The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Propane Auger? It's coming so says the Rumor Mill.......  (Read 23239 times)

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
I've learned from another website (Lake Link) that Jiffy will introduce a propane powered auger this next season.  Supposed to run up to 10" bits and be much quieter than the gas models.  I guess it will run on 1lb tanks.  Don't know any specifics, just something for you guys to keep your eyes open for this fall.

Offline bababooey

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Propane Auger? It's coming so says the Rumor Mill.......
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 08:34 PM »
I guess I don't understand the advantage of that.  ???   I guess quieter is a little better, but not really. fuel will cost more.      Maybe it will be lighter??

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 11:51 PM »
I dunno. Sounds like kinda a PITA if you ask me.  Seems kinda gimicky. Kinda like those e-tec engines that can run on just about anything.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 05:06 AM »
I cant imagine how well it would work in the cold....  We have all seen propane tanks freeze up when its cold...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 07:57 AM »
Wow. Thanks for the info.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 01:42 PM »
I guess I don't understand the advantage of that.  ???   I guess quieter is a little better, but not really. fuel will cost more.      Maybe it will be lighter??

There has to be something to it if they plan to make them......  Will have to wait and see until more details come out.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 01:55 PM »
I cant imagine how well it would work in the cold....  We have all seen propane tanks freeze up when its cold...

I've fished in -30 with wild winds and not have never had a propane tank freeze on me, it will collect frost on the outside, but never had it freeze up to the point where it won't work.  I think that these propane problems are due to either not being refilled properly, or people are getting snow/ice in the connections/hoses and that's freezing.  The freezing point for propane is -310 F.  IMO it is usually operator error if there's a problem with propane tanks. ::)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 02:01 PM »
I'm in agreement with Raquettedacker wonder how well the auger will preform in extreme cold (0 to say minus 40 f ) . Also how many holes will you be able to drill on one canister of propane. These canisters average around three dollars a piece so if you only get a small number of holes per canister it would not be to economical. Another concern is all the slobs who will leave the empties on the ice.
 I"m surprised no one has come out with a duel fuel model that uses a four stroke engine and runs on gasoline and ethanol.
 Steve

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 02:04 PM »
Tibs thank you for the info. in your last post. I based my comment on what I have read here in other posts and heard in conversations with other ice fishermen.
 Steve

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 02:22 PM »
Tibs thank you for the info. in your last post. I based my comment on what I have read here in other posts and heard in conversations with other ice fishermen.
 Steve

Yeah, I don't mean to be a jerk about it, but the propane itself isn't going to freeze on any lake in the world.  It's got to be water getting to the fittings or in the tanks, which isn't supposed to happen.  Guys need to be careful about not getting snow and ice inside the hoses and nozzles.  I've also seen many times on here guys having problems with propane tanks, it just takes a little care out there to make sure they work.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 02:30 PM »
well I dont think they mean freeze as such but more of it will not vaporize right  at -40 it doesnt vaporize at all   you can carry it in a bucket at that temp and it wont flow
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 10:59 PM »
well I dont think they mean freeze as such but more of it will not vaporize right  at -40 it doesnt vaporize at all   you can carry it in a bucket at that temp and it wont flow

Exactly, and it wont matter how much care you take in hooking it up, it wont work. I have been strapping one of those Clam seat warmers around my bottles on my Buddy heater and am able to empty my tanks completly now.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 05:02 AM »
The engine is basically the same - an internal combustion engine with an LPG carb and other fuel components.  They don't burn the propane vapor; they burn the "Liquid" Propane Gas.  Used to be able to buy an LPG carb kit for a car.
My opinion - you'll never see it, a LPG Ice Auger in production.  No advantage(s) over gasoline.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 06:40 AM »
 I should have said that a little different... You  know how the bottle frosts up and you lose pressure?? I guess thats what I meant.. ;D ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 02:25 PM »
The engine is basically the same - an internal combustion engine with an LPG carb and other fuel components.  They don't burn the propane vapor; they burn the "Liquid" Propane Gas.  Used to be able to buy an LPG carb kit for a car.
My opinion - you'll never see it, a LPG Ice Auger in production.  No advantage(s) over gasoline.

