Author Topic: Are 100% waterproof boots really waterproof?  (Read 6205 times)

Offline Retski

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lake Erie Ice
Are 100% waterproof boots really waterproof?
« on: Mar 11, 2010, 01:24 PM »
So, I just bought a pair or Cabela's Predator Extreme Pac Boots -  http://www.cabelas.com/p-0020833.shtml... and haven't even had a chance to wear them yet.

I plan on heading to Mille Lacs Lake in Minnesota this Saturday for a tournament but the resort there is reporting about 4" of water on top of 30" of ice.

My question is.... Will these boots keep the water out or should I find a pair of rubber boots?

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Are 100% waterproof boots really waterproof?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2010, 01:32 PM »
I have a pair of pac boots made by Kammick.  Whenever there is water on the ice, I ditch the pacs and wear my rubbers.

Offline mikeT973

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2010, 01:36 PM »
my friend has that exact pair n we have walked thru 8 inches of water n he said his feet were bone dry i mean idk how long ot will hold it but i have MUCK brand boots an they are by fair the bets boots ever in my mind 16inches tall 100% waterproof super warm, ive had them in 8 inches of slush ontop of 10inches of ice for 6 hours n i was fine

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2010, 01:41 PM »
I wear the 18" lacrosse Burly's

Offline Retski

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lake Erie Ice
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2010, 01:46 PM »
I am planning on fishing right off the tailgate of my truck so I have 2 different plans....

First, gonna check the local thrift shop for a pair of rubber boots....

Second, I'll wrap some hefty bags around the boots when I jump down to drill the holes (mom's old "keep the feet dry" trick).

I am half tempted to try the boots out in the water but the last thing I want is wet feet all day.

Offline Wardo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2010, 01:49 PM »
Any boots that I have bought that advertise being 100% waterproof have been 100% waterproof.  I love my Irish Setters!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2010, 01:56 PM »
Yes, to a point. Usually up to the top lace holder.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2010, 02:08 PM »
First year...yes.  Second year...mostly.  Third year...maybe.  Fourth year...maybe so so.  Fifth year...maybe not.  Sixth year...check for wet spots.  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline JAZII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NO FLASHER? NO FISH? NO KIDDING?
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2010, 02:13 PM »
I have the same Cabelas pac boots. They are 3-4 years old and no leaks. Just after all the big snow we had 8"-10" of water under the melting snow. My feet were bone dry.
Also, just remember that Cabelas has a 100% satisfaction guaranty on their name brand stuff.
JAZII

2007 1ST Perch 15 5/16"   2007 1ST Brown Trout 28 3/8"
2008 1ST BlueGill 10 7/8"
2009 2ND Perch 15"
2010 2ND Perch 16 1/8"

Offline Retski

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lake Erie Ice
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2010, 02:25 PM »
Also, just remember that Cabelas has a 100% satisfaction guaranty on their name brand stuff.

I ended up getting these boots for only $35 after Cabelas made a mistake on another purchase I made. They gave me credit towards a new purchase so I got the boots cheap. If the boots leaked I think all I could do is return the boots for the same model/make. I'm hoping they don't leak.

Offline wnystxguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2010, 02:30 PM »
play it safe and throw the rubber boots behind the seat with a extra pair of socks in them...no sense ruining your day over a damp pair of boots..

Offline JAZII

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2010, 02:31 PM »
I ended up getting these boots for only $35 after Cabelas made a mistake on another purchase I made. They gave me credit towards a new purchase so I got the boots cheap. If the boots leaked I think all I could do is return the boots for the same model/make. I'm hoping they don't leak.

THAT IS A KILLER DEAL FOR THOSE BOOTS!

I have tested their policy pretty good once. I have nothing but good to say about Cabelas.

