Author Topic: Lowrance fish lo-k-tor  (Read 13263 times)

Offline eld

• IceShanty Rookie
Lowrance fish lo-k-tor
« on: Sep 11, 2010, 11:44 PM »
I am going to start ice fishing this year and came across and old flasher and for the price I couldn't pass it up.  Problem is that I've never used a flasher and not sure how good this one will work.  It only has one knob that both turns the unit on and adjusts sensitivity.  It also has a boat style transducer.  Would I be able to use this unit for ice fishing?  This is a portable unit with a spot for a battery.  Do these units run on 6 or 12 volts?  Thanks for any info.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Lowrance fish lo-k-tor
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2010, 11:45 AM »
I used to use a couple of Lowrance flashers on the ice. This was before all the flashers made for the ice came out. One was the "green box" and the other was a FISH LO K TOR LFP 160 or something like that and it was portable too. They both worked on 12v as I remember. I mounted the transducer on an old aluminum shotgun cleaning rod since I could break it into sections for portability. I mounted the top section onto my home made sonar box with a couple of cable ties so I could slide it up and down. I glued a refrigerator level to the top of the the transducer so I could level it at the bottom of the hole. Since they didn't make ice fishing transducers at this time I used the one for a boat that came with the sonar. You will see the bottom and you should see fish come in to check out your bait. It has been so many years that I don't remember if it would show a small ice jig or not. Hope I helped a bit. Any sonar will be better than none IMO.  :tipup:
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline eld

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2010, 11:59 AM »
Thanks, that is definitely a huge help.  So I have to get the transducer to the bottom of the ice for it to work properly? 

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2010, 01:55 PM »
The "green box" I have requires two 6V batteries. (The ones with the springs on the top.)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2010, 04:30 PM »
Thanks, that is definitely a huge help.  So I have to get the transducer to the bottom of the ice for it to work properly? 
The transducer should be at or a bit below the bottom of the hole and level. What ya can do is drill two holes close together and put your line down one and your sonar in the other so fish don't knock the transducer out of alignment when you bring them up the hole. Once in a while I had to set my transducer back to level because of this until I drilled a separate hole for the sonar.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline eld

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2010, 11:44 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys.  I will give it a try and hopefully be able to figure out how to use it.  I am going to try and power it with the batteries from my kids 12 volt powerwheels buggy.

Offline sinneD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2010, 10:51 PM »
how did you make out on your flasher? i inherited one too and have been playing around with it. i did also get some paperwork with it, manual, schematic, 1973 buyers guide/catalogue. kind of amazing how things have changed in 35 years. i wired up a rechargeable lead acid battery and it fits nice in the unit and runs just fine.

the whirr kind of wigs me out a little bit. from what i can tell, the noise is from the contacts behind the wheel. i have not been able to get on the ice yet to see how i like it.

sinneD

Offline sinneD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2010, 11:14 PM »
here are some scans of the crazy calculator wheelie dealie that i got with it. should all be clickable thumbnails:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/chessiebear/slideshow/LFP-300

Offline EddieRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2010, 12:35 PM »
  I have a older fish lo k tor also, I found it in my basement while cleaning, How/Or what size wire and what do you use, alligator clips? My buddy does'nt have a flasher so I'll give him this to use.

Offline sinneD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2010, 04:11 PM »
i am planning on cutting the wires off the battery board and directly soldering spade terminals to connect the batteries. i charge the battery out of the unit.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2010, 09:02 AM »
my partner uses a fish lokator and wants to upgrade but his works fine.  sometimes he has trouble finding the lure but usually can find it and always sees fish.  its not detailed like the newer flashers but lets you know if somethings down there.  he uses a stick with a transducer mounted to it.

Offline EddieRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2011, 08:51 PM »
  Havn't been messing around but might have it now, need to remember the 3 amp fuse. or have a elec. friend do it...

Offline mosendero

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2011, 07:37 PM »
I've got one of these, how and where did you get an instruction/users manual?

One would sure be a help.

Thanks
MO

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2011, 09:31 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.