Author Topic: Lantern Box  (Read 10074 times)

Offline chicken doodle

• IceShanty Rookie
Lantern Box
« on: Nov 05, 2010, 07:39 PM »

Hey guys. I am new to ice fishing. This will be my first season. I have been gathering up some gear. I came across this box at my local bait shop this summer. I bought it because I like the design and it came with some poles and other gear. I plan on building a larger box from this design. I prefer the taller lanterns that screw onto a propane cylinder.
Aybody else using these? I have no shanty yet, so this seems warmer than sitting on a bucket. Any pics of other boxes would be appreciated. Trying to finalize my design.

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lantern Box
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2010, 07:45 PM »
I have the same box, mine is only four years old though.  I love sitting over the lantern when it is blowin cold out there.  A propane lantern should fit in there.  Welcome to the ice world, best damn addiction in the world!!

Offline rjflynn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2010, 07:49 PM »
i built one two years ago but then i bought a shanty and dont use it anymore. it sits above my garage collecting dust

Offline AlgaeKilla

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2010, 07:50 PM »
I used to have two similar ones. I just destroyed one a week ago, because its taken up room in the garage for too long. The other one I've had since I was ten and I just couldn't do it. To be honest, they are a little warmer, but they travel like a stubborn mule. I suggest a small sled to throw your gear in if you don't have or don't want to pull a shanty.
Photobucket can suck it

Offline imsoawesome

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2010, 07:49 AM »
AlgaeKilla, Ur sure right about them traveling like a stubborn mule. many times as I'm heading out it just falls over, it got to the point where i said EFF it and just kept pulling with the thing laying over...the good old days...as algae said, get a small cheap sled to put everything in...it will pay off "trust me" but u can always just pull that box and end up irate by the time u get where ur going.  ;D

PS- if u need anything or would like some company for ur first season don't be afraid to ask, my friends and i are more then willing to help.
WOMEN WANT ME......FISH FEAR ME!!!

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2010, 12:34 PM »
I've never seen those before. That's a really cool idea! AlgaeKilla, how do they keep a guy warm?
Nick.

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2010, 04:10 PM »
I am thinkin about getting a piece of aluminum that will fit the bottom of the box, so it should pull easier.  The box helps with warmth by having a lantern going inside so you can sit over it when you are fishing. 

Offline danakaiggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2010, 04:52 PM »
I have the exact same thing.  I used it all the time. Still do in nice (warmer) days just be-careful of the glass if a fish flicks water on the hot glass bamm you have a mess of broken glass on the ice which is real nasty. My wife just said it works good and also keeps her coffee Hot on the ice.  We lined ours with tinfoil to help reflect more heat and light.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2010, 08:33 PM »
I have had 3 of these for about 20 years.  I don't use them much any more as I am a bucket butt now days.  I can pull more gear in a sled than I can in the boxes.  The ones I have are light enough that I carry mine and don't pull it unless it is bare ice.

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2010, 08:54 PM »
I have a really nice aluminum box that collects dust in my garage. I'm like wax_worm, I use a sled and bucket. Then you just throw the shanty and buddy heater in there and your ready to fish. :)

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2010, 07:07 PM »
that thing looks flippin awesome...but yea i bet it is tough to move it around on the ice!!!

:)

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2010, 02:50 PM »
I havent fished off one of those things in 15 years!  I got a shanty but I still use a bucket as well.  I bought a single mantle for propane several years back.  My bucket is 7.5 gallon.  I can fit my vex, 3 jig boxes, lantern head, 2 propane cylinders, 6 pack of beer, and still have room for 15 gills!!!!!!!

Offline rcjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2010, 06:34 PM »
I had the exact box shown above, I took a jig saw and cut it right behind the lantern box, removing the seat and storage parts. It's now just a lantern box and works fantastic. Lanterns just don't get real hot in a bucket. It fits easily into a small sled with a couple buckets and is a great hand warmer while sitting on a bucket and casts a nice light on your hole after dark.

