New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: manure question?  (Read 3834 times)

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
Re: manure question?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 24, 2010, 12:37 AM »
Well the result was a four year run of plants averaging 10'-14' tall(my best was just over 16') with high yield per plant too. Nothing more than triple 10 and grass clippings were added during growth.
p.s if you start getting tomatoes plants that big I highly recommend 3/4" re-bar buried at least 36" deep for staking.   
  WOW, I'd love to see some pic's of those.. The Omish grow some serious maters down the road, but not that tall...
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline gator36x

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Mar 24, 2010, 03:18 AM »
my wife and i raise alpacas. been using aged alpaca poop mixed w bat guano(poo) i collect from the barn loft. im no botonist or master gardener but i must say all the plants, veggies and flower/shrubs been outstanding. if there is an alpaca farm nearby give it a shot..my guess itll be free...happy gardening to you all

Offline grandpa jack

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #32 on: Mar 24, 2010, 01:56 PM »
now that we are talking about gardens, I have a deer problem in my garden.Most of my garden is a 5&20 ft raised with 12" lumber.The deer are destroying it.Anybody got any ideas or had the same situation.

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #33 on: Mar 24, 2010, 02:24 PM »
now that we are talking about gardens, I have a deer problem in my garden.Most of my garden is a 5&20 ft raised with 12" lumber.The deer are destroying it.Anybody got any ideas or had the same situation.
Lead poisoning....lol. I run a campground near Old Forge (the deer are like flees on a dog) everytime we got flowers the deer ate them the next night. We would make a fermented egg solution in water. Make it in a spray bottle and spray away. Make sure you are up wind when spraying the stinky mix!!! Made that mistake once or twice  ;D

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Mar 24, 2010, 02:27 PM »
30 06
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #35 on: Mar 24, 2010, 07:23 PM »
Love the 30-06 idea. But if not try Cayanne pepper. Make a solution and spray or dust some of the plants with it. Once they take a bite of it they will quit. They aint to fond of onions or garlic either and you can get both in powder form cheap.  Dish soap soultion also leaves a bad taste in their mouths. Anything that tastes bad to us works on animals. Most are temporary though as they do get used to this stuff. Mix it up and toss them a curve ball. Even setting a few mouse or rat traps around works too a snap on the end of the nose makes them think twice just be carefull of any domestic animals around the area. I take it fencing in doesnt work too good either.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Mar 26, 2010, 10:30 AM »
There are flowers that deer hate, I forget what they're called but very common, my wife plants a bunch in our garden and at the end of all the rows. We haven't had a problem since she started to do that, but it could be that our dogs keep them off the yard too and her horse fence is right there too.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #37 on: Apr 23, 2010, 06:49 PM »
Back to gardening, wood ashes should be used lightly! I have 2 wood stoves(one in the house and on in my work shop-awesome for drying out the shanty after each outing) anyway I would cover my acre every year with the ash.I started having problems with nothing wanting to grow in the garden.Use a small hand shovel (Dont touch the dirt with bare hands-it could taint it) get your sample 3-4 places,small baggie is all you kneed. and take it to local cooperative extension office. Here local in WNY it gets sent to Cornell. Got info back and all that wood ash raised everything to the high mark. They recommended Dolomitic lime to knock it down. I think it helped. Hope this helps someone out :)

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fishie says "Why you looking at me like that?"
« Reply #38 on: Apr 24, 2010, 10:37 AM »
when you water your garden,if its possible,use soft water from the softner,last year i only grew onions and holy cow did i get large healthy onions and i haven't fertilized it ever.just keep the weeds down and water.
born to fish---forced to work

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Apr 24, 2010, 11:57 AM »
If you want some great ferts get yourself some composting worms or AKA red wigglers.
They eat trash and poop gold. ;) plus you always have plenty of worms on hand for fishing. ;D

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #40 on: Apr 24, 2010, 06:34 PM »
Chicken manure, well composted. My birds contribute regularly.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline codycoyote

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jun 14, 2010, 06:43 AM »
Had a LOT of fish remains form ice fishing last year. I froze them in bags and when I planted my peppers and tomatoes I stuck a big chunk down in the planting hole. I plant very deep and had NO problem with critters digging. My Dogs might have scared them away too though. Had HUGE peppers and great tomatoes. Worked for me and AS I don't like to waste anything worked well for disposing of fish guts and carcass.

