Author Topic: Keeping wax worms fresh  (Read 3518 times)

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Keeping wax worms fresh
« on: Dec 09, 2004, 11:24 AM »
Hey guys,

Fresh off my rookie season I am chomping at the bit for some ice here in Eastern PA... anywho, I was thinking of mail-ordering my bait this year and was wondering if there is anything special to consider in the way of taking care of them. I'd like to order 1000, but not if 500+ are going to die on me by mid-January.

Any tips for a sophomore ice jigger? ;D

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
Re: Keeping wax worms fresh
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2004, 11:43 AM »
I've never bought that many at a time but I do buy hundreds. I keep them in wood shavings and lose very few. One word of caution, do NOT store them in a styrofoam container. They will eat right through it. happened to a buddy and his wife was not too pleased to find them all over the inside of her refridgerator.
Pete Lewis

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2004, 11:46 AM »
You need to use a metal can,  like a used coffee can filled with saw dust.  You need to keep them in cool temeratures so they don't start to change,  I keep mine in the fridge but an unheated garage works too,  if it's part of the house.  Make sure to pick out the dead ones every few days,  so they don't contaminate the live ones and you should be good to go. Mine lasted two months last time,  until I run out.  Good luck!

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2004, 11:50 AM »
I keep mine in my unheated garage. I keep a thermometer next to it so I know what the temp is. I keep them between 55 and 60 degrees Fahrenheit. I keep them in a plastic container with that inside a styrofoam cooler(to keep drafts off them). I had some for over 3.5 months last year.
Ken                                          

stinky

« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2004, 12:14 PM »
  No matter what you do some of your waxies will die. Keep them cool not in the fridge a cool spot in the basement or garage but not where they will freeze. Usually about 40 to 45 degrees is perfect. Check them often and keep them in dry bedding and pull the dead ones out or they will make moisture and you will loose more.
 Spikes you can keep in the fridge and they will last up to 3 months with proper care also.
 It is warm here in IL so I won't get my bulk bait for another week or so to make it easier to keep them.
Bon

Offline zaraspooker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • on top rocks
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2004, 12:36 PM »
Stinky-
I am a fellow IL hard water fisherman.....
Where do you buy your bulk bait from?

Offline 32degrees

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2004, 01:06 PM »
The bait shop guys, always say keep'em 50-55 degrees but not in the refridgerator. I have the best luck in the fridge on the outside door 40- 45'ish.The most important thing is to keep them from getting any condensation!!! They will not last very long if they get any moisture on them.When going fishing, put what you need in a fresh container of sawdust,and keep the rest home and dry. After returning home I re-shake them in new dry sawdust and put them back in the fridge. I loose very few doing this,and I fish them 2-4 times a week.. :)

GEM_EYE_GUY

« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2004, 02:53 PM »
Just a pinch b'tween the cheek and gum.

power driller

« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2004, 09:55 PM »
here in minnesota we keep are waxies in old snuff cans.store in the fridge or in the garage next to a inside door, dont want them freezing.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2004, 03:49 AM »
I use a lot of waxies.....usually buy 250-500 at a time from Wholesale Bait

Great bait supplier :thumbsup:

Keep them on the basement floor in a corner. Inspect often and remove any corpses. DON'T FREEZE THEM :P

I'm gonna try raising some this year just for fun. There was a good post here last year with instructions...I'll try to dig it up and repost it.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2004, 08:37 AM »
I had some eat through the lid of an cottage cheese container. I've had more die in the fridge than out. I know my local bait guy doesn't keep his in the fridge, I don't either,but I use more spikes than waxies, I only carry a few waxies "just in case"!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

stinky

« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2004, 10:04 AM »
zaraspooker My local bait shop gets them for me and I also get bait thru vado's bait they have great bait and it always comes fast  so I don't have to wait to long. delivered fresh and last a long time by takeing care of them. its still to warm but maybe next week I will have to order.
Bob

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2004, 10:38 AM »
High guys, my first post here, 50 degree's for waxworms and 34 degree's for spikes

PIKEGUY

« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2004, 10:45 AM »
How much do you guys pay when buying in bulk?

Gillman

« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2004, 04:38 PM »
I usually add some cornmeal to the container,  seems to help them live longer, plus I think it chums the water a bit....hehe

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2004, 11:31 PM »
hey pikeguy, I get spikes $5 a 1000, I am going to pick up 6000 early next. I am freinds with a grower and I can get them before they get to all the middle men.

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2004, 07:38 PM »
I use Grubco.com for my bait.Guaranteed live delivery,and the bait is always fresh and lively.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.