Author Topic: Tobin Driving Conditions  (Read 4592 times)

Offline LMKilla

• IceShanty Rookie
Tobin Driving Conditions
« on: Mar 15, 2010, 12:59 PM »
I thought I would start a new thread as of today so people can be updated on the driving condtions! Dedicate this thread to only driving conditions!!
I am planning on heading up soon as many others are so anyone with recent reports please post?!

The ploughed road full of water? Can you still drive on it?
How many trucks are you seeing driving off the main ploughed road?

How much snow is left?

Would you recommend driving in a 4x4? sled only?

Thanks for everyone who can conribute!

Offline zawni83

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tobin Driving Conditions
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2010, 02:22 PM »
out on friday. lots of water on trail and a long drive through it!! guys still drivng through it but i don't think it will last much longer!! i am going again this weekend and i am not gonna drive my truck thru it again! besides i still park just off trail and sled to my spot anyway! lots of snow yet and breaking trail with truck could get hairy!! i would recommend a snowmobile for the rest of the year!! lots of ice so that shouldn't be an issue!!

Offline tipupfrenzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2010, 07:21 PM »
just got back  i think in the afternoon a person could canoe all the way from shore to my shack. 
Fishing is a tough job, but im willing to Tackle it!

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2010, 03:04 AM »
How is in front of the resort?

Are people still driving on the flats?
Not working for 2.5 years because of a bad back is taking it's effect on my bank roll...but hey,my fishing skills are much better :}

Offline zawni83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2010, 02:20 PM »
How is in front of the resort?

Are people still driving on the flats?
i think this week will be the end of driving on the flats! i'm headin out Friday i'll see how the trail is but i won't drive through that mess again!!

Offline saskcat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2010, 06:32 PM »
i think this week will be the end of driving on the flats! i'm headin out Friday i'll see how the trail is but i won't drive through that mess again!!

I would agree 100%

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2010, 07:18 PM »
Take some pictures lol!
Not working for 2.5 years because of a bad back is taking it's effect on my bank roll...but hey,my fishing skills are much better :}

Offline tipupfrenzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2010, 09:29 PM »
there was one spot about a mile out i had water coming in my door

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2010, 09:48 PM »
That is horrible.

Can people still get around with quads and sleds?

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2010, 09:51 PM »
there was one spot about a mile out i had water coming in my door

Was the water u speak of on the trail?

Offline zawni83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2010, 11:08 PM »
That is horrible.

Can people still get around with quads and sleds?
sleds no problem a quad is not quite enough

Offline zawni83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2010, 11:09 PM »
Was the water u speak of on the trail?
the water is only that deep on truck trail

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2010, 11:59 PM »
Darn,we got 3 sleds and 3 quads for 9 guys.

Offline tipupfrenzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2010, 10:02 AM »
yea thats just the trail,  sleds were working great. i think im going to take my big shack off on monday, and just use the portable from now on. i have to use the truck to take the big shack off.

Offline BigJumb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 17, 2010, 10:26 AM »
Well with lows of -17 coming up it might freeze all over again ;D

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2010, 12:54 PM »
It won't freeze the trail with that much water...but it's a start.

emt

« Reply #16 on: Mar 18, 2010, 08:49 AM »
better have a sled-the trail will freeze in-we got a bunch of snow last night-quads will not cut it unless there road completely freezes in. off the trail they will sink in when it gets warm again.
Warren77-you are still coming?-thought you said it was over rated-I think I remember you also mentioning not fishing in a big group-9 guys????
EMT

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 18, 2010, 01:04 PM »
We always split up.

Ya,I'm coming.

Emt-let it go.I told u why i said that.Who ever posted that he got skunked 4 times in a row,plus the bad weather for my crew  made me vent...let it go...

emt

« Reply #18 on: Mar 18, 2010, 07:42 PM »
I will be out there then so I will let it go if you and your buddies stay out of my spread and don't drive up and drill holes 10 feet from where I am fishing
good luck on the flats-I was serious about not using quads and needing sleds so bring the sled-I was out today and the ice road is a water road now and after last night it is a frozen snow/water/ice road!!! I would not rely on being able to drive out with a vehicle let alone the mud/muskeg trail onto the lake and the mud parking lot. It would not suprise me if people are not able to park in the parking lot in another week.

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 18, 2010, 09:15 PM »
U must have some bad luck with inexperienced fishermen?The last thing i want is to be fishing 10 feet away from somebody...Seriously,who does that?..Not anybody with half a brain.....

Appreciate the update.

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 18, 2010, 09:17 PM »
Are people still driving on as of right now?

What about the other spot to get onto the flats?

Offline tipupfrenzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 18, 2010, 10:40 PM »
last weekend i had a group of guys setup right beside us.  once they had there lines out, they were 15 yds from ours.  not to mention in the afternoon there "whos sled pipe is loudest" competition. and then when they were gone, cleaning up there mess. they should go fish in big quill, not going to bother anyone out there,

Offline Tee Tot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Laker Man
« Reply #22 on: Mar 18, 2010, 10:53 PM »
    Im not on the flat's, but can tell u that the trail I have been useing on to the lake (West of the flats) has tightened up with the cooler weather. As far as makeing your own trail with a 4 by, not going to be fun if at all possible, take the advice of previous post's and use a sled. Pike are goin good with some dandy's coming out for pictures. Walleye, tough.  Tight Lines All

emt

« Reply #23 on: Mar 20, 2010, 09:59 PM »
I did have a bad experience and it was about 5 ft from my hole actually-and another guy put one 10 ft-that is how close they were warren77.
I was out there the other day and it is a gong show already-why do guys need to bring enclosed sled trailers that are the size of an atco trailer then park them in a tiny little parking lot? and show up at 1,2,3 in the afternoon and jam the whole parking lot up because they have to park like a**holes because most of the parking is gone. It is fine, you can bring whatever trailer you want but don't be pissed off when you can't turn around your 1 ton dually diesel  and your 25 ft sled trailer in the tiny parking lot. First come, first serve!!!!
just a suggestion
emt 

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 21, 2010, 01:18 AM »
Pure amateurs.Seriously,it is common sense out there.I am probably the nicest guy out there but don't drill holes 10 ft from me(big lake) and don't drive through my tip up area with your vehicle.I get just as mad as u do EMT...I'm sure i will run into that problem this weekend.I honestly plan on breaking my own trail...Tire chains and a jacked up Titan should work...and if it doesn't, then we have sleds and quads.. Gonna be cold there when i arrive on Thursday so thats why i wanna break my own trail.How much water is on top right now?

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 21, 2010, 07:39 AM »
Come on, who jacks up a Nissan Titan?  ???
After hearing what your going to be driving I think you might want to make sure the sleds are running.....lol.

Sorry to go off topic, couldn't resist.

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 21, 2010, 12:31 PM »
Not my vehicle Farmboy but have had some decent success in it breaking  trails.I hear the road is bad so i plan on breaking my own trail...give it a go anyway.I don't wanna fish near everyone.

Offline fishinwilly4g63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 21, 2010, 12:47 PM »
Who jacks up a 4X4? Just makes you look like a giant douche, especially if you wear white sunglasses while driving it lol
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 21, 2010, 01:58 PM »
lol,white sunglasses make me angry too...looks like your in a 3d movie,weak...The titan is a good looking truck,It's done up pretty nice...The true test is when we get up there...if it can break a trail or not.

Offline fishinwilly4g63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 21, 2010, 02:26 PM »
The titan is a good looking truck

That I will agree with

Anything looks better than those tacoma's and tundra's  :sick:
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.