Author Topic: Which Vexilar? (Review)  (Read 31704 times)

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Which Vexilar? (Review)
« on: Aug 15, 2010, 07:58 PM »
I figured I would do a review for those looking at getting a flasher for the season. I am really only familar with vexilar, and I will try not to get too brand dependent. When I was shopping for a flasher, I could of really used another real persons opinion on which one to get, so that is what I am hoping to do for others.

So, with that said...

I have 5 Vexilars, overkill, probably, but thats for four people, so I think thats better anyway.

I have an FL12 ultra, FL12 pro, FL18 pro, Fl18 pro, and FL20 ultra.

I cant really speak for the fl8 because I dont own one, however for what I understand they are great, and much cheaper way to get a vexilar. The only problem I have heard from others is fishing in weeds (or weed lines), which is something I do a lot. If you find yourself in a lot of weed fishing, you may want to go FL12. I have heard based on opinion that the Marcum VX1 is a much better alternative to the FL8 because of the additional features that the vx1 offers such as the additional power (1000 Watts vs Vexilars 400 Watts) and zoom mode.

Links:
Marcum VX1 - http://www.marcumtech.com/Products/tabid/92/CategoryID/6/List/1/Level/a/ProductID/16/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName

Vexilar FL8 - http://vexilar.com/pages/products/products_fl-8se_ice.php

I chose the FL12 because it was a little more than the FL8 (has low power mode) and I could fish weeds with it using the low power mode, which works great, and saves battery time. I love my FL12, and for an overall flasher, this is it. If you find yourself fishing lakes less than 40ft deep this would be a great flasher. Once you hit over 40ft it gets harder to see your line, so you have to turn the gain up which makes it a little less accurate, but nonetheless it will still get the job done. I usually fish lakes that are pretty shallow on average, so the 12 is really all I need. I have both an ultra and a pro pack. Both are good, but I like the ultra a tad more only because it has a power switch, and I am terrible about forgetting to unhook the battery from my flashers. This way I can just flip the switch and not worry about it. If you are like me, it would be worth the extra money to have the ultra pack instead of getting set up on the ice and finding out you have a dead battery. If you are not like me, then dont waste the money and get the pro or genz pack instead.

Vexilar FL12 - http://vexilar.com/pages/products/products_fl-12_ice.php

I also have 2 FL18 pro packs, do a great job, and has a auto zoom for deep water. Is it worth the upgrade? Deep water fishing and LT fishing, I would say yes. Otherwise no. And as far as the packs, its pretty much the same as above.

Vexilar FL18 - http://vexilar.com/pages/products/products_fl-18_ice.php

Finally I have an FL20 ultra which is total overkill, but if you want to impress your buddies, thats the way to go. On a serious note, the FL20 rules supreme. It has a bunch of different modes, and will allow you to have an even more increased zoom than the fl18, for even deeper water (or just easier to see). It also has a night mode for that late night crappie bite. Its good fun, but I wouldnt suggest the 20 only because its a huge cost for very little rewards. If you do a lot of night fishing and deep water fishing, it might be the way to go for you.

Vexilar FL20 - http://vexilar.com/pages/products/products_fl-20_ice.php
Vexilar FL22 - http://vexilar.com/pages/products/products_fl-22hd_ice.php

Finally I would suggest anyone looking into getting a vexilar to vist icefishingtoday.com, they have a ton of icefishing videos and info on how to properly use your vexilar and get the most out of it. For an average fisherperson I would sugggest the FL12. For the best overall model, the FL18. And for the biggest kahunas, the 20.  ;D

As far as other brands, I dont like the hummingbirds. But thats just me. One person put it to me like this..."If you had bad luck with (blank) brand, you will hate it and tell all your buddies not to get it, if you had good luck with (blank) brand you will love it and tell all your buddies to get it." And thats pretty much how it is with hummingbird and me. Marcum? They are good as far as I know, a lot of happy customers. So it just depends on what you want, but thats my 2cents. This isnt a battle of the brands, I am just stating my experience with Vexilars. As a matter of fact I just bought a Marcum LX5 for a deeper water unit and I look forward to using it this season.

** EDIT  - I have had a lot of people ask me about the specific differences between the different units. Here is a quick table that I made up myself. Its very hard to find specific data about each unit, such as the power rating and target seperation. The FL22 is not included because I did not include it in my original review because it was not out yet. I did however include a link within the review.

