Author Topic: Hot Coffee anyone?  (Read 20238 times)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Hot Coffee anyone?
« Reply #30 on: Oct 08, 2010, 06:33 PM »
I ran over my Stanley steel thermos with a D8 Cat. It only held about a pint after that, but it still kept it hot. You should have seen the look on the guys face when I handed it to him and told him I wanted to exchange it for a new one. He said "I'm not gonna ask." and gave me a new one.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline b turdy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Oct 08, 2010, 08:16 PM »
Be careful! You may lose a thermos, But you wife will leave Ya!

when your thermos is gone thats all you lose.  when your wife is gone, so is half your stuff!!

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #32 on: Oct 11, 2010, 11:59 AM »
Famous quote,   "all I need is this here Thermos"    Compliments of the JERK. AKA Steve Martin.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline BrianV

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Oct 11, 2010, 11:05 PM »
A little bit of cream and rye in the coffee will take the chill off for the walk back. Just make sure it's in moderation. Too much, and you are no longer safe out there ;)

Offline wshnIwsfshn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Oct 25, 2010, 06:23 PM »
Great idea my wife does this every morning with my travel mug for my coffee .

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Nov 15, 2010, 10:20 AM »
I have an old (20 years old) Stanley and it works great if you use the boiling water and let it sit overnight before filling it in the morning.  I will use it to get going in the morning but I always go out with a small alpine stove (pocket rocket name brand) and a percolater!!!!   Noithing better than fresh made!!!!
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #36 on: Nov 15, 2010, 12:33 PM »
that may quite well be the only thermos on the face of the earth that I haven't yet tried. Thanks for the tip, I'll start looking
I have two of them and they do work very well. Once in a while one will be a dud and you just take it back to the store and exchange it.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #37 on: Nov 15, 2010, 12:44 PM »
I have an old Thermos brand widemouth vacuum bottle thermos. I put hot dogs in it and pour boiling water or soup in it and I have a hot lunch on the ice.

Offline fishermantim4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Nov 15, 2010, 02:35 PM »
Never tried leaving boiling water in over night usually just the few minutes while waiting on soup or coffee to heat up
WINDOW FISH!!!!!

Offline jtk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Nov 15, 2010, 02:43 PM »
a guy i went ice fishing with last year said they used to put boiing water in it and drop a couple hot dogs in the water. then when ur out fishing and gget hungry u got so fresh hot boild dogs. i thought that was a good trick.
"give a man a fish and he will eat for the day. teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

Offline JakeJ

• IceShanty Rookie
  • In It For the Fun
« Reply #40 on: Nov 15, 2010, 08:08 PM »
The finest cup of coffee on the ice is fresh perked. Single burner Coleman and a percolator won't take upmuch more space than a big thermos. I'm a freak for fresh coffee..

Offline imfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 15, 2010, 08:33 PM »
I might try that myself. Thanx

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Nov 16, 2010, 05:28 AM »
The finest cup of coffee on the ice is fresh perked. Single burner Coleman and a percolator won't take up much more space than a big thermos. I'm a freak for fresh coffee..
I took a peculator with me last season. worked great one day and then the next weekend it would not work. Could not get it to perk. Left it on for twenty minutes and nothing. We moved it into the shanty and it about cooked us out with all the heat from the 8000 Btu burner. It did finally start peculating. So I can tell you, it is hard to make coffee at -1.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #43 on: Nov 16, 2010, 06:24 AM »
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Nov 16, 2010, 08:11 AM »
That has to be the coolest sled modification I have ever seen!!!!!  May have to make me one of those!!!!
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Nov 16, 2010, 08:13 AM »
I took a peculator with me last season. worked great one day and then the next weekend it would not work. Could not get it to perk. Left it on for twenty minutes and nothing. We moved it into the shanty and it about cooked us out with all the heat from the 8000 Btu burner. It did finally start peculating. So I can tell you, it is hard to make coffee at -1.

I gotta admit my I am not as much of an addict as you!!  At -1 I'll be in the house watching football on my big screen. 
Ronald Reagan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Nov 16, 2010, 01:40 PM »
I gotta admit my I am not as much of an addict as you!!  At -1 I'll be in the house watching football on my big screen. 
At -1 I will be on the ice all weekend. 26 hours on the ice or more. Watching DVD's and TV on my little screen.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Nov 16, 2010, 07:15 PM »
$5 in shipping vs. $20+ for a thermos...  why wouldn't you send it back?

Well, mostly because when you go to send it back, you realize that at a minimum, they require the original packaging.... or possibly even the original reciept. Or possibly you knew it originally, but didn't have space to store the box, or didnt want to store it. Plus.... $5 shipping PROBABLY wouldnt be enough. you can rarely chip anything for less than $8... many times $10 or $12 depending how it's shipped and where to and from. Plus.... and most importantly in this case.... if it started out a cheap piece of Chinese junk.... a replacement one still would be the same.... why not support a few American jobs when we can??