JAZII

2009 2ND Perch 15"
2010 2ND Perch 16 1/8"

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2010, 02:34 PM »
When standing in ankle deep water for more than 3-4hrs, the only thing that is really waterproof is rubber.  Wheather that means you get boots with rubber bottoms or all rubber boots. Leather boots, even gore-tex, will eventually saturate and leak when submerged for hours on end.
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline JAZII

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2010, 02:46 PM »
The Cabelas Predator Pac boots have a rubberized coating on them. Like I said, standing in water that was half way up the boots for 2 days in a row, my feet were bone dry.
You will not be sorry with those boots.
JAZII

2009 2ND Perch 15"
2010 2ND Perch 16 1/8"

Offline Retski

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lake Erie Ice
« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2010, 03:18 PM »
Yeah, you are right....  the cross-section overview of the boots shows the waterproof membrane:

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2010, 06:34 AM »
Here is the real test for any boot.

Stuff the lower section with dry news paper and put a brick in each boot. Fill the bath tub with water and let your boots sit in it for 2-8 hours.

I have never had a Pack boot or a 100% water proof boot that could pass this test unless it was rubber.

If your pack boot does happen to pass just keep in mind this test does not take into account any flexing while walking.

I'd love to hear if any pack boot does pass the test.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release...keep only what you need.
« Reply #16 on: Mar 12, 2010, 06:57 AM »
I have owned several pair of cabelas boots including 3 pairs of the pac's.
They are all good waterproof boots to a certain degree.
"I AGREE 100% WITH GAMALOT"
I have not yet owned any pair of boots that will stay dry "all" day or days in 4"+ that are not rubber. Hours...yes, days...No
You could get lucky but I would heed the advice of wnystxguy and have a backup.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jul 18, 2010, 08:09 AM »
On this same subject    I have a pair of the rocky mountan blizzards   supposedly they are good for a few years    but recommend retreating them every year    I havent yet and as for the last time I stood in water on the ice they were still waterproof    what do you do or treat your boots with  I figure now is the time to do it as it will have time to absorb in   vs the night before I go out!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #18 on: Aug 15, 2010, 11:18 AM »
That's a real interesting test Gamalot. Your right though, it doesn't take into account for flex.

I have 2 boots for ice fishing.
A pair of Cabela's Trans Alaska (goretex) boot for dry snow / cold weather.
A pair of Lacrosse Alpha Burly 1500 gram for wet / cold weather.

Both leaked. Both at the flex points. Both worked fine new. I would re-buy them again.
The Cabelas leaked first. Flex points around the stitches and goretex. I got almost 2 seasons of wear before they started leaking.
The Lacrosse leaked after 3 seasons of wear at the flex points.
I fish in all conditions from dry ice to wet slush / deep water on ice conditions so having 2 boots works for me.

I dry both boots using a boot dryer after every outing.

I don't know of any other boots that can claim more than this really. You can only wish a boot to last or be completely waterproof forever and boy are they expensive to replace every could of years. I extended my Lacrosse with a rubber patch kit but that only holds for so long.

I guess to answer your question, yes there are 100% waterproof boots but only for so long.

JIGGIN.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Aug 15, 2010, 12:24 PM »
My Matterhorn Gortex boots are still 100% water proof after 16 years of use.  ;D  Just a treatment of snowseal to keep the leather in check.  Can't say much for the worn out treads, maybe it should become a dedicated ice-screwed boots.  Too bad they're only 200 grams of insulation.  Maybe in the long future a better pair with more insulation...

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Aug 18, 2010, 12:19 AM »
I have a pair of Rocky Blizzard Stalkers for 5 years.  Still water proof and going strong.  I do treat the leather every year just to keep them in good shape. 

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Aug 31, 2010, 01:50 PM »
Here is the real test for any boot.

Stuff the lower section with dry news paper and put a brick in each boot. Fill the bath tub with water and let your boots sit in it for 2-8 hours.

I have never had a Pack boot or a 100% water proof boot that could pass this test unless it was rubber.

If your pack boot does happen to pass just keep in mind this test does not take into account any flexing while walking.

I'd love to hear if any pack boot does pass the test.