I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline ColdFrontFisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Which Vexilar? (Review)
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2010, 04:11 AM »
The important thing is to get a flasher....any flasher... Even an old zercom will help you catch a ton of more fish.
Post frontal conditions follow me like a lonely puppy

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2010, 07:24 AM »
i have had my FL20 for 2 years now and i have had no problems with it. in my opinion it is an excellent piece of equipment for sure. but i myself have never used any other brand of flasher.  8)
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2010, 08:49 AM »
The important thing is to get a flasher....any flasher... Even an old zercom will help you catch a ton of more fish.

That's for sure!
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2010, 09:29 AM »
i have had my FL20 for 2 years now and i have had no problems with it. in my opinion it is an excellent piece of equipment for sure.

X2

I'm really interested in the new Vexilar "Tri-ducer"  9, 12, and 20 degree cones in one transducer.

My FL20 has worked perfectly since I bought it.   It has also helped me find and catch fish that I would not have gotten without it.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline Panfish Popper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Won't, go fishing without my VEXILAR
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2010, 03:20 PM »
I have the vexilar fl8 genz pack and love it, The only thing I dont absolutely love about it is fishing in the weeds, Either I can go by a new fl 12 with the low power mode or I read in the vex Manuel that you can buy an "s cable" that cuts the power in half for the fl8 series
First time ever having a good day!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2010, 08:24 PM »
I had an FL-8, and with the new models out I would avoid them. No zoom, and blobby globy throbby targets suck.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 20, 2010, 08:13 AM »
I have the vexilar fl8 genz pack and love it, The only thing I dont absolutely love about it is fishing in the weeds, Either I can go by a new fl 12 with the low power mode or I read in the vex Manuel that you can buy an "s cable" that cuts the power in half for the fl8 series

Yep. You need the S-cable.

Offline Panfish Popper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Won't, go fishing without my VEXILAR
« Reply #8 on: Aug 20, 2010, 08:55 AM »
Yep. You need the S-cable.
   Does the cable have any effect on the places I fish that have no weeds?
First time ever having a good day!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Aug 20, 2010, 05:43 PM »
It cuts the output in half, so it is like turning the sensitivity to negative five. Yes it will effect your ability to find your jig.

Offline TJR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Aug 20, 2010, 07:59 PM »
I have the 18 and I really like it 

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 21, 2010, 07:35 AM »
   Does the cable have any effect on the places I fish that have no weeds?

Shallow water under 15' or so even with no structure on the bottom you could use the S-cable. The S cable should come with the Fl-8 IMO, but they make you buy it seperatley.

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Aug 21, 2010, 07:56 PM »
I have an 8 ,18 and a 67c lowrance which has both a flasher and graph , look around before making a purchase ,don't get me wrong vex's are a great unit ,and i would never sell my 18 ,but take a look at a lowrance much cheaper ,and it can be put in a boat for trolling or vertical jigging  ,just my .02

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Aug 22, 2010, 06:09 PM »
The lowrances sold out last year, like they were going out of style. I almost bought one myself. I would like to know how people like them, in comparision to the vexilars. And BTW if you didnt know, Vexilars can be used on boats too. I have used mine a couple of times, but I usually only use the depth finder on my fish finder in the boat, mine sucks. lol.
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Aug 26, 2010, 06:11 PM »
Marcum? They are good as far as I know, a lot of happy customers, however for the price, I would get the vex, as they are about the same amount, and vexilar has a really good reputation. So it just depends on what you want, but thats my 2cents.
Ummm .... you have that completely wrong. You get way more options and performance from an Marcum LX3-TC let alone an LX5 over an equal or higher priced Vexilar. I've never heard anyone but you say to get a vex because of pricepoint. Vex's are the most overpriced underperforming flashers available compared to Marcums and Birds' where pricepoint is an issue.
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #15 on: Aug 26, 2010, 08:44 PM »
I'm not a brand fanatic by any means.  I don't care who's label is on it, I just want it to help me catch fish.  I owned Vexilars for 10 years.  Started with an 18, went to a 20.  Then I decided to mix things up and went to a Marcum LX-5.  There is a lot to like.  Moveable zoom, good interference rejection, nice case and charger, etc.  I used the LX-5 all last season.  I really liked it in shallow water (40 feet and under).  Great display.  Nice controls (push buttons vs. knobs).  For features, it is hard to beat.  However, I was really, really unhappy with its performance in deeper water.  I sold the LX-5 last summer. I was unhappy enough to sell it and go back to Vexilar.  Maybe I had a bad transducer.  I bought the unit brand new.  I don't know what the issue was or if it is just the way the LX-5 works, but the minute I switched depth ranges, I became very disappointed in the target clarity on the screen. 