Offline imfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Nov 21, 2010, 07:00 PM »
IMO the best thermos going(I worked const. many yrs and had all diff brands) I got at Cabela's it's stainless steel Nissan bottle

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #49 on: Dec 14, 2010, 06:44 PM »
Lots of you got Meijer's nearby, grab a Thermos Work set. You make 12 cups coffee on Monday am, fill the cup, pour rest in Thermos, cap it up, and still hot Wednesday. I got 2 sets.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline KB3GZW

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Dec 15, 2010, 06:41 PM »
Everyone that is saying that you have to return a Stanley bottle to get them to replace is misinformed. I have had 3 of them replaced already, one I just did 2 weeks ago. All you do is call and they take the product numbers off the bottom, so they get you the right replacement bottle. They also want the date code, which is just a letter and 2 numbers telling the month and year that it was manufactured. And they send you a new one with out returning the old one. They tell you to keep all the salvageable parts from the old one and use them as replacements on the new one if you would ever need to. I just got a food thermos that I have of theres replaced 2 weeks ago. I called them on monday and I received it on thursday. No questions asked, best customer service I have ever dealt with. Just FYI.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Dec 18, 2010, 06:54 PM »
I now take instant and heat water on my buddy but sure would be nice to have a thermos that can keep it hot after being opened once

This is always my plan.

The Mr Heater heats up the 4x8 shack perfect by boiling a couple cups of coffee water too.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Flypopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 24, 2011, 03:52 PM »
The bigger problem with hot coffee is pouring it into an ice cold mug.
I like a ceramic mug but they get cold fastout there.
I keep some styrofoam cups in the sled and don't loose any heat that way.

Offline ftwchopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Dec 19, 2011, 07:20 PM »
I have yet to find a small thermos that will keep drinks hot all day long when on the ice.I found an old pump airpot at a yard sale and that does the job but is large and tends to leak when tipped on its side.....Coleman stoves are the best for icefishing !

Offline Nozzlejocky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin...where God goes to relax!
« Reply #54 on: Dec 20, 2011, 06:03 AM »
I try to do this whenever I fill up a thermos and have noticed a vast difference when I don't get a chance to preheat it.  I even do warm tap water in my travel mug which has helped.  I have also tried the single tea bag styles that someone mentioned which works well too as long as you have the right stuff with you.

Offline icefishingNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Preparation + Opportunity = Luck
« Reply #55 on: Dec 20, 2011, 08:58 AM »
I have been priming my thermos for years but not taught by my grandfather but by my dad.

I’ve got the green Stanley thermos and the Nissan Beverage Bottle featuring TherMax Vacuum Insulation. The Nissan thermos blows the Stanley thermos away as far as keeping my coffee hot. This past deer season in VT I primed my thermos with hot water before heading into camp. After an hour and a half driving north, I stopped at the closest DD about ˝ hour from camp to fill it. Our camp cooks doesn't know how to make coffee :-\

The next morning at 5:30 I ran out to my truck to grab my thermos and my coffee was still very hot @) After returning to camp from the opening morning evening hunt, I pour my last cup of coffee which was still warm. I did have to reheat it but I was shocked to see it lasted 29 hours :o

I've got the camo 34oz thermos which is a little expensive but worth every penny for having hot coffee/chocolate on the ice with my son & friends or a cup of coffee at the truck after a hard day of hunting. I’m also a huge fan of the stainless steel liner which provides shatter-proof insulation in case I drop or it rolls out the truck door. If it was the glass-lined, it would had been shattered at least ˝ dozen times by now ::)

Either way…great tip and thanks for sharing ;)

I'm Old Enough To Know Better...But Young Enough Not To Care.

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #56 on: Dec 20, 2011, 10:34 PM »
I can tell ya all another trick. Never and I mean never put a thermos in the dishwasher. As soon as ya do pull it out and fill with concrete. It ain't worth a dang after that.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #57 on: Dec 22, 2011, 07:54 AM »
I have a few of the plastic stanly thermos' and they can be microwaved.... I put hot chocolate in them in the morning before heading to the treestand to bow hunt.... It doesnt keep it HOT all day but it will be hot at 10 am yet even after I made it at 4am..... They are small enough I can put them in my hunting fanny pack....
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Dec 22, 2011, 07:59 AM »
Marden's has a mug thing right now. Says pour hot soup or whatever hot liquid in it and it will keep it warm for up to 6 hours. I'll swing by there tonight and get the name of it.

Offline FishinJenn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ME! :)
« Reply #59 on: Dec 28, 2011, 09:55 AM »
We take my camp stove out, I make fresh perk pot coffe all morning, egg sandwhiches for breakfast, something on the grill for lunch, beer in the snow bank for the afternoon...
Kids who hunt, fish and trap...dont mug little old ladies.

<span style='display:block !important; width: 170px; text-align: center; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 12px;'><a

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.