Author Topic: trapping shiners?  (Read 13268 times)

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
trapping shiners?
« on: Oct 17, 2010, 07:28 PM »
 :tipup:  I'm down to the last few weeks of open water to trap some shiners for this winter.
            I've got four traps that I bait with a hot dog roll with a little bit of Power Bait inside.
            Seems to get me a few shiners every day but I don't know if I can do something better.
            Any special bait formula that anyone uses.  Can I trap shiners right up to ice time?
            Can I trap them in pond after the ice has formed?? 
            Has anybody ever used tiny horn pout for bait??   
            Any advice will be appreciated.  Bait is getting awfully expensive lately.
             Dick

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
Re: trapping shiners?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2010, 07:47 PM »
Horn pout are not on the allowable baitfish list . Look on page 10-11 of the Freshwater Fishing Guide at-->http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fishing/fishing.htm
Try dry dawg food in a mesh bag for bait-its what I use. Trapping will start slowing down as the water chills, usually dies out for me around the first week of November. Some guys say they have luck thru the ice , but I never have , even at places I know hold shiners. Good luck, keep trying different spots.

Offline draz

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2010, 09:31 AM »
I use a onion bagel from DD for bait (no joke) only use half and get 2 sets out of it. Holds up better and doesn't break up to much causing them to come on in.
Last year I was able to trap about 30 dozens shiners. I have trapped them through the ice, does slow down but still get them. I trap in some of the residential housing areas that have a fire pond, I ask for permission just not to make anyone mad, just ask some of the local people walking around. This way your traps will be there when you go back.
Good luck

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2010, 11:25 AM »
Ritz crackers work well for me, as does dog food
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline Pimpshack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2010, 06:46 PM »
large pools in creeks or small rivers.  I find alot in the inlet area of a pond. I like to hang a worm from the top center of my traps too.

surflizard

« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2010, 06:51 PM »
Welcome to the Shanty Pimpshack, Glad to have ya !

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2010, 07:21 PM »
I use cheap bread and dog food (gravy type) so it leaches. I put the dog food and bread in wire baskets so they sink to the bottom inside of the trap. This way the bread and dog food isn't floating at the top of the trap where the bait can eat without going into the trap. Bait has to go into the trap to eat using the wire baskets inside the traps.

Currently trapping suckers and red fin shiners, getting my supply ready. Long night tonight but lucky...low winds. When it starts to slow down (your success rate is getting lower), you gotta move it move it.

Good luck,
JIGGIN.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2010, 06:29 AM »

:tipup:  Thanks a lot.  I use dog food in two traps and Agway floating fish food in the other two.
What a difference!!  They all had shiners and I bet I got two dozen shiners per trap. 
Draz,  I knew there was a practical use for onion bagels ;)    I like blueberry bagels but I won't share them with the bait.  Does DD know that you are stealing his bagels?

Thanks
Dick

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2010, 11:14 AM »

:tipup:  Thanks a lot.  I use dog food in two traps and Agway floating fish food in the other two.
What a difference!!  They all had shiners and I bet I got two dozen shiners per trap. 
Thanks
Dick

Out of curiousity, which was better in your opinion? Dog food or the fish food?
I've never tried the fish food. Is it expensive?

JIGGIN.

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2010, 02:37 PM »
My go-to pond isn't accessable until freezup, so I don't start until there's 1 1/2-2" of ice, but it also shuts down just after the first of the year when the water turns anaerobic (no O2)
  My Maine pond produced slowly all season for me though
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline Mik-N-Del

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2010, 08:48 AM »
We use wheat bread. Finding a loaded pond always helps too. We've got 40 dozen in the tanks after 3 days of trapping.

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 21, 2010, 03:12 PM »
We use wheat bread. Finding a loaded pond always helps too. We've got 40 dozen in the tanks after 3 days of trapping.
:o :o :o :woot: :bow: Welcome aboard (7 posts) and where did you say you're from? GPS please, we strive for accuracy   ::)

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 21, 2010, 09:36 PM »
 :tipup:   Jiggin- Fish Food seemed best especially because it floats high in the trap for a long time.
                       20 lbs cost me $20 at Agway but I have to use it for my small pond fish too.

rockhound-  Thanks!  good to know I can trap below the ice because all of my shiners are going
                            into my backyard 20'X20' pond and I only hope I will be able to trap them out duriing ice fishing season.