Offline djsublime

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiver me timbers!!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2010, 05:41 PM »
I had the exact box shown above, I took a jig saw and cut it right behind the lantern box, removing the seat and storage parts. It's now just a lantern box and works fantastic. Lanterns just don't get real hot in a bucket. It fits easily into a small sled with a couple buckets and is a great hand warmer while sitting on a bucket and casts a nice light on your hole after dark.
I have two of these sitting in the garage and wasnt quite sure if i would ever put them to use but this may be just what i need to do

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2010, 09:16 PM »
I bought one Last year and I love it, it does tip in deep snow but you can carry it if you need to.  I upholstered the seat to add to the comfort.  I have a two man shanty, but would rather use the Lantern box so I can move and find the fish.   Saw a neat  model at a Bait Shop in Halls, Michigan made from Aluminum that had a built in Carrier for the Ice Auger.  There are other models out there, I do not like the middle storage compartment it is a little difficult getting things in and out of there.

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2010, 09:18 PM »
I wish I could find one up my way. Other than here, I've never seen one.

Offline Edge

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Best Friends!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2010, 06:09 PM »
This isn't the best picture of mine.  It's metal and has a hinge in front where the lantern sits.  It's nice cause I can easily adjust how much heat is coming out by moving the lid one way or the other.  There is a separate compartment under the wooden seat.  No idea how old it is, Dad bought it off of a guy who was going to scrap it for the aluminum.  I like the box, but it doesn't pull well which is why a use a sled.  Great on a cold day.  However I have burnt my line a time or two that metal heats up pretty good. 

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 18, 2010, 06:58 PM »
About ten years ago one of my wrestlers made one in shop class, I can check if the shop teacher still has the plans for one and you can build one.  I would think you'd use a shanty on real thick ice in Mass.  We are at southern end of the Ice Range, we get ice here almost every year, but sometines only a couple weeks.  South of here in Indianapolis they hardley ever get enough safe Ice.  So we have to go light when we go.

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2010, 08:08 PM »
Chicken Noodle,........That is exactly like one that I have.  Haven't used it in over 20 years though.  I became a bucket man.  I modified my box though.  I put 2 windows on the sides up front.  That way you can see better if you are fishing 2 holes side by side after dark.  I also put ski's on it.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 19, 2010, 07:50 PM »
Chicken Noodle,........That is exactly like one that I have.  Haven't used it in over 20 years though.  I became a bucket man.  I modified my box though.  I put 2 windows on the sides up front.  That way you can see better if you are fishing 2 holes side by side after dark.  I also put ski's on it.

Did the skis help pulling the box through deep snow?

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2010, 06:58 AM »
It sure did
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline rjflynn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2010, 11:02 AM »
Here is my first and last attempt at making an ice box

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2010, 03:00 PM »
Nice job!  Did you design your own or use plans?

Offline rjflynn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2010, 03:21 PM »
Nice job!  Did you design your own or use plans?
i designed my own. just took ideas from what i have seen around

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2010, 03:47 PM »
What did you use as a liner on the lantern area?
Nick.

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2010, 10:35 PM »
fishinfiend, put flashing on the bottom of your box, sorta like the old wooden tobaggon sleds, when your finished of course. You know, kinda curls up in the front over ski ends.

Offline rjflynn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2010, 10:04 AM »
What did you use as a liner on the lantern area?
Nick.
white bead board ;D. it reflects the light really well

Offline bluegill1004

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2010, 11:26 AM »
USED TO USE ONE. DOES'NT WORK GOOD IN HEAVY SNOW. I USE A FISH TRAP IF CLOSE AND A SLED IF A LOT OF DISTANCE INVOVLED.

Offline rjflynn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2010, 11:35 AM »
USED TO USE ONE. DOES'NT WORK GOOD IN HEAVY SNOW. I USE A FISH TRAP IF CLOSE AND A SLED IF A LOT OF DISTANCE INVOVLED.
i dont use mine anymore either. just sitting in attic right now

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 05, 2010, 12:24 PM »
Go to Vermont ice fishing. Look up "Homemade Ice Fishing Box." I just posted pictures of my box for a guy. Check out the aluminum rod handle. I can lift up the front of box if snow is deep and the way I have it fastened on box, it never tips over. When at my fishing spot, handle pushes down along sides of box and handle piece becomes ron holder.
My stepson and I each just completed new ones yesterday. Made mine couple inches taller and longer. Use balsa wood and Elmers Glueall for framing.Keeps weight down. Get it from a local model airplane factory. A 3'x3' box for $2.00.
I still use mine every year. Will be 72 day before Christmas. If temp is below 20, I watch TV. Have caught tons of fish using lantern boxes.
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.