Author Topic: vexilar or marcum  (Read 6531 times)

Offline billybass

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
vexilar or marcum
« on: Oct 21, 2010, 07:42 PM »
looking to get a vex or marcum have fished with a vex fl8 that was my buddies now i want one gregs army navy online has the marcum 45 for 350.00 and the vex fls 18 for 349.00 so what one is the best and for what reasons! this is a lot of  cheese want to get best one dont fish super deep but do try for the eyes somtimes mostly pans so it needs too work for both thanks for any help andif your looking for one go to gregs real good price killed bass pro and gander!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
Re: vexilar or marcum
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2010, 09:05 PM »
I would get a Marcum LX3 for 399.99 and send in for the rebate.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2010, 06:42 AM »
looking to get a vex or marcum have fished with a vex fl8 that was my buddies now i want one gregs army navy online has the marcum 45 for 350.00 and the vex fls 18 for 349.00 so what one is the best and for what reasons! this is a lot of  cheese want to get best one dont fish super deep but do try for the eyes somtimes mostly pans so it needs too work for both thanks for any help andif your looking for one go to gregs real good price killed bass pro and gander!

I don't believe that Marcum has a model 45.  Humminbird does.  I would go with the 'Bird  since they don't have any interference issues with the Vex and Marcum, which your buddies may have.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2010, 11:53 AM »
this seems to be the age old question, Im a vexilar guy so thats the direction I would push you in. You are already familair with the product and quality, so why start from scratch with a new company that you may not like as much (unless you had issues with your vex)

I have no issues with Marcum or H'bird, but i use a Vex and love it, if i was to buy a new model today, i woudl stick with Vex, has not let me down and I know how it works and feels on the ice.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2010, 12:05 PM »

I have a marcum & love it, a friend has a vex & likes it except when he's around me or other marcums he says he gets interferance but we don't get it from his. if you fish mainly by yourself don't worry aboutit & get what your comfortable with.

Offline Caseman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2010, 12:13 PM »
         I have a marcum & love it, a friend has a vex & likes it except when he's around me or other marcums he says he gets interferance but we don't get it from his. if you fish mainly by yourself don't worry aboutit & get what your comfortable with.

The Interferance issue is why I sold my Vexilar FL-12.  And bought a Humminbird ice-55

I would vote for the Marcum. 

When I sold my vexilar I knew I wanted either the Marcum or the Humminbird.   
The reason I went with the Humminbird is that I really like the large screen.  And I got it for $350 it was only used for 1 month.

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2010, 12:17 PM »
I'd say..... If you drive a ford, get a vex. If you drive a chevy, get a marcum. If you drive a dodge, get a h-bird. ;D   I drive a ford and own 2 vex's. :thumbsup: Hope this helps. ;D

Offline Flattop

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2010, 02:46 PM »
I bought a Marcum LX-5 last season and love it.  I think your best bet is to read up on all of them cause they all are good, just got to decide for yourself where you're gonna spend your hard earned money. Just my 2 cents.

Joe
In life "The day you quit learning, better be the day you quit"
"I learn something new every day, even if it's how not to do something"

Offline edmonds

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2010, 03:26 PM »
I don't think it matters as long as you have a flasher.  They all are pretty good and will put more fish in your bucket.  Just get what you feel is right and what you can afford.  I don't think you will be disappointed by any of them.

servocam

« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2010, 04:29 PM »
I'm with edomonds on this one.  Last year I read hundreds, if not thousands of posts and my came up with the conclusion that weather I buy a Vex or a MarC, they are going to be the same, just buy one of them.  I picked up a FL8 from my neighbor that I used last year and happy with it.  Purchase what you can afford, then upgrade in a few years on if you want better.  Most of my ice fishermen friends have two flashers.

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2010, 04:43 PM »
I put it like this...plane and simple.

It doesnt matter what brand of flasher you buy any one of them will help double your catch rate.

Vexilar Fl8, Marcum VX1, and Humminbird Ice35

Are the basic units of all 3 companies

I would say purchase what you like and can afford. You wont be disappointed by any of them.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline Shienar

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EVERYONE GET BENT
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2010, 09:00 PM »
the only thing i would recommend is get a unit with zoom
its not necessary but theres time when it really comes in handy

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2010, 09:25 PM »
I'm a vex man my fl=18 is three years old still works fine same original battery. Unit gets used 3 or 4 times a week in winter.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2010, 04:49 AM »
Go Ice fishing with people that have each!