I think many of us like to put our brand blinders on and feel some sort of loyalty to a given brand for one reason or another.  That isn't my deal.  I'm going with whoever makes the best product.  Features I can use.  Price I can live with, performance and reliability.  Just some feedback from one very objective user who has tried the top of the line units from both brand in the field. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Aug 27, 2010, 09:23 AM »
I bought a factory re-conditioned Vexilar FL-8se Pro Pack 2 winters ago and have loved it so far. I did add the S-Cable and use it any time I'm in less than 20' of water. Looking back, I do wish I'd spent a bit more money and gotten a unit with the bottom zoom. I've fished with guys using the Marcum LX-5 and an X67 Ice machine that have it, and it's a really great feature to have. Once you get used to the change in color on the bottom signal on the 8, you can tell when there's something down there right on the bottom, but you can't really fine tune your presentation by it.

After this winter I'll be upgrading to a better unit, most likely the fl-20 for the flat screen and the zoom, or the fl-22 if it gets some good reviews this winter (I'm not too worried about only going to 60', in the last 2 winter's I've never even had to set my fl-8 past the 30' scale) and I can fit it into my budget. 
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #17 on: Aug 27, 2010, 10:57 AM »
I have been using the same flasher for about seven or eight years and really see no reason for me to change at this time. I am interested to see how people will like the new Vex FL22 as about the deepest water I fish in is forty feet, but as I said I see no reason to buy a new one. At least it should make the flasher bashing threads more interesting this winter. I think they are all good units and if I were to buy new, price would be a big factor for me.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #18 on: Aug 31, 2010, 10:05 PM »
Ummm .... you have that completely wrong. You get way more options and performance from an Marcum LX3-TC let alone an LX5 over an equal or higher priced Vexilar. I've never heard anyone but you say to get a vex because of pricepoint. Vex's are the most overpriced underperforming flashers available compared to Marcums and Birds' where pricepoint is an issue.

I agree that the price point argument has no merits for Vex.  It goes to Marcums and Birds, more features and value for the customer.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 23, 2010, 08:44 PM »
I reccomend getting something with the zoom feature.  I use an fl8se, that has no zoom.  I fish for perch 20 to 30 F.O.W.,  and really wish I had a unit with the zoom.  It does make a big difference. However any flasher is better than none

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 24, 2010, 09:49 AM »
The lowrances sold out last year, like they were going out of style. I almost bought one myself. I would like to know how people like them, in comparision to the vexilars. And BTW if you didnt know, Vexilars can be used on boats too. I have used mine a couple of times, but I usually only use the depth finder on my fish finder in the boat, mine sucks. lol.

My Lowrance X67C rocks .......   easy to read the flasher, simple to operate and it caught me a ton of fish ..... then spring came and i put it on the boat and use it in graph mode.

I only fished to about 100' so i can't vouch for it at depths beyond that ..... but up to 100' it was every bit as effective as my buddys' FL20 ...... we both rocked lakers down deep  ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 07, 2010, 07:24 PM »

hah that why I said its a vexilar review and it was my 2cents and I didnt know much about them.   ;)

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 07, 2010, 07:25 PM »
My Lowrance X67C rocks .......   easy to read the flasher, simple to operate and it caught me a ton of fish ..... then spring came and i put it on the boat and use it in graph mode.

I only fished to about 100' so i can't vouch for it at depths beyond that ..... but up to 100' it was every bit as effective as my buddys' FL20 ...... we both rocked lakers down deep  ;D

;D

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 07, 2010, 07:28 PM »
hah that why I said its a vexilar review and it was my 2cents and I didnt know much about them.   ;)

oh and it depends on which one you get and where you get it from...Reeds has the VX5 for $499.99 and the FL20 pro for $489.99

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #24 on: Nov 07, 2010, 08:13 PM »
oh and it depends on which one you get and where you get it from...Reeds has the VX5 for $499.99 and the FL20 pro for $489.99

Well after the rebate the lx-5 is $449.  That being said I can't wait to see how the h-bird 385ci's perform this year.  Because at a $449.00 price point they most likely will earn my business next year.  I said it before and i'll say it again I am glad there is so much competition in flashers now......  And as a matter of fact if anyone's intereste in a 9 m onth old lightly used LX3-TC WITH A SNOW SHIELD AND AN XL MARCUM HOODIE FOR $350 LET ME KNOW... PM ME GUYS......
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline fishin mt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 07, 2010, 08:29 PM »
i have a flasher that i bought about 4 years ago and it is a cabelas brand.  I think that marcum made it?  anyways i paid under $200 for it new if i remember right and the think works unbelievably well and has changed the way i fish and has tripled the amount of fish i catch.  I do not know anyone who has a more expensive or anyone else who even owns a flasher.  anyways what is the big difference between the old style cheap models and the new $450.00 models?  I know it is supposed to be power and clarity but i have never yet had a problem with either one on this flasher.  I accually have been amazed at how well it works especially for the price i paid.  Maybee thats why they dont have them anymore?  too good of a deal?

