Author Topic: what species of fish do you plan to catch icefishing this year?  (Read 8209 times)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
Re: what species of fish do you plan to catch icefishing this year?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 01, 2004, 09:16 PM »
     Cat fish      ;D
Actually I catch A LOT of catfish icefishing, they are very easy, and when the lake 15 min. from my home freezes I will be getting 5+ catfish every evening after school (that I don't have baseball practice) and hopefully some big 2 lb crappie ;D

Seriously for everyone that hasn't got cats through the ice try it! They get tip up lines and run off 100 yards of line even if your only about 30-50 yards from the tipup! They really like dead, whole 5" anchovies. I have also been known to get em on jigging rapalas too

Too bad no division for them in the tourney! I might be the only one to catch em  8)
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 02, 2004, 07:57 AM »
Splake
Perch
Walleye
Bluegill
Pike
Rainbow

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #32 on: Dec 02, 2004, 09:58 AM »
walleye, any panfish.  in particular, bluegill, i really nailed them last year with my vexilar.
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 02, 2004, 10:06 AM »
     Cat fish      ;D
Actually I catch A LOT of catfish icefishing, they are very easy, and when the lake 15 min. from my home freezes I will be getting 5+ catfish every evening after school (that I don't have baseball practice) and hopefully some big 2 lb crappie ;D

Seriously for everyone that hasn't got cats through the ice try it! They get tip up lines and run off 100 yards of line even if your only about 30-50 yards from the tipup! They really like dead, whole 5" anchovies. I have also been known to get em on jigging rapalas too

Too bad no division for them in the tourney! I might be the only one to catch em  8)

Leave the cats alone in the winter! It's too hard on them as they shut er down in the cold water they stack up and lie on the bottom just waiting for food and are vulnerable.But if that's the only way u can catch fish by goin after vulnerable cats and feel ok about killing them then go a head >:( 

Offline scuba

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 02, 2004, 10:50 AM »
This winter I plan on going for crappies, perch, burbot, rainbow trout, and greenbacks.

Offline Spud_bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Poppin' Swedish Pimples since '96
« Reply #35 on: Dec 02, 2004, 10:53 AM »
Perch/walleye guy here. I'm not much of an enthusiast for fishing for catfish in winter either. or summer for that matter. they are nearly dead in the winter. I saw a bullhead laying upside down on the bottom once. figured it was dead. came back to the hole a few min later and it had moved a few feet. do catfish even fight in winter?
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #36 on: Dec 02, 2004, 11:02 AM »
     Cat fish      ;D

Leave the cats alone in the winter! It's too hard on them as they shut er down in the cold water they stack up and lie on the bottom just waiting for food and are vulnerable.But if that's the only way u can catch fish by goin after vulnerable cats and feel ok about killing them then go a head >:( 

Trophy Hunter, in theory any fish that bites on your hook is " vulnerable ". If catching and keeping the cats through the ice is legal, then it is because the Fish and Game Dept. of that state or province knows that the population can tolerate the year-round fishing pressure. God forbid that some people including myself love to eat fresh fish that they catch, the more the better within the legal guidelines. If you or anyone else ever confronted me about keeping legal fish you would be run-off and left talking to yourself. By the way, " Trophy Hunter " does your user name imply that you have caught fish just to have them mounted without consuming the flesh? That to me is the most sickening waste of natural resources, and is a moral indiscretion far worse than keeping even an occasional undersize fish for consumption. But trophy fishing is not illegal, therefore I would never confront in person someone that is doing it.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 02, 2004, 11:33 AM »
Will start off with some perch and bass and with any luck maybe some trout. If I can get my lazt butt off of my favorite lake maybe some pike, musky and lakers.

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 02, 2004, 11:37 AM »
     Cat fish      ;D

Trophy Hunter, in theory any fish that bites on your hook is " vulnerable ". If catching and keeping the cats through the ice is legal, then it is because the Fish and Game Dept. of that state or province knows that the population can tolerate the year-round fishing pressure. God forbid that some people including myself love to eat fresh fish that they catch, the more the better within the legal guidelines. If you or anyone else ever confronted me about keeping legal fish you would be run-off and left talking to yourself. By the way, " Trophy Hunter " does your user name imply that you have caught fish just to have them mounted without consuming the flesh? That to me is the most sickening waste of natural resources, and is a moral indiscretion far worse than keeping even an occasional undersize fish for consumption. But trophy fishing is not illegal, therefore I would never confront in person someone that is doing it.

;D as far as my name i can't even really say why i picked it i don't even hunt but i do enjoy CPR for some of the biggest and baddest channel cats in the world here in Manitoba where our cats are protected by a 24" max size limit with fines for people who try and keep fish over that length personally i have never and would not  keep a trophy with the quality of the replicas today and digital cameras who needs to?But like you said If it's legal it's the anglers choice.Now I said that because i have hooked into big cats in the late fall casting jigs for walleyes the bloody fish came in like a log which i thought it was and took a long time to recover and barely swam away it was very stressed.And when did i say anything about keeping fish? ??? I didn't i too enjoy keeping fish within the law and would never confront peoplle for keeping legal fish.So my point is maybe catch a couple then move on fish for something else but it's just a stupid catfish right at least in colorado like IFB says the fish and game think and they want them out of the lakes and rivers.So I guess you are right he should help fish em out kill em all ::).Now maybe these little baby cats don't get as stressed as the big ones do then it's not a problem but if they look like they are stressed and could end up dying is it worth it? 