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jun 14, 2010, 12:18 PM »
horse manure is less desireable than that of ruminants ( cud chewers). weed seeds pass through a horse and grow quite well. also, lots of stables use wood chips for bedding that they get from saw mills. there are certain types of wood that are very acidic. i stay away from wood mixed manure. but thats just me.
in general,you can't go wrong with compost. great stuff.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jun 14, 2010, 11:55 PM »
Had a LOT of fish remains form ice fishing last year. I froze them in bags and when I planted my peppers and tomatoes I stuck a big chunk down in the planting hole. I plant very deep and had NO problem with critters digging. My Dogs might have scared them away too though. Had HUGE peppers and great tomatoes. Worked for me and AS I don't like to waste anything worked well for disposing of fish guts and carcass.
  I tried that 1 year and never had anything did them up but didnt see anything different in size etc.I read it it a book and every one I talked to never tried it so I thought it was a old wise tail.  I will have to try it again.thanks

Offline slabspanker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i sell wood and wood products
« Reply #44 on: Jun 23, 2010, 07:35 AM »
BART what breed of chickens do you have?
wood is good

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #45 on: Jun 23, 2010, 10:51 AM »
BART what breed of chickens do you have?

They are Sexlinks, a hybrid, leghorn and Rhode Island Red mix. Best layers I've ever had...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Aug 07, 2010, 12:05 PM »
I feel real bad that I forgot about a few fish in my freezer (mostly pickerel and a  bullhead). Got freezer burned. Put them in the garden. My garden is going CRAZY! Best crops I've ever had! Squash, cukes, lettus, beets, pole beans, tomatoes, all going nuts!
Just my 2 cents!

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Aug 07, 2010, 09:33 PM »
I did buy some "compost manure" from a local mulch salesman. 30.00 for a p-up load.not bad price I thought. I put a light layer on all of my garden.Tilled it in. Got some great veg.so far and a bonus weed that has small white flowers on it. I have pulled and hoed them weeds ever since I tilled them in.At times I had a nice green mat.They grow in the rows so when you pull them you end up up rooting your veg. plants. Even had to get the round-up after them. I will NOT ever add manure EVER again.  >:(  my 2 cents worth, hope this helps someone

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Aug 12, 2010, 06:36 PM »
Apparently nobody told you that you will get all of the weed seeds in the manure that the cow or horse ate, from raw or composted "poo". If you buy the processed type (more expensive) they sterilize it, so you won't have that problem.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #49 on: Aug 12, 2010, 07:58 PM »
If the compost pile has been made correctly the internal temperature should reach about 140° F within 7-10 days. Ideally, the pile should heat up to 160° F so that any weed seeds will be destroyed.
  Keep America Godly...

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #50 on: Aug 12, 2010, 10:00 PM »
I really like this thread. Composted grass clippings has turned me from a so-so gardener to a vegetable growing machine! I have lost count of the cucumbers harvested so far this season from 15 plants in hills, but it is easily more than 300 and still producing heavily. Green beans, and everything else are phenomenal. I do use somew triple 10 fert. on the sweet corn because I don't generate enough compost to feed all 550 square feet of the garden. Cukes, maters and cantalope are compost only crops. Wow, all are producing many fruits and large ones at that. Maters are just coming on now. I picked 17 yesterday that totalled 15 pounds - these bruisers were pureed and concentrated down to toe-curling tangy pizza sauce for use this winter.

I have some cantalope that are just a few days from ripening, a few that are almost as big as a soccer ball and perfectly round. The vines in that melon patch are impenetrable. The compost when packed liberally around the tomato pants or hills of cukes  and melons, in addition to the high nutrient load, they also hold moisture near the plant, and wilting on hot days is a thing of the past now. Next year I need to be more proactive and get the neighbors to dunp their grass clippngs in my piles, after all, they do get rewarded with the crops on occasion.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Aug 15, 2010, 10:16 PM »
Apparently nobody told you that you will get all of the weed seeds in the manure that the cow or horse ate, from raw or composted "poo". If you buy the processed type (more expensive) they sterilize it, so you won't have that problem.
Yea I knew that,grew up on a farm.I was told it was aged and compost. think he told a fib. something to look out for- fibbers :nono:
I get the neighbors leaves every year and add them to my grass clippings. Usually get some nice stuff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.