Author Topic: Winchester 3.7.10 - Still a few days left.  (Read 1272 times)

Trooper Bri

Winchester 3.7.10 - Still a few days left.
« on: Mar 08, 2010, 08:59 PM »
I'm not going to go into it too much since it didn't happen on this site, but don't believe everything you read on the internet.

It was reported sometime Saturday that you needed a boat to get on the ice at Highland and Winchester. Well, someone took that advice literally, and drove from West Haven with a canoe only to find out the truth. There's still 12" to 20" of ice measured yesterday. Intentional, or accidental? Who knows, but posting info you got from "a reliable source" without saying it's 2'nd hand info is irresponsible and erases all credibility.

If you have any of the next few days off and want one last shot, go for it. I don't trust the ice north of the spillway for several hundred feet or so, but that's about it. Also watch for areas where small streams run in, they are getting thin too. Take the same precautions you would for 1'st ice. The western side of the lake holds ice better than the eastern, and be very careful in the stumps. With this sun, they will warm up a little and thin the ice. Anyway...

Got there shortly after 7 yesterday morning and only saw 5 vehicles at the lake. One of those vehicles was our angry friend. If we had spare equipment, or he was prepared for ice, we would have dragged him along.
Unloaded the quad and snowmobile trailer, loaded up, and rode out for the NW corner of the lake to try in some shallows and out to 7 or 8ft deep.. That was where we drilled 19-20" of ice consistently. Other people we talked to said they drilled 12.

Fishing was slow for us. Spanky brought our friend Don along, and he had the hot hand. A 26" pike, and a few junk fish. We got the skunkaroo. Almost all my tipups were big dead herring, so I didn't even get a flag. We ate and drank like kings though. Sam Adams, Corona, big breakfast plates, venison, and Mahi filets! We packed it in around 2PM and called it a season.

It was my worst season ever. Only got out 6 times I think, and didn't catch anything bigger than a 16" bass. Had fun though, and that's why I'm out there. I won't be on MFF this year, just the usual local one. But I'll still be here for a while yet.

And of course, the pics!

Here's the open water that requires a boat.

The 4 of us watching our tipups doing nothing...

I actually measured it, but here's Spanky's ladle as a visual before....

And with the scoop just under the bottom of the ice....

Offline metalfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Winchester 3.7.10 - Still a few days left.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2010, 09:30 PM »
Congrats guys.
WHAT ARE THEY THINKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spankys Thinking: Why no Flags Yet. This is a good spot! RIGHT
Trooper Bri: I feel it. I am ready to place this on the ice and haul in a old lady pike
Kapt: This is life. NOW WHERE ARE MY GLOVES :P
The Guy In Camo(Don): Where Is my rifle and tree stand
See You Fine Gentleman Next Winter :tipup:

Offline FoxyCleo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2010, 09:37 PM »
at least you guys saw a pike ;D... place looks pretty lockedup to me...one more time ???, don't think i will, but would like to, never made it to Winchester this year, time to move on to other things in life..., don't see any one in my spot, from that picture.

Offline camoatv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2010, 10:30 PM »
ill be there tomorrow after i send my girl off to the bus no atv my wife said stay by the shore said im  :cookoo: last trip for me i think we'll see :icefish:  :icefish:

Offline chadroc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2010, 11:25 PM »
i;m jealous.  i'm ready for next season, miss it already.
if the trout are lost, smash the state.

Offline Bass Sniper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2010, 01:26 PM »
it was me with the canoe, ya know I actually had my tip ups in the car but was very underdressed for the ice and hadnt picked up any bait....ill be back to winchester, hopefully ill see you fellas there..

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2010, 09:33 PM »
Wow looks pretty locked up. Too bad I packed all the ice gear away already.
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline camoatv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2010, 10:16 PM »
Wow looks pretty locked up. Too bad I packed all the ice gear away already.
i might go thursday after my girl goes on the bus take a bucket i got the auger lets go till noon pm me tomorrow :icefish: :thumbsup:

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2010, 07:06 AM »
Took the 84 mile ride from my house yesterday (tues) for my last trip of the season. Nice to meet Camo ATV there. Took the walk to the back cove and found the 20" of Ice. No takers on the 8-10" baits I was using. It was a nice ride and a relaxing day. Now its ime to catch up on the household chores Ive been neglecting all winter and get ready for soft water.

Hawk

Offline camoatv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2010, 12:47 PM »
Took the 84 mile ride from my house yesterday (tues) for my last trip of the season. Nice to meet Camo ATV there. Took the walk to the back cove and found the 20" of Ice. No takers on the 8-10" baits I was using. It was a nice ride and a relaxing day. Now its ime to catch up on the household chores Ive been neglecting all winter and get ready for soft water.

Hawk im going try to go tomorrow morning if you want to meet up im done by 11:30 have to get ready for work ill look to night for respones if none it was nice to meet you to meet up next year :tipup: 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.