Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Waterloo/Cedar Falls  (Read 20422 times)

Offline DoubleBurg

• Team IceShanty Regular
Waterloo/Cedar Falls
« on: Oct 30, 2010, 02:39 PM »
Got a job in Waterloo this year and hoping to target around the area a little more.  Found a nice pond this summer that had lots of huge gills in it.  Only problem is that it is about a half mile walk.  Tried Wyth last year later in the season and got completely skunked.  Talking around it sounds like I missed the bite since everyone was having problems the weekend that I showed up.  My questions to the locals around the area is what kind of bait shops do you have around the area?  I went to the Scheels on University and they didn't have anything out and I noticed last year that they didn't have a huge supply of gear.  I'm hoping to keep something going with us "locals" and wouldn't mind meeting up with a few of you once the ice starts to spend some days fishing together.  Let me know if anyone is interested and in advance good luck to everyone this season.
Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.  -Henry David Thoreau

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Waterloo/Cedar Falls
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2010, 06:54 PM »
Welcome to the area! He doesn't have a lot out yet but hanks will have everything you need out in a couple of weeks. Wythe was slow last year but was on fire 2 years ago. Not a lot of great fishing around here, kinda hit and miss.

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2010, 10:04 AM »
If you don't mind driving south about an hour, Union Grove by Gladbrook had a decent bluegill and crappie bite last winter, especially early-mid season.  Lot of Waterloo area people seem to come down.

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2010, 02:30 AM »
welcome to the area!  Mike down @ hanks on 15th st. and commercial downtown waterloo is an awesome guy. They're starting to get some of their ice stuff in, and i'm sure he'll be gettin it setup here somewhat soon.

Unfortunately around here there isnt a ton of great fishing. Alot of hit and miss but being on the ice is better than sittin @ home.

Brushy creek is usually decent with nice sized fish if you can find em.

Offline russjess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2010, 06:49 AM »
also there is jimmys in waverly right on the main drag that has everything there already set up i go there alot to get bait sweet marsh was really good to me last year for crappies like everyone said though its alot of hit and miss do any of you guys trout fish at all thats a good time when they are stocking the lakes around here
Russ

Offline walleyes4*u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Home of the Free !!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2010, 08:22 AM »
Welcome to the area.......There are some ponds by Waverly along Ave of Sts. and up by Plainfield. I used to run to Clear and Brushy, but now I will be doing alot of fishing on the Miss since I purchased a place over there  ;)

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2010, 08:52 AM »
I'll put in another vote for Hanks bait shop. I stopped in the other day, first time in years, and I was impressed. They had quite a bit of ice stuff out and were putting out more. It's about a 50 mile drive for me, but when I'm in the area you can bet I'll be back there.

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2010, 04:17 PM »
i live about 10 minutes from brushy and would be happy to play "guide" for anyone that wants to wander over to this part of the state....   ;D  also a LOT of good public water in the CF/loo area if you think outside the box!!!

Offline russjess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2010, 04:16 PM »
how was the fishing over at brushy this year and last winter anyways and any help over here on where to go would be nice

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2010, 06:22 PM »
for me anyway, (and i do A LOT of summer bassin'), the summer was pretty good for numbers but size needed a little work....last winter was EXCEPTIONAL (again, for me anyway)...had a really good winter for gills(8-10"), perch(10-12") and crappies(10-16"- found the bigger ones late)...eye's started picking up late ice and carried into spring - had 2 walleyes over 30" within a week after ice-out ...okay, i'll get off the soapbox now.  ;)

Offline russjess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2010, 06:30 PM »
well i might have to make a trip over there and you can show me how to ice fish there i went 4 times last year and didnt catch much at all maybe some tudoring would work

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2010, 07:17 PM »
would love to...gotta love meetin people on here!   ;D

Offline DoubleBurg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2010, 11:31 AM »
Thanks for all the information!  I think I found my hopefully honey hole.  I got a spot that is a bit of a hike to get to the ice but it was producing some big gills (biggest that i've ever caught).  Also saw a lot of bass so I'm hoping to target those a little bit this year.  I talked to the DNR officer and he even said there are some walleye (assuming the floods of 2008 dropped a couple off from the river).  I'll have to try it out and let you know how it goes.  The only big problem with this location is it is about a 3/4 mile walk just to get to the water and it is completely restricted for motorized vehicles.  I'm thinking this is the reason that there is a bigger population.
Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.  -Henry David Thoreau

Offline russjess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2010, 01:58 PM »
you will have to let me know if you want some company on that 3/4 mile hike im up for anything and also meeting new people from here then we would be able to find out where they were in there or not

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2010, 04:21 PM »
is this 3/4 mile hike thru a landfill...if so...you can add great crappies and decent northerns to your list!!!

Offline DoubleBurg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2010, 05:38 PM »
I'll let you know.  I'm more than happy to meet up and do some fishing.  Hoping in two weeks when I am done with school and have a month off we'll have good fresh ice.

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:25 PM »
So how's everyone doing in our area?  :)

Offline reit38

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:34 PM »
is this 3/4 mile hike thru a landfill...if so...you can add great crappies and decent northerns to your list!!!

this is in the waterloo/ CF area?

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2010, 09:07 AM »
So how's everyone doing in our area?  :)
Haven't found a hot bite on any of the lakes yet ???  We did manage some nice gills and crappie on sunday from a private quarry.  I would think east lake should be good to go after this cold snap probably try that this week.

Offline xplicitgtp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:38 PM »
Got the gear out tonight, auger fired up, tied on some new jigs. Got a new Vexilar fl1-12 coming should be here friday. Pry hit big woods saturday afternoon.

Offline russjess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:43 PM »
havent been out yet but going to try somewhere this friday any ideas?????

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2010, 11:26 PM »
Been everywhere myself and have caught a lot of fish just nothing with any size. I did get a hot hour at Dike and got into some nice gills. Couple suppers for me and the kids.  :) and one nice crappie out of East Lake (didn't have a tape but it was as big as my boot and I wear size 13) Big woods is still plum full of 6"-7" crappie as is South Prairie. Haven't tried Wyth Lake yet and actually have never been on it. Maybe a new project this year. Any info on this lake or Grundy county lake aka Dike would be greatly appreciated. Good luck and stay safe.  :icefish:

Offline berkleyboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2010, 09:16 PM »
Hey guys, I am new to the area and love to ice fish. I have all kinds of equipment but don't really don't know where to fish in the area. Would anyone out there like to get together and do some fishing?

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2010, 09:42 PM »
Hey guys, I am new to the area and love to ice fish. I have all kinds of equipment but don't really don't know where to fish in the area. Would anyone out there like to get together and do some fishing?

I'm always down to fish with new people. Have you been out at all around here this year?

Offline jhei88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2010, 10:41 PM »
yea love to go out fish sometime

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 16, 2010, 02:45 AM »

I've been working alot but i love to go out and anyone is welcome...

Offline berkleyboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 16, 2010, 08:19 AM »
I have not been out ice fishing this season yet. I was out a couple of times last season on a local sand pit but would like to do alot more ice fishing. If anyone is interested in getting together just send me an email at [email protected]. Cory

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 16, 2010, 10:31 AM »
Fished east last night..... Fishing was slow managed one nice Crappie and missed a couple bites.

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 16, 2010, 08:46 PM »
I'm game for a little get together. Not been out yet this year, to much work but that will change for 11 days starting next week. May give Big woods a try this Sunday.

Offline russjess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2010, 09:21 PM »
sounds like we should all get together and meet somewhere to go fishing i would love to meet new people and fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.