Author Topic: Average number of holes cut or fished in day.  (Read 2616 times)

Offline Joe.Pikulski

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 1lb 7oz 11in 1/1/09
Average number of holes cut or fished in day.
« on: Jun 11, 2010, 12:04 PM »
In a average day how many holes do you drill while searching for fish? Does the thickness of the ice dictate how many holes you drill in a day? What size auger do you perfer for pan fish?
Capt. Joe

Offline P. Nasty

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Average number of holes cut or fished in day.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2010, 12:25 PM »
Guess it all depends on how they're bitin'. It may be as little as 10 a day or 40.
I really like my 8" Strikemaster for jumpin around......it's light and fast, if I keep the blade sharp

Offline Tipup Marathon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yay fishing
« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2010, 01:55 PM »
Usually 10-15, if I fish from the morning till dark its usually more to find the fish.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2010, 02:18 PM »
On a normal day 10 to almost 100 or more. I fish Lake Trout and primarily jig for them. 

Offline yoslick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2010, 04:04 PM »
8-10 8" most of the time, but if they ain't biteing where I'm at all bets are off and I drill till I find em, run outta time or outta gas!!
DCC(SW/MTS) US Navy retired 75-95

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #5 on: Jun 11, 2010, 05:12 PM »
8-10 8" most of the time, but if they ain't biteing where I'm at all bets are off and I drill till I find em, run outta time or outta gas!!

X2

chimo

« Reply #6 on: Jun 11, 2010, 05:27 PM »
I use a 6" finbore III and would guess my normal day is no less than 30.  Even when I know where the fish are, I am usually hole hoping trying to stay right over the school. good fishin

Chimo

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 11, 2010, 06:19 PM »
I would say 15-20 when I'm using the hand auger in 8" of ice or less.  Whe I'm using the power auger in thicker ice, I'll drill as many as it takes to find and stay on fish. 

-Jeff

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jun 11, 2010, 09:06 PM »
Ice thickness does matter to me.  8)
In the middle of the winter until break up I will usually max out at about a dozen holes (ice thickness between 4 1/2' to 5'). Early in the season no problem drilling 3 or 4 times as many if needed. Often I will go out and only drill a hand full of holes for the whole day.  ;)2

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 11, 2010, 09:30 PM »
I have a tank of an auger, (Jiffy 10" Stealth) and I like tip-ups over jigging, so I don't move around very much.  Some days it's only 3, others maybe a dozen.

Although on jigging days, the few that there are, usually a couple dozen.

Offline bababooey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jun 11, 2010, 11:42 PM »
I'm usually not happy until I have the lake looking like swiss cheese!!  When I'm fishing deep water perch with 2 buddies, we will easily drill 500 holes.  gills and crappies, drill till the fish are found, which may be 2 holes or 50.  Thank god for the the smooth running and light Solo motor!!

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jun 12, 2010, 12:25 AM »
If I am on a search mission, 20 to 30 holes sometimes on a structal spot. If I am running a flat, 10 holes in an area, no fish move down the way. Also depends on if I am jigging or running tip ups too. Generally drill 6 to 8 holes for tip ups and then drill through out the day to find the sweet spots.  Though I can drill more if I am having a hard time finding the depth I want, depends on how accurate my GPS lake maps are.

Early ice I like the hand auger, 6" finbor

After that it my 8" power auger.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jun 12, 2010, 08:18 AM »
Though I can drill more if I am having a hard time finding the depth I want, depends on how accurate my GPS lake maps are.

Yeah, lakemaster has cut down on a lot of unecessary drilling! ;D

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #13 on: Jun 12, 2010, 12:59 PM »
definitely depends on the fishing.some times perch fishing i may drill 50 and some times i drill only 1.when i pike or laker fish i don't drill too many any where from 7 to 20.i use an 8'' lazer hand auger till theres about 10'' of ice then i bring out the 8'' eskimo shark

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jun 12, 2010, 07:37 PM »
3, one for each of my two rods and one to chill the beer in.
EYECONICFISHING

surflizard

« Reply #15 on: Jun 13, 2010, 08:00 AM »
If I do my summer time scouting trips with the fish finder and GPS, locating structure properly, usually 5 holes is it for Lake trout. One for the camera, 2 for jigging and 2 for the tip ups. If I'm chasing panfish, It's Swiss cheese till I find em  ;D

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #16 on: Jun 13, 2010, 08:11 AM »
It all depends on how familiar I am with the lake.  If I dont know it, chances are my arm is gonna be sore at the end of the day!!!!!

