The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Artificial Spearing Decoy Question  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Waterwolf Doug

• IceShanty Rookie
Artificial Spearing Decoy Question
« on: Jun 24, 2010, 01:05 AM »
What way do you prefer your decoy to swim, Clockwise or counter clockwise?
Faster action or slower, wide circles or tighter circles? What is your favorite color or pattern?

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another day at the office~!
Re: Artificial Spearing Decoy Question
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2010, 05:42 PM »
Well, you have just described what every spearo's arsenal should contain....all of the above! If you don't have at least 1 or 2 dozen decoys you aren't serious. Ha  I've even had to buy a larger two level ammo box to carry everything now. Its much like your tackle box. A fish may bite on one color, one style of spinner, or one kind of bait one day and have a totally new preference the next day.  A few things are adjustable on decoys, like the tail fin for making tight and wide circles and the action is variable too which cuts down on decoy numbers but I'd say one shouldn't hit the ice with less than a dozen - including store bought plastics, pro-made woods, and a bunch of your own homemade creations.  On really slow days I may go through every one in the box. If nothing else it gives you something to do besides eat or nap in the shack.
~~~ Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day~!

Offline Y-bone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2010, 07:43 PM »
Sometimes it is best to not touch them, just leave them sit motionless. That being said, I don't do it very often, I like to jig them a lot. And I switch a lot too, usually every 10 minutes until I find what they like that day.

Offline oldstaber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2010, 10:21 PM »
Largest northern I"ve ever stuck came into a rattle trap.  Had a 8" red/white on one side of the hole fish took the rattle trap on the other side.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.