Or if you are out on the ice and see someone with one, ask how they like it.

There are always pros and cons, just like the Chevy vs Ford debate ( or Ginger vs Mary Ann if you prefer   ;D),
 it comes down to personal preference.

I have had a couple of vexilars, and they have not let me down ever.
I have not tried Marcum, but a friend has one and loves it.

Get the best you can afford, and maintain it.

You won't be disappointed,  and your catch rate will sky rocket.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline perch on ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2010, 09:02 AM »
I have the 55 bird and love it.  One friend has a marcum vx-1, one has a showdown, one has a lowrance ice machine.  They all love their units too.  The only thing I would say is that I would have been just fine with the 45.  As long as you learn how to properly use what you have, you will love it because the pile on the ice will be much larger 99.9% of the time!!!!!

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 23, 2010, 09:05 AM »
I'd say..... If you drive a ford, get a vex. If you drive a chevy, get a marcum. If you drive a dodge, get a h-bird. ;D   I drive a ford and own 2 vex's. :thumbsup: Hope this helps. ;D
Ford too!! Two vex's also.  :) :)

Offline icecube

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2010, 09:43 AM »
  I drive a dodge and have 2 vex's a Humminbird and a Aqua-Vu. Uh - Oh now what? ???

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #17 on: Oct 23, 2010, 10:40 AM »
  I drive a dodge and have 2 vex's a Humminbird and a Aqua-Vu. Uh - Oh now what? ???
Ya might have to trade for a Toyota.  ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline IceLabrador

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lead me to all of your secret spots or I'll bite!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 25, 2010, 05:44 PM »
Get the Marcum.  I have the Lx-5 and absolutely love the unit.  I bought it at the local Ice Fishing show in Central New York.  I beleive their running a rebate program at the present time.  Take advantage of it and buy a Marcum you won't be dissapointed.  Marcum's are above the competition trust me!

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #19 on: Oct 25, 2010, 09:45 PM »
The Ford/ Chevy/dodge analogy is just wrong.  For anybody going to buy their first flasher they should know that it is a money issue.  Vex FL-8 costs what a Marcum Vx-1 and bird 35 cost but does less and needs an S-cable for Like $30 to function properly.  With the Bird and marcum you get zoom,  this may not mean much to a non-flasher owner but take it from us that do it means a lot.  It is an indispensable tool.  And if you want to buy a vex with bottom zoom you have to go with an fl-18 which will cost you   $440 as cheap as I can find it.  You can buy a marcum lx3-tc with moveable zoom for $375 after rebate.  I won't even get into the other specs that make a difference.   That's all you need to know..... to make the best decision.  In all fairness I'll say it is nice to have a ducer interchangeable on all units,  but not a deal changer for myself.  Anyway you can get a showdown with a dual ducer for $399.00 or a Lx-5 with all sorts of goodies for $450 after rebate.  The choice is easy if your a smart consumer......
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 25, 2010, 09:52 PM »
The Ford/ Chevy/dodge analogy is just wrong.  For anybody going to buy their first flasher they should know that it is a money issue.  Vex FL-8 costs what a Marcum Vx-1 and bird 35 cost but does less and needs an S-cable for Like $30 to function properly.  With the Bird and marcum you get zoom,  this may not mean much to a non-flasher owner but take it from us that do it means a lot.  It is an indispensable tool.  And if you want to buy a vex with bottom zoom you have to go with an fl-18 which will cost you   $440 as cheap as I can find it.  You can buy a marcum lx3-tc with moveable zoom for $375 after rebate.  I won't even get into the other specs that make a difference.   That's all you need to know..... to make the best decision.  In all fairness I'll say it is nice to have a ducer interchangeable on all units,  but not a deal changer for myself.  Anyway you can get a showdown with a dual ducer for $399.00 or a Lx-5 with all sorts of goodies for $450 after rebate.  The choice is easy if your a smart consumer......
  Wow stroker. You said it all. I own 2 vex's and only wish one of those were a marcum. Sounds like you have some anger issues  ;D lol.......

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #21 on: Oct 25, 2010, 10:13 PM »
  Wow stroker. You said it all. I own 2 vex's and only wish one of those were a marcum. Sounds like you have some anger issues  ;D lol.......