I've seen differently, supposedly Jiffy had prototypes out last winter and it's supposed to be in production this fall.  Of course it's all hear-say, just gonna have to wait and see I guess.  A Lake-Link member claims eyes on the product, so I guess it exists in prototype form anyway.

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 03:45 PM »
I believe an auto conversion actually burns the vaporized gas, not the liquid. The only advantages I can see would be a single fuel, propane, for light, heat, cooking and the auger. That and no gas smell on my hands.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 04:26 PM »
Im more inclined to wait for the 10" icegator! due to be released this fall

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #17 on: Jul 01, 2010, 04:37 AM »
Im more inclined to wait for the 10" icegator! due to be released this fall
Now "that" will be an auger.  Who's auger bit do you think they will use/recommend?

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jul 02, 2010, 08:53 AM »
Funny.  I heard StrikeMaster was working on a Coleman white gas auger......
that I think would be better esp if you used the cans of white gas   no ethenol in there   yet anyway

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jul 13, 2010, 03:37 PM »
One major thing that's being overlooked with the propane idea, is the auger has to either be a 4-stroke, or they need an oil injection system on the current 2-stroke models. Right now the oil for the crank bearings on a 2 stroker is delivered in pre-mix format with the gasoline, if it's a propane "carb" or vaporiser, how do you get the oil in there?

I'd be curious to see how it worked in the extreme cold, those old LPG converted V8's used to hate the cold.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jul 13, 2010, 04:59 PM »
Runs on one pound propane tanks? Never take off. Barely less weight w/ probability of having to carry more tanks.
Make a good 4 stroke, 15lb. auger for $400-$450 and it'd sell like flapcakes.    

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jul 14, 2010, 01:51 PM »
I also don't see this taking off, I know my gas auger will work in the cold, I don't carry 1lbers, so I would have to use a hose? ::) . For what ever small problems this will solve, I can see it having a whole new set of big problems. And when I have taken the time to get away from everyone on the lake, I don't want to have an auger that doesn't run.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jul 14, 2010, 03:17 PM »
There are some propane powered weed whackers out (Sears) that run off a 1 lb. LP bottle. All the models I have seen are 4-strokes and personally I'm not interested in a 4-stroke. I will be watching to see if Jiffy comes out with one though, should be interesting.

Offline oyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jul 14, 2010, 03:55 PM »
I have a friend that ran the demo model last winter. He only drilled a couple holes with it, but said it ran good.  I personally don't like the concept. There is enough trash left on the ice as it is now, I can only imagine how much more there would be if everyone had one of these augers, and went through a bottle a day. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #24 on: Jul 15, 2010, 09:00 AM »
ill stick with my ol jiffy 1 armed bandit.i dont even like the propane lanterns.there is enough of those cans  left on the ice that i pick up.white gas auger sounds alright but why?white gas cost more than a gallon of gas.i barely want to buy a new jiffy with the new motor let alone a propane model.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Jul 18, 2010, 07:23 AM »
one question I have is it running on liquid  or vapor if vapor then what happens when bottle is inverted??    but anyway Ill stick to my ice gator!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #26 on: Jul 27, 2010, 05:57 PM »
Going to be a 4 stroke motor,run on either the one lb bottles or on larger bottles VIA a hose.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Jul 27, 2010, 07:26 PM »
Hmmmm... Food For Thought...

There is going to be a backlash against Jiffy for their howling gearcases and cheapo engines. They are already trying to beat strikemater to the punch on the next big thing. I had three reps from Jiffy trying to convince me that their new product was great last winter, I thought it was mediocre at best. I suppose they realized that the EPA wasn't going to let up and they didn't want to be in a race for "just good enough to drill holes" with Strikemaster anymore.

I am gonna get yelled at again! ;D

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #28 on: Jul 27, 2010, 09:27 PM »
Oh, I forgot to mention.  Only 30 holes per bottle :o

Offline oyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jul 27, 2010, 10:25 PM »
I was saying this on another forum too, but at 30 holes per bottle I just cant see how they can call that environmentally friendly ???  In 1 day, I would use 3-4 bottles!!  And at that rate, it's not very economically friendly either!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.