Offline Indytom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 02, 2004, 03:12 PM »
Peach for eating
bluegills
largemouth bass
pickerel

All by jigging. That is what I like most about ice fishing...you never know what is going to come through the hole!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #40 on: Dec 02, 2004, 08:44 PM »
brook trout
brown trout
splake
rainbow trout
L.L. salmon
lm bass
sm bass
chain pickerel
northen pike
smelt
black crappie

im sure i will encounter some othe species but these will be the fish i target.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #41 on: Dec 02, 2004, 09:12 PM »
Crappies
Bluegills
Walleyes

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 05, 2004, 09:40 PM »
     Cat fish      ;D

Trophy Hunter, that's rediculous. They DO NOT SHUT DOWN FOR THE WINTER!!! MAYBE IN MANITOBA, BUT HERE THEY ARE AGGRESSIVE AND PERFECTLY FINE TO CATCH.... I HAVE ALSO SEEN SOMEBODY WATCH THEM WITH A CAMERA AND THE DO NOT,' LIE ON BOTTOM WAITING FOR FOOD ' They swim around and are much more active than pike are! GET your facts STRAIGHT and don't be bias from what may be the case in your area.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 05, 2004, 10:26 PM »
TFB if you say that the cats are agressive that does surprise me as around here in the late fall before it even gets real cold the cats drop back into the deeper holes and get out of the current and they do shut down even in the spring after fishing season opens around the 10th of may when you catch a cat it is really sluggish and comes in like a big grey ice cube not much fun at all and hard on the fish.maybe the water there doesn't get as cold in the winter ??? and if you are saying these cats are as active and put up the fight they do in the summer then that would be fun! You've seen my pics you know I'm crazy about cats and I do get a little defensive with them as they are pretty respected around here 24" max size limit and 4 fish limit and a world class C&R trophy catfishery to show for it.You are 100% right when you say "don't be bias from what may be the case in your area" and I appoligize for my post.Good luck this winter TFB and be safe on the ice. :tipup:

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #44 on: Dec 05, 2004, 11:38 PM »
FISH!!!!  YOU MEAN THERE ARE FISH UNDER HERE?????   :o :o :o

Reelinrolly

« Reply #45 on: Dec 05, 2004, 11:45 PM »
My list:

Anything that swims!!!!!!!

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #46 on: Dec 06, 2004, 09:25 PM »
STEELHEAD!!! Lots and lots of BIG steelhead. (and a few pike and walleye)

(pssssst .... smallest fish in that pic is over ten pounds ... shhhhh)

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Offline icebigboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 07, 2004, 06:23 PM »
STEELHEAD!!! Lots and lots of BIG steelhead. (and a few pike and walleye)

(pssssst .... smallest fish in that pic is over ten pounds ... shhhhh)

wow!!!good snack to come!!!mmmmmm :woot:
I'm a jealous man :'(

Offline joco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 07, 2004, 06:44 PM »
hi slammerman

jeeeeeeee where the ,,,,,,,,,,you caught all those monster fish,,,,these fish a very nice :o

i would love to catch theme anytime ,,,that would be a dream come true.......

good luck body.

joco

borntofishforbass

« Reply #49 on: Dec 08, 2004, 12:18 PM »
I just mosly like fishing for walleye :tipup:

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 08, 2004, 04:34 PM »
I just mosly like fishing for walleye :tipup:
your name says otherwise :P ;D ;)
Those steelhead are amazing!

Offline Jimmy The Jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 08, 2004, 06:55 PM »
PIKE! big freekin pike!  >:D

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #52 on: Dec 15, 2004, 10:55 AM »
jeeeeeeee where the ,,,,,,,,,,you caught all those monster fish,,,,these fish a very nice :o i would love to catch theme anytime ,,,that would be a dream come true.......

They were caught in "Slammerland" .... (drowned rivermouth lake in West Michigan)

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

grumpymoe

« Reply #53 on: Dec 15, 2004, 11:01 AM »
Lets see....walleye, northern, perch, burbot, lake trout, brown and rainbows...anything else is bonus!!!!...Grump :tipup: :tipup:   Oh...and crappie

Offline FishHawk01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Dec 15, 2004, 11:14 AM »
Specifically going after walleye and perch,  but expect to get lots of rainbows even though they are not my prime target.
A fisherman who marries a woman who hates fishing is a fool!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 15, 2004, 09:47 PM »
This is my list in order of importance: Walleye, rainbow trout (when I can get to Brown's Lake, if I can make it over Pogers Pass,) crappie, largemouth bass, perch, bluegill, pike and maybe burbot :o if I can get the nerve to eat one! Pike shouldn't be any trouble. There is a lake with nothing else, because the pike have eaten out every other species.

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Dec 18, 2004, 06:00 PM »
Walleye
Trout
Crappie
Gills
Perch
Northern Pike

The rest are just a bonus..........
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #57 on: Dec 18, 2004, 06:05 PM »
Slobby jumbos,eyes,splake and all those other tasty critters that bite on my line!
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline sounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #58 on: Dec 18, 2004, 08:07 PM »
The elusive LL salmon that inhabit the king  and line ripping lakers the stuff dreams are made of

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.