Gary

My Matterhorns passed the test, but they aren't pack boots.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Aug 31, 2010, 02:22 PM »
my lacrosse alphaburlys are completely 100% waterproof. super warm too. i never wear thick socks

Offline addicted2fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Aug 31, 2010, 09:32 PM »
I think Muck boots will be my choice for this winter on the ice always hear good things about em. I own 2 pairs of sorrels and they did fair last winter but im ready for the real deal   ;)
Dont be Skunked

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Sep 01, 2010, 11:00 AM »
for 100% waterproof  Id be looking at my firemens boots they are    also good traction   but needs lots of socks to stay warm!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Trooper Bri

« Reply #25 on: Sep 01, 2010, 10:00 PM »
My Boundary boots by Red Ball are almost 10 years old and can still take 8-12 (that's as long as I'm ever on the ice in one shot) hours of the wet stuff without any leaks or damp areas on my socks. They're a rubber lower, leather upper boot. I've got a pair of Cabela's Trans-Alaskan III's waiting in the wings for the day they do leak.

No doubt Gamalot is correct though. If I took out my liners, I'm sure I'd feel some damp seams if I'd been splashing around or in deep wet snow all day. But if my feet are dry at the end of the day, my boots are 100% waterproof (according to my feet). ;)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Sep 02, 2010, 04:47 AM »
I am almost an expert on this subject because I am one who suffers with cold feet no matter which great boots I have. I have fishing buddies who's feet never get cold while mine are frozen all the time.

I have 2 great pairs of heavy pac boots, Sorel's and Lacross Ice Kings. Both do keep my feet warm enough for a full day of fishing and both are 80% water proof with rubber bottoms and leather uppers.

We get conditions here after a snow where the snow lays on top of solid ice and the surface just above the ice turns to slush. You are standing in frozen water 6 inches deep and it is over the seams of the lower and uppers. I keep those seams well greased but after a few hours the water does get in and I have never found a pair of Rubber/leather boots that this does not happen to. On these days it is good to have a pair of the Mickey Mouse full rubbers in the truck on stand by.

Keep in mind that lots of guys have feet that stay warm all the time while many others are blessed with cold tootsies. If the boots you have work well for your feet then stick with them. If you find you are standing in 6 inches of slush all day you better have a back up pair of dry boots and socks just in case.

I perform the test on all my new boots, stuff them with news paper, stick a brick in them and leave them over night in the bath tub up above the laces and seams. I never had a pair pass the test yet unless they were full rubber. Goretex and all the fancy woven materials make for some great boots and usually are much lighter in weight and easier to walk in but once my feet get wet inside I am heading off the ice. I can hunt all day long in any of my boots and be just fine but standing in ice water challenges even the finest boots available.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Trooper Bri

« Reply #27 on: Sep 02, 2010, 10:09 PM »
We get similar conditions here too. Put 8 inches of wet snow on the 12-15 inches of ice we get on average and drill a hole. The water comes up up through the hole you drilled. I've got pics of a Polar tipup 4" underwater. ;)

And we get the occasional February monsoon that leaves a 4+ inch lake on top of the ice. I actually enjoy those for some reason. The fishing sucks, but you expose some real estate.  :P

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Sep 02, 2010, 10:13 PM »
Simple answer, YES! Use Mickeies. 100% waterproof. If they get dunked, take off, wipe out put on dry socks and good as new. No stuffing, lining, liners or material to get wet.

Offline Russ-T

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Sep 02, 2010, 10:35 PM »
I've had the same experiences as most everybody else. Most of my 100% waterproof boots (gortex) are that way for at least the first year. Put some miles on them or give them a couple of seasons use and the gortex normally fails. I used a pair of arctic Muck boots last year and i can tell you that if it wasn't frigid my feet were hot! Especially when I was hauling in and out. If my feet get wet in these it's from sweat and not water leaking in. What's nice about the Muck boots is i can fold down the top and this helps them vent tremendously. They are what I'm going to be wearing again this year. Also it sure is nice to slip into a fresh pair of socks and shoes for the drive home. ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.