Author Topic: Trying to figure out what size inverter to use ?  (Read 1665 times)

surflizard

Trying to figure out what size inverter to use ?
« on: Oct 10, 2010, 06:55 PM »
I saw a post where someone was using a marine battery and a Inverter to run a crock pot. I was wondering how to figure out what size inverter would I need to do this?

Offline jonesy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Trying to figure out what size inverter to use ?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2010, 07:17 PM »
I have a 1000 watt one I use with my jeep and it doesn't like anything with a heating element, yet it will run a 4 inch grinder under load

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2010, 07:56 PM »
Determine how many watts you are going to need to run whatever it is you are going to run. Look at continuous and peak load needed.

Of course don't forget our friend Ohm...
that is, don't forget to convert the amps to watts to determine what size you will need.
ampsX120v = watts

A modified sign wave inverter should work fine although you may want to look into a pure sign wave one. I too run one in my Jeep, 2000 watts and there hasn't been anything I have hooked to it that hasn't work well from hand tools...cutters, grinders to a microwave or blender. Sometimes though a small incandescent light has to be hooked up to it also in order to load it properly for a particular appliance. But other then one or two items it works for all I need.

Some work better with some appliances then others. Shop around and ask the various manufacturers if their product will work for your particular wants/needs.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Trooper Bri

« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2010, 09:31 PM »
That may have been my post you saw. I think it was 1000 watts, but I'll ask the owner/operator tomorrow.

According to the labels, my small crock is rated at 155 watts, and my big crock is rated at 250 watts. So a 500-1000 watt inverter will give you plenty of overhead. That makes for a happier inverter since you aren't loading it hard.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2010, 01:58 AM »
Make sure you have a big enough deep cycle battery. Most inverters will drop out at 85-90% input voltage.

I've been looking at microwave ovens for my bucket truck. I have a 5000w pure sine inverter and it gets pretty cold up there in winter. Sure would be nice to be able to heat up my lunch on the road.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

surflizard

« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2010, 04:13 AM »
Hey Trooper, wasn't that your ice crew get together ? I saw that crock pot set up and the gears started turnin !  ;D  I've got a good marine deep cycle battery and a couple of crock pots.Now to get an inverter and I'll be good to go !

Thanks for the replies and feedback on this question guys, I appreciate the help !  :thumbsup:

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2010, 06:54 PM »
Hey Trooper, wasn't that your ice crew get together ? I saw that crock pot set up and the gears started turnin !  ;D  I've got a good marine deep cycle battery and a couple of crock pots.Now to get an inverter and I'll be good to go !

Thanks for the replies and feedback on this question guys, I appreciate the help !  :thumbsup:
It was Trooper Bri's post. from the looks of it, it was not a very big inverter. I think it goes by the wattage that the appliance uses.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2010, 09:02 PM »
I saw at Gander Mountain, they have 12 volt crock pot / slow cookers and also coffee pots.

It was back in the camping section.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.