Author Topic: Patching the shanty  (Read 2578 times)

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
Patching the shanty
« on: Oct 10, 2010, 11:48 AM »
I have an older Clam flip over that was given to me. The two sides of it were torn when I got it and I stitched it up. Which last most of last season. But towards the end of season it began to rip along the stitching again. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get some patching material. I'd like to do this before winter sets in, so hopefully I can find some soon.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
Re: Patching the shanty
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2010, 12:13 PM »
You want to fix easy and cheap. Buy some shoe goo and find an old canvas bag. Cut some patches from the bag and shoo goo them over all the bad spots. Done!

HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2010, 12:55 PM »
I burned a hole in my Frabill shack a few years ago.  Called up frabill they sent me some patch material for like 5 bucks.  Put fabric glue on the tent and the patch on both sides.  Dont even know that 2 inch hole was there.

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2010, 07:36 PM »
I used iron on denim material from wallymart.  works great, and has lasted for 4 years.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2010, 07:44 AM »
There are many patch kits out there, you'll have to check out the different sites to get the best deal.  Clam makes some for their houses so it should come close to matching, at least it's of the same material.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2010, 11:03 AM »
There are many patch kits out there, you'll have to check out the different sites to get the best deal.  Clam makes some for their houses so it should come close to matching, at least it's of the same material.

Ya, unless they sell it pre-faded the color won't be matching.  ;)  Thanks guys

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2010, 06:37 AM »
I had my FishTrap open up and flip over when towing it down the ice one time. I had some good rips in it. I took it to an Awning place and they patched it up for me. The material was almost a perfect match. When patching try to use fire retardent material if you can find it. It does sound like your material is going rotten though. Try a tent/awning repair to make a new one. You may still be able to find one hidden alway at clam to repalce the tent.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2010, 06:34 PM »
The material is probably getting bad. I got the shack for free from a friend who had purchased it a number of years ago. He used it a lot and then it sat up in the rafters of his garage for about 2 years or so when I got it from him last year. I'll have to get ahold of clam and an awning place and see what it would cost.

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2010, 08:30 AM »
Clam's website has replacement tents.  For older models not listed you'd probably have to call them.

http://www.clamcorpstore.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=406

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2010, 09:29 AM »
Emailed clam and they said they didn't have any replacement tents for my Trap II at this time. Advised me to check at local dealers. I'll probably patch it for this winter and then in the spring look around to see if an awning place can make me one maybe. That or maybe I'll have to look at getting a new flip over. Sure the wife will love that  ;D

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2010, 10:29 PM »
Ended up buying some canvas material from walmart's fabric department (that made me feel super manly especially with the two college girls that were sitting there looking at patterns and kept looking over at me while I was debating between the canvas types). And used some fabric glue to stick it to the shanty tent. Its drying now. But so far so good. Hopefully it holds up when it starts getting wet.

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2010, 06:58 PM »
Used black liquid electrical tape to patch some spots in my Frabill matches pretty good. I know that they have other colors besides black but not sure if they have blue to match the clam.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2010, 01:26 AM »
Try the liquid elect. tape. Its thick and gooey but spreads out. I used it in my tub where I have screws or cap nuts from installing runners, gave them a glob and it acts like liquid rubber,protect any thing that hits or rubs on them. Use it to cover a piece of duck tape then slap it on,may even last for another year

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.