Offline Mr.J5625

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 07, 2010, 09:12 PM »

i agree with this 100%

here is one thing i dont understand about vexilar. for example, the fl-8se genz pack is $290 and the pro pack for the same unit is $340. so the pro pack is $50 more because they added a tackle box and a battery meter?

another example is the fl-12. according to vexilar the fl-12 is the same unit as a fl-8se but its made with a flat panel display. the genz pack for this unit is $350.  why not sell this at the price of the regular fl-8?

the fl-18 ultra pack is $460  :o. i paid $370 for my marcum lx-3tc and it has more features than the fl-18 (except for low power mode). so, why pay more?

Offline panfishpappa101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 22, 2010, 04:58 PM »
I figured I would do a review for those looking at getting a flasher for the season. I am really only familar with vexilar, and I will try not to get too brand dependent. When I was shopping for a flasher, I could of really used another real persons opinion on which one to get, so that is what I am hoping to do for others.

So, with that said...

I have 5 Vexilars, overkill, probably, but thats for four people, so I think thats better anyway.

I have an FL12 ultra, FL12 pro, FL18 pro, Fl18 pro, and FL20 ultra.

I cant really speak for the fl8 because I dont own one, however for what I understand they are great, and much cheaper way to get a vexilar. The only problem I have heard from others is fishing in weeds (or weed lines), which is something I do a lot. If you find yourself in a lot of weed fishing, you may want to go FL12.

I chose the FL12 because it was a little more than the FL8 (has low power mode) and I could fish weeds with it using the low power mode, which works great, and saves battery time. I love my FL12, and for an overall flasher, this is it. If you find yourself fishing lakes less than 40ft deep this would be a great flasher. Once you hit over 40ft it gets harder to see your line, so you have to turn the gain up which makes it a little less accurate, but nonetheless it will still get the job done. I usually fish lakes that are pretty shallow on average, so the 12 is really all I need. I have both an ultra and a pro pack. Both are good, but I like the ultra a tad more only because it has a power switch, and I am terrible about forgetting to unhook the battery from my flashers. This way I can just flip the switch and not worry about it. If you are like me, it would be worth the extra money to have the ultra pack instead of getting set up on the ice and finding out you have a dead battery. If you are not like me, then dont waste the money and get the pro or genz pack instead.

I also have 2 FL18 pro packs, do a great job, and has a auto zoom for deep water. Is it worth the upgrade? Deep water fishing and LT fishing, I would say yes. Otherwise no. And as far as the packs, its pretty much the same as above.

Finally I have an FL20 ultra which is total overkill, but if you want to impress your buddies, thats the way to go. On a serious note, the FL20 rules supreme. It has a bunch of different modes, and will allow you to have an even more increased zoom than the fl18, for even deeper water (or just easier to see). It also has a night mode for that late night crappie bite. Its good fun, but I wouldnt suggest the 20 only because its a huge cost for very little rewards. If you do a lot of night fishing and deep water fishing, it might be the way to go for you.

Finally I would suggest anyone looking into getting a vexilar to vist icefishingtoday.com, they have a ton of icefishing videos and info on how to properly use your vexilar and get the most out of it. For an average fisherperson I would sugggest the FL12. For the best overall model, the FL18. And for the biggest kahunas, the 20.  ;D

As far as other brands, I dont like the hummingbirds. But thats just me. One person put it to me like this..."If you had bad luck with (blank) brand, you will hate it and tell all your buddies not to get it, if you had good luck with (blank) brand you will love it and tell all your buddies to get it." And thats pretty much how it is with hummingbird and me. Marcum? They are good as far as I know, a lot of happy customers, however for the price, I would get the vex, as they are about the same amount, and vexilar has a really good reputation. So it just depends on what you want, but thats my 2cents.
What u said really made alot of sense to me. All i want is a simple, reliable unit that will help me catch more fish. To me that is the fl 12 Thanx! tight lines, bobber down
The fishing is always better on the other side of the lake

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 23, 2010, 09:25 AM »
i do not fish over 20 feet so i got a fl12 and i love it.

Offline Superpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 23, 2010, 09:38 AM »
FL-20 was the only way to go for me.  Never used a marcum but went to look at them and the dealer told me to buy a vexilar.  I fish a few different lakes/ponds and fish a lot in 170+ FOW.  It took a while to find one last year.  Backordered from cabelas and got it just in time for ice on.  Never used the zoom, may try it this winter,  love the built in rod holder and beer holder.  Used it all summer on the boat too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.