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #17 on: Jun 13, 2010, 07:28 PM »
i drill about 10 in the area i will be fishing that night and sneak the vex in all them and bounce back and fourth pluckin a couple outta each hole.ise 6 or 8 inch auger for gills and specks.

Offline flyfishr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Revenuers don't stand a chance
« Reply #18 on: Jun 16, 2010, 10:39 PM »
In a average day how many holes do you drill while searching for fish? Does the thickness of the ice dictate how many holes you drill in a day? What size auger do you perfer for pan fish?

I enjoyed our visit on the phone tonight Capt Joe.  And as I mentioned to you on the phone it could be as many as 200 holes drilled searching for the fish on a large body of water (200-400 acres) if its a nice day out.   Most generally its in the 50 to 100 range between three people fishing.  I never had the Icegator lay down on me once in its 1st season.   I even went fishing 4 days in a row at 4 different small lakes (25-50 holes each day) with out charging the batteries and at the end of the 4th day it was still cutting holes as quick as it was on the 1st day.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #19 on: Jun 18, 2010, 12:45 AM »
I usually drill my holes beginning with 8 holes in a grid pattern if I can.  Then expand from there in with either multiples of 4 for 8 more holes in the area or in a grid line pattern.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #20 on: Jun 19, 2010, 04:58 PM »
Me it's 2 to 4 holes. I find the drop off on a map then check on the ice and good, for the season.  :tipup:

Offline IceNomads

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GOT ICE!!
« Reply #21 on: Jun 28, 2010, 08:29 PM »
go the new solo lazer 10" and i may drill 100 holes when i fish big lakes and maybe 20 or so when im on the pannies
 FISHIN' IS LIKE SEX, THE LESS YOU GET, THE MORE YOU LIE!!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Jun 29, 2010, 06:22 PM »
5 - 10 usually sometimes just 3   depends how the leg feels   Im also a camper   once I set up Im there fore the day usually   up till now all 8"   but the dream for a 10" auger hopefully this year!    Rumor has it icegator is making the leap to 10" with 36 volt batteries!   
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jun 29, 2010, 09:29 PM »
 Just one. Thickness is very important. I really like the ten inch holes!

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #24 on: Jun 30, 2010, 11:23 AM »
I usually drill about 20, but have had days drilling over 60....depends on how long it takes to find the fish...but my Jiffy does the work for me.....

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jul 01, 2010, 12:54 AM »
last season i averaged about 6-8.  We are allowed 2 in the water at one time on most waters, so i either rotated 2 tip ups or had a jig rod in one.  THis comming season i plan to own a power auger and to target Walleye on some local reservoirs so i plan to drill more. 

Offline arcticcatz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jul 05, 2010, 01:22 PM »
after the first day out there are 100 or so holes drilled... then my goal is to fish often enough to keep them from freezing over!!!  doesn't always work, but it's a good goal!

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jul 11, 2010, 03:19 PM »
I'm usually not happy until I have the lake looking like swiss cheese!!  When I'm fishing deep water perch with 2 buddies, we will easily drill 500 holes.  gills and crappies, drill till the fish are found, which may be 2 holes or 50.  Thank god for the the smooth running and light Solo motor!!

my kind of fisherman.  I am not happy unless I am on fish, so if I am not on fish I am moving to find fish which sometimes requires ALOT of holes to be drilled.  Hopefully my next season will find me with a means of transportation so that the job is done easier than it was this past year.

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fishie says "Why you looking at me like that?"
« Reply #28 on: Jul 11, 2010, 05:00 PM »
my kind of fisherman.  I am not happy unless I am on fish, so if I am not on fish I am moving to find fish which sometimes requires ALOT of holes to be drilled.  Hopefully my next season will find me with a means of transportation so that the job is done easier than it was this past year.
hopefully this is the year we don't get any snow so we can make up for the missed fishing the past two years,although i'm still keeping my eyes open for a sled just in case.
born to fish---forced to work

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jul 11, 2010, 05:23 PM »
I'm a bull hunter,I may drill 10-40 holes a day,and mark the good ones,and hole hop,I'm after big bulls over 9 inches,and catching the true bulls requires,the right presentation,if I'm marking fish in a hole I'll try every trick and presentation I know to get them to hit.I use a 8 inch Mora strikemaster hand auger,because of less tangles on the ducer,if the ice gets over 7-8 inches,it does make me a bit lazier on cutting holes ,then we use my buddies power auger.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.