MikeNDel-  Wheat bread is what my wife feeds me to keep me healthy.  But she says that
                              ice fishing isn't good for my health :-\   40 doz. shiners in 3 days tells me you have a
                              super place to trap.   I would send  rockhound the GPS coordinates of the local
                               sewage treatment plant ;D

Dick

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2010, 05:34 PM »

MikeNDel-   I would send  rockhound the GPS coordinates of the local
                               sewage treatment plant ;D

Dick
:'( :'(   :P thbbbbbbttttt :P
 and anyway, I already tried there, all they had were those big old finless browns

tooooo soft to get on a hook.................. .............eeeewwwww weeeeee :sick: :sick:

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 22, 2010, 05:51 PM »
 :tipup:   Why did I know that you would say that?? ;)
              Got another 10 doz. shiners from my little pond tonight but I can't ID them.
               Some golden shiners but most are cute little guys that look like a variety of
               Chubs and Dace.  At 27 degrees it was almost too cold to handle traps.  Maybe
               time to go deer hunting. :-\

Dick :tipup:

Offline loudonfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • don't have to ge crazy to ice fish/ but it helps
« Reply #15 on: Oct 24, 2010, 01:46 PM »
check this out guys  put out 3 traps last night and checked them this morning. 516 shiners. yes I did count them. we'll see if I can get another 500 tomorrow

surflizard

« Reply #16 on: Oct 24, 2010, 03:35 PM »
Welcome to the Shanty, Loudonfisherman ! Thats a mess of Shiners !!

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 24, 2010, 03:38 PM »
In NH , you are only allowed to take 2 quarts of shiners daily. Unless yer out of state, or yer minnows are less than 1/4" , you maybe over yer daily bag limit. This was mentioned last year during trapping season as were other legal requirements for traps and baitfish trapping. The thread was deleted and I can`t seem to find the information online from FnG, but you can contact FnG thru e-mail and you will get a response. It always amazes me that people will just do something without finding out the legal specifics, even when the punishment is loss of license for a year, as we saw last year. Even telling others that something is legal ,when it is not, is illegal now,and as such , will lose your right to fish for a year. It`s right there in the guide. Do your research, learn what you are allowed to trap and how much and where and with what, BEFORE ya toss traps into the water. They won`t let you claim , " I didn`t know!" , Ignorance is no exception, here`s yer sign.

Offline loudonfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • don't have to ge crazy to ice fish/ but it helps
« Reply #18 on: Oct 24, 2010, 06:22 PM »
legal if u r a bait dealer.I can have as many as i want

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2010, 06:38 PM »
I was curious what your $26 bought you in NH. I see in the guide that Bait Dealers license allows you to harvest your own but under specific rules etc. Where can you find the "specific rules" . As a licensed Bait Dealer can u use seines etc? I also have heard that obtaining the Bait Dealers license leaves your "shop" open for inspection by the state. I find that 6 traps is more than enough for personal use and suites me fine, how many are legal as a dealer? If you could point me to the rules , I might be interested in obtaining one if the benifits outweigh the negatives/cost. TY RoTT ps -I`ll take back that sign now.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #20 on: Oct 24, 2010, 06:58 PM »
2009 New Hampshire Code
Here is some info DasRot:

TITLE XVIII — FISH AND GAME (Includes Chapters 206 - 215-C)
CHAPTER 214 — LICENSES
Section 214:34-a Manner of Taking

Any person holding a bait dealer's license may take smelt, minnows, shiners, suckers, chubs, or tommycod by means of a dip net held in hand, a drop net not over 48 inches in diameter, or by means of a square umbrella net not over 42 inches on a side. Minnows, shiners, chubs and tommycod may also be taken by licensed bait dealers in traps measuring not over 36 inches long with an opening not to exceed 1- 1/2 inches in diameter. Suckers may also be taken in traps not to exceed 50 inches in length and 30 inches in diameter with an opening of not less than 3- 1/2 inches in diameter. Licensed dealers may also take any of the species, except smelt, mentioned in this section, by means of an ordinary commercial type minnow seine not over 4 feet in depth and not over 50 feet long, from such streams, lakes, and ponds and at such times as are approved by the executive director.
Source. 1965, 347:1. 1983, 252:5, eff. Aug. 17, 1983.

Offline shsalchemist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2015, 07:02 PM »
i am 14 and i have been traping shiners for a long time not for ice fishing not untill two years ago what i do is i found a pond made by beavers on the power lines. now traping shiners is a year long thing but you only need to trap for a few days. during the spring and summer i loaded the pond up with all the stale bread and dog food every. this made the shiners huge and reproduce fast. then when the water cooled down to like 50 degrees i started traping i could get maybe 10 doezen in a day then i put them in a 75 gallon tank with no filtration just pumps to put oxygen in. the trick is to find a pond with only shiners and then power feed them and trap in bulk and quickly

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2015, 06:57 AM »
So what you are saying is to remove fish from one body of water and relocate them to another  ::)   

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 31, 2015, 11:04 PM »
What traps do you guys use?

Offline ice fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Apr 01, 2015, 04:14 AM »
 ??? a long time

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac