Author Topic: BERKLY GULP ALIVE  (Read 13247 times)

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
BERKLY GULP ALIVE
« on: Oct 29, 2010, 11:58 AM »
Just picked up two bottles of one inch minnows and took them out fishing. Used live worms and gulp minnows. The minnows out fished the live worm hands down. Has any of you out there had this kind of luck with them. Was woundering if I should get a batch of them while I can.
Take a kid fishing,they make great pack mules.
Put the big ones back for another day eat the small ones.

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: BERKLY GULP ALIVE
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2010, 12:13 PM »
I had quite a few days this past spring, fishing for walleyes, where gulp minnows and leeches outfished live bait.

Offline petrgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2010, 12:26 PM »
I have used the worms.  If you have them in the screw top container be careful once you take off the plastic they can leak like crazy.

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2010, 12:43 PM »
I concur with the leaking top. My trunk reeked for awhile this summer. ::) 
I have used gulp for awhile (summer and winter) and find it to be one of the better artificial baits out there.

I have used the fish fry, minnows, minnow heads, and I am going to try that shrimp imitation this year.

Offline lhprop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2010, 01:29 PM »
I have used the worms.  If you have them in the screw top container be careful once you take off the plastic they can leak like crazy.

Wrapping teflon tape/plumber's tape on the threads solves this problem.  It costs about a buck a roll at most hardware stores. 
How would you play today if you knew you couldn\'t play tomorrow?

Offline wshnIwsfshn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2010, 01:38 PM »
I use the 2inch Arkansas shiners for smalls and they love them I am going to try it jigging this winter for lake rs.

Offline hamiltonmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2010, 02:21 PM »
Wrapping teflon tape/plumber's tape on the threads solves this problem.  It costs about a buck a roll at most hardware stores. 

brilliant fix! never thought of that.....thanks!

the gulp minnows are great . my only complaint WAS the leaky containers

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2010, 02:26 PM »
good products!!!!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2010, 02:38 PM »
two berlkly gulp products that I love, are the waxies/maggots and the minnow heads that came out last year. Both worked awesome on all species of panfish

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2010, 03:24 PM »
two berlkly gulp products that I love, are the waxies/maggots and the minnow heads that came out last year. Both worked awesome on all species of panfish
i haven't tried the heads yet, but the maggots work great!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline BrianV

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2010, 05:35 PM »
Used the minnows and the maggots. Minnows worked well, the maggots didn't really do much except leak all the fluid into the pocket of my fishing jacket...

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2010, 05:47 PM »
I had really good luck with the minnow heads last year, and the 2" smelts.  Will try the 1" this year.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2010, 05:52 PM »
I have used the maggots, waxies, and the 1" minnows for ice fishing....most days, they outfish live bait.

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 29, 2010, 08:12 PM »
Love the Gulp products.  I use the waxies and maggots for hard and softwater panfish - work great.  Got some of the minnow heads at the Syracuse Ice Show last year.  Used them a few times but with no luck yet.  Don't think its the product, just the circumstances.  Also have used the leeches, minnows, and owrms for softwater - love them too.

Thanks for the idea on the teflon tape - great idea - will try.

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 29, 2010, 08:42 PM »
i do well with the waxies and the maggots jigging

Offline nove

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 29, 2010, 08:46 PM »
x5 on the waxies
I don't leave home without em! 

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 29, 2010, 09:45 PM »
Go to your local Walmart of wherever.  They have snap containers called "lock-n-lock", made by Starfrit.  These things are perfect for the gulp juice.  Even stored upside down for weeks there's no leaks.
http://www.starfrit.com/Home/Products/kitchen/Container.aspx?sc_lang=en

Offline bmxrider11976

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 29, 2010, 09:54 PM »
i owe hundreds of trout over the passed 3 years in open water to the 2 inch gulp minnows. havent tried them for the hardstuff yet. i know the crappie love em open water too so i dont see why they woldnt eat them if its frozen. the maggots are great too as others stated. tip a tear drop with em and get you pan hot for a fish fry!
USE A BOBBER!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #18 on: Oct 30, 2010, 03:23 AM »
Unfortunately I have not had the success with Gulp Alive that others have reported. I picked up a bucket for salt water fishing mixture of crabs/shrimp no fish on them yet only product I have caught fish on are the blood and sand worms. I do not do much salt water fishing so the problem could be in the way I"m using the products. The Power Bait products did work for me the dough bait like jars and the maggots.
 Besides the Teflon tape idea Plano Molding makes a product called Liqua-Bait Locker it contains a rubber seal to hold in any spilled liquids .The locker comes with a bottle/jar to replace the buckets they are sold in also a pair of plastic tweezers/grabbers and plastic dividers so you can also store the bags of Gulp with the zip lock tops. I purchased this product from Tackle Direct in Somer's Point,NJ. for $19.00 plus tax. The locker is compatible with the 3700 series of Plano products.               Steve

www.TackleDirect.com               www.PlanoMolding.com

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 30, 2010, 04:39 AM »
I have used the GULP maggots for ice fishing in the past. They worked for panfish, I also used 'em for some added scent along with live minnows for walleyes with a bit of success. I like the 3-5in gulp alive minnows for open water walleye fishing but havent had any luck with 'em on the ice. I have also used some of the gulp crawlers for some rainbow trout fun a month ago and they worked better than the live crawlers because I didnt have to rebait after every fish. I just bought some of the minnow heads and cant wait to try those out soon!!! I'll have to try the plumbers tape suggestion on the bait jars because I don't like that gulp juice all over the place either!!!

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Oct 30, 2010, 05:57 AM »
i haven't tried the heads yet, but the maggots work great!
I tried the Maggots last year and they now sit on the shelf in my garage. They didn't work for me. I went back to live grubs and they work much better for me.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 30, 2010, 08:40 AM »
i tried that maggots last year and they worked great when the gills were hot but i didn't do worth a crap on perch but i never got into a good perch bite either.  Gonna give them a good shot again next season.  I am gonna give the minnow heads next season for eyes too.

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 30, 2010, 09:57 AM »
Just thinking about getting some of these Gulp alive products. Would you think a baby food jar would make a good container to take with you. i think the seal would keep from leaking juice, but would the glass be a downfall? Just wondering.

servocam

« Reply #23 on: Oct 30, 2010, 11:52 AM »
I tried the Gulp waxies this summer pan fishing vs live waxies.  The live worked better getting bites, however, the Gulp holds up much better / don't get rip'd off so easy. 

I will be trying more of the artificial bait this winter.

Offline eyesfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 30, 2010, 01:38 PM »
Seems to work for me in the summer but not in the winter.
Get the flag!

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #25 on: Oct 30, 2010, 05:16 PM »
I prefer to use Gulp! Alive over live bait any day for panfish, summer or winter.  I use the 1" minnow, minnow fry, maggots/waxies, minnow heads, and earthworm.  There are days though when the crappie want the live minnows under a float, and won't touch the plastics. 

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 30, 2010, 05:21 PM »
I've been using Gulp products since they came out and they've worked well for me overall. Some days the fish just won't cooperate no matter what you're using, right? There's little doubt the "real" thing is *usually* better than the man-made interpretation but a few points are:

1) Minnows are a hassle in Wyoming. There are drainage issues, can't transport them to other bodies of water.

2) Expensive! I used to trap my own back in Kansas years ago and the price of a dozen itty-bitty lethargic minnows are redonkulous.

3) Convenience. Using the minnows, maggots, and bits of worm, Gulp Alive products have produced for me over and over. Not every trip, but live bait has failed me as well too. Overall, I believe these products to be a great alternative to the hassles, expense and caring for live baits and am looking forward to another season using them. Especially the minnow heads. Last season I began tearing the heads off of the minnows to jig with then used the tails to tip rapalas with.

Offline jonesy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Oct 30, 2010, 05:57 PM »
I've caught a lot of pickeral with gulp leeches, and the maggots were good last season for rainbows, I'll keep using it.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #28 on: Oct 30, 2010, 11:58 PM »
I have used the waxies for ice fishing and they are great.

I also tried the worms on Crawler harnesses, but the real thing seems to work better.
I don't know why.

Same colors, same depth, same everything, but my experience has been poor with the night crawler gulp.

I have used the Berkley Trout Powerbait (paste) and it works great.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 31, 2010, 05:16 PM »
I tried the Maggots last year and they now sit on the shelf in my garage. They didn't work for me. I went back to live grubs and they work much better for me.

I had the same experience. Tried Gulp on several different lakes in 2 countries with the same results. Not a fan of Gulp at all, I'd rather use Maki plastics.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.