aired the tires up to 20psi. Chains are nice and tight.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.