Author Topic: Vertical Vs Horizontal  (Read 3667 times)

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
Vertical Vs Horizontal
« on: Nov 06, 2010, 08:46 AM »
There are a lot of variables in ice fishing, nothing is guaranteed, however there is some logic in our choices.  In that light, I'm posing the following question;

Under what circumstances do you chose a vertical jig over a horizontal jig, and vise verse.  Maybe we could look at this from both a species (perch, gills, walleye, etc.) and a bait prospective (maggots, wigglers, chena, minnows).

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
Re: Vertical Vs Horizontal
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2010, 09:34 AM »
I always start with a pimple and if that's not working I switch to a buck tail and so on
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2010, 10:11 AM »
Lately I've been running just about everything for panfish with a horizontal jig. For walleyes I still like vertical spoons. But it seems easier to get a hook set on blue gills with a horizontal jig, tipped with a waxie.
Nick.

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline Wardo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2010, 10:13 AM »
For walleyes, horizontal baits (jigging raps) are great for really active fish.  They fish fast and those active fish really hammer them!  I tend to start out with the vertical spoons though, they are a little more versatile in my opinion.  You can fish them hard to call fish in and produce some great strikes, but you also have a little more finesse-ability with them.  They react better to subtle movements.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2010, 11:05 AM »
Over the years I have found that big predator's like horizontal a little more than vertical. I have not spent any time chasing walleyes through the ice, so I can't speak to them. Big bass, Pike and big perch seem much more willing to take horizontal jigs. Pickerel don't care and hit anything... Maybe it is the different action that you get out of a horizontal jig like a Salmo, but I think it being Horizontal is big part of it. There are always fish that will hit anything (if the planets align right) but day in day out, if I am looking to hook a bigger fish... The past two years when jigging I would often first drop a pimple with some maggies give it about 2-3 minutes, then drop a Salmo down for about a minute, this has paid off for more big bass on the jigging rod (per season) then many years combined.
Tight Lines,
Allan

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2010, 06:27 PM »
All of my big crappie have come on a vertical jig, K&E Moon Jig .

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2010, 07:39 PM »
90 percent of the fish I get to bite on vertical presentation.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Getthenet

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's all a part o' fishin, son.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2010, 08:06 PM »
I agree horizontal seems to catch more blue gills and perch.  I was watching Vexilar videos and the guy suggested that on vertical jigs switching the orientation.  Like on a frosty jig putting the split ring and eye at the hook end. I guess it makes sense.  Anyone else do this?
Got any Maggots?

Offline highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2010, 08:47 PM »
  I have three presentations , Horizontal and vertical and also 45 degree .  Each has its place , I will have a rod rigged with variations of each .  This allows me to change up presentations without retying in the field.   Very seldom do you have to change from tried and true presentatins .  Very negative fish will require throwing the book at them .....
Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

Offline pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2010, 10:50 PM »
Keep in mind that horizontal baits will show up much better on sonar.  Sometimes it's tough to see pimples and other spoons and verticals, not only because much of the lure is by-passed by the sonar, but when jigging aggressively, or with large lifts and drops, on the drop they tend to "swim" or flutter out of the cone. 

As far as fishing, I usually use a jigging spoon like a pimple first for perch to try to target aggressive fish.  Then I slow down and fish with a more subtle approach like a marmooska style jig, like a fiskas tungsten wolfram jig or a diamond jig.

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2010, 11:21 PM »
When jigging I usually only target panfish.  Horizontal jigs all the time.  Fin

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2010, 08:32 AM »
I do not have near the luck on a vertical presentation that I do on a horizontal presentation.  I have no idea why it is that way but it seems like horizontal will out fish vertical for me 10-1.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2010, 08:42 AM »
Scmelik, what are you fishing for?

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2010, 09:18 AM »
Scmelik, what are you fishing for?

mainly perch, gills, and crappies but even for walleyes I have caught more on horizontal presentations than vertical.

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2010, 01:40 PM »
Seems like last season all I used was a Northland Forage Minnow tipped with 6 spikes with everything from Gills, Crappie,Bass,Perch and pickerel grabbing hold. Besides switching colors or the occasional Buckshot rattle spoon. Only a few times did I use a horizontal Marmooska jig. but in the past almost all horizontal presentation.

Offline drcarplove

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2010, 02:37 PM »
I mostly, if not only fish for gills and crappie. I start with the Horizontal acct better flasher signal. Often on a good bite, when it slows i can work a vertical type, usually a #10 demon with a wedgee plastic rigged horizontally on hook, this nearly always results in an extra crappie or 3 and sometimes gills too. If I have to move, back to horizontal again. The exception to the rule are the #8 and #10 shrimpos, they showup well on the flashers and seem to be just as effective mostly as the horizontals. I have a Ice Jig addiction and own many types and styles, but usually end up fishing with Marmooskas, Fatboys, Ratsos, shrimpos and the above mentioned demon/wedgee rig.

luck
Frank

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2010, 05:09 PM »
Keep in mind that horizontal baits will show up much better on sonar....

This is true!
Nick.

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2010, 09:35 AM »
Most of the fish I get to bite immediately on the rise bite much more immediately on a vertical presentation.  The vertical presentation often immitates a preoccupied bait that appears to be more vulnerable.  Vertical type of jigs often plane and flutter on the fall.  Hence they offer the versatility of being a horizontal lure for this part of lure presentation.  While the jig variety of the spoons don't offer as much action, sometimes it's less action that gets the bite.  At other times, it's the more versatile action of the spoon variety of the jigs.  There's something about offering a plain all metal lure that drives the fish to strike with a lot of aggression.  That's the one thing I like about a normal small spoons like a Daredevel or a Rattl'N Flyer spoon.

It never surprises me when I offer a horizontal lure that triggers some extremely ferocious bites.  The profile of a wary horizontal baitfish often presents a lure that's ready to escape and thus puts urgency on the predator to torpedo onto the lure.  I don't know how many times I get a small signal of a fish at the edge of my sonar cone, then only to get a strong bite that turns out to be a much larger fish than I expected.  Many times, I barely even have time to notice the fish and then getting an almost blind bite.  Jig'N Raps and airplane jigs will often swim nose up and down, so even part of the time I can say that they present themselves as a vertical(angled) profile.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline lhprop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2010, 10:55 AM »
Judging by the title, I thought this thread was going in a completely different direction.
How would you play today if you knew you couldn\'t play tomorrow?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #19 on: Nov 08, 2010, 11:30 AM »
I almost always start with a horizontal jig, and check a few sizes prior to switching to vertical.

Jiggin rap is my stater bait for Perch, Crappie and walleye (different color and size obviously)

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #20 on: Nov 08, 2010, 12:12 PM »
They still sell vertical panfish jigs?  I had no idea...

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 08, 2010, 07:32 PM »
I almost always start with a horizontal jig, and check a few sizes prior to switching to vertical.

Jiggin rap is my stater bait for Perch, Crappie and walleye (different color and size obviously)

Hey icejunky, do you throw a waxie on the front and back hook of your raps?
Nick.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.