Not that angry   ::)  But I'm tired of the loyalty charge.  This time last year I was flasher-less.  But I did my due diligence and made a great choice.  Like I said I was flasher-less but still after hours and hours of research found out the truths.  I had no loyalty.  How can you have loyalty to something you've never owned.   Whilst it might be true for those vex owners who've had them for twenty years, for most of us i don't think so.  If it makes sense for somebody to pay more for less then do that if it makes you happy.  But there are a lot of noobs out there who need to know that one big difference is zoom,  forget everything else.  If you can buy a unit for $300 with zoom compared to $440 then that's what any right minded individual should do.  If you can break the $450 thresh hold then you should buy a machine that is far superior to the competitions and that is either an Lx-5 or a bird  ice 55.  I am only comparing flashers here not LCD's because that's not my bag Baby......
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 25, 2010, 10:30 PM »
Not that angry   ::)  But I'm tired of the loyalty charge.  This time last year I was flasher-less.  But I did my due diligence and made a great choice.  Like I said I was flasher-less but still after hours and hours of research found out the truths.  I had no loyalty.  How can you have loyalty to something you've never owned.   Whilst it might be true for those vex owners who've had them for twenty years, for most of us i don't think so.  If it makes sense for somebody to pay more for less then do that if it makes you happy.  But there are a lot of noobs out there who need to know that one big difference is zoom,  forget everything else.  If you can buy a unit for $300 with zoom compared to $440 then that's what any right minded individual should do.  If you can break the $450 thresh hold then you should buy a machine that is far superior to the competitions and that is either an Lx-5 or a bird  ice 55.  I am only comparing flashers here not LCD's because that's not my bag Baby...... (Image removed from quote.)
[/quot   dude I'm not argueing with you at all!!! I own 2 vex's and wish I could've found a marcum when I bought my second but everyone was sold out at the time. By all means marcum is top notch!!! You just crack me up bro!!! ;D

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #23 on: Oct 26, 2010, 06:24 AM »
Besides being able to zoom in a specific water column, having a dual transducer (cone) can be invaluable.

~Just me 2 cents (btw I own a 'Bird ICE 45 - no need for the 55)

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 26, 2010, 07:31 AM »
The issue concerning the vexilar. There is 20 different frequencies to change when interference is a problem. Believe me if you are fishing close on someone and you are having trouble all you have to do is keep pushing the center button until it clears up. I have fished in my tent with side by side vexilars and have had no trouble. I owned the fl8 for the first 5 years than 3 years ago upgraded to the 18. Unfortunately I haven't fished deep water yet and don't get to use the zoom. Needless to say, I am a vex guy but any type of flasher will improve your catch.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #25 on: Oct 26, 2010, 11:08 AM »
I own a Vex FL18, but think they are all great including the LCD units. I don't fish deep water and I would like to try the FL22, but don't want to spend the money. The same goes for any new flasher. I don't want to spend the money when this old girl keeps doing what I want her to. When I do decide to go for a new unit, I will be doing a ton of research which is what I do before I buy anything that costs a bit. I think I bought my FL 18 the first year they were on the market and probably would have bought an LX5, but the guy that owns the baitshop was having problems with people bringing them back and had problems dealing with Marcum about the ones that were returned. He recommended the FL 18 to me for this reason. I understand that Marcum has top notch customer service now, but the guy that owns the baitshop still won't sell Marcum flashers. He does sell Marcum cameras though and has few problems with them.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #26 on: Oct 26, 2010, 08:43 PM »
You just give me a hollar Dawg when your ready. I will hook yah up.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #27 on: Oct 27, 2010, 07:35 AM »
Stump, you da man.  ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Oct 27, 2010, 08:32 PM »
I owned  2 vexes from factory outlet store the 18 is 8 yrs old and the 8 is now 17 yrs and old and both going strong 8 has a new owner , but take a look at a Lowrance x67c ice machine has both a flasher and a graph mode plus other goodies year around deal and much cheaper!! but mine is only going on the third season not tried and tested yet, and for having trouble fishing next to anyone with other units ,with either vex or the Lowrance, only little problem with a Humminbird, but he tweeked his a little  and everything was normal , shop around ,web sites etc. PS more power does not always mean better , and if you can read something as big as your little finger in 30 + ft what more does one need, tite line and good luck shopping

Offline billybass

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #29 on: Oct 27, 2010, 10:37 PM »
well i got the fl18 ultra pack 1yr old spent 350 of craigslist the only bad thing the cd was cracked other than that i cant wait for ice just wacked a juicy doe and got a vex ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.