Author Topic: Conservation officers  (Read 7013 times)

Offline fatboywpg

• IceShanty Rookie
Conservation officers
« on: Mar 07, 2010, 05:50 PM »

Well I took my to son's, 9 & 10 out to chalet today for a couple of hours of fishing my 10 year old 2nd time so he was very excited, we didn't have any luck but it was a nice sunny day out with the boys. upon exiting Chalet  beach rd. we came upon the RCMP & conservation officers which were spot checking cars, I slowed and chatted with him, he asked how the fishing was and on and on the questions they ask(their job...fair enough) He then asked me for my fishing licence and I asked why? I'm not fishing and don't have any fish, his response was well your coming from a fishing spot and have rods and an auger, so I complied as not to make too much of it and said well if I forgot my licence @ home and received a ticket I would surely challenge it, his response was I understand your point ??? as I was leaving his partner was leaning over his truck and writing down all the plate #'s.  I don't know what kind of impression that they are trying to leave by doing this but I almost feel that I was under an investigation for going to fish with my kids. Anyone have some feedback on this to give some clarification?????   hopefully this behaviour doesn't discourage people to get out and enjoy our outdoors. thks

Offline finatic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • For how can one fool make another wise? Kansas
Re: Conservation officers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2010, 05:58 PM »
Beware...here in Pa. the officers regularly check these sites...that comes from the lips of one our local officers...he is all worked-up about online tourney's and want to find a way to regulate them on his waters....what?  They sneak around in the wood glassing everyone before the patrol the ice.... almost makes you not want to do any fishing for fear of doing something wrong and who knows what new reg they can come up with...

Offline fatboywpg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2010, 06:03 PM »
Beware...here in Pa. the officers regularly check these sites...that comes from the lips of one our local officers...he is all worked-up about online tourney's and want to find a way to regulate them on his waters....what?  They sneak around in the wood glassing everyone before the patrol the ice.... almost makes you not want to do any fishing for fear of doing something wrong and who knows what new reg they can come up with...
hopefully they will check this post and see that this kind of behaviour is unacceptable, it's too bad there are a few rotten apples 

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2010, 06:10 PM »
If your not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about....
By giving them a hard time about asking for a license, you got put on the list. They will be looking for your vehicle to check you again. Among the outdoors people are there some that seem to get checked more often? They were put on the list....They have a right to ask for your license when it is a given your were fishing or are going to fish....

Offline Pembina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2010, 06:23 PM »

Well I took my to son's, 9 & 10 out to chalet today for a couple of hours of fishing my 10 year old 2nd time so he was very excited, we didn't have any luck but it was a nice sunny day out with the boys. upon exiting Chalet  beach rd. we came upon the RCMP & conservation officers which were spot checking cars, I slowed and chatted with him, he asked how the fishing was and on and on the questions they ask(their job...fair enough) He then asked me for my fishing licence and I asked why? I'm not fishing and don't have any fish, his response was well your coming from a fishing spot and have rods and an auger, so I complied as not to make too much of it and said well if I forgot my licence @ home and received a ticket I would surely challenge it, his response was I understand your point ??? as I was leaving his partner was leaning over his truck and writing down all the plate #'s.  I don't know what kind of impression that they are trying to leave by doing this but I almost feel that I was under an investigation for going to fish with my kids. Anyone have some feedback on this to give some clarification?????   hopefully this behaviour doesn't discourage people to get out and enjoy our outdoors. thks
Funny how it works eh!  Like me on Thursday, remembered my wallet, forgot my boots.  I need a checklist.

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2010, 06:42 PM »
If your not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about....
By giving them a hard time about asking for a license, you got put on the list. They will be looking for your vehicle to check you again. Among the outdoors people are there some that seem to get checked more often? They were put on the list....They have a right to ask for your license when it is a given your were fishing or are going to fish....

I disagree 100% with this post. If im in my truck coming from the lake or not...they have no right to stop and ask you for a fishing licence at that point in the day. Unless I have a rod in the water they don't need to see my license nor should you have to produce it. If you didnt have it on you, then you just took the kids fishing... you didnt even wet a line. So I think them asking to see it is wrong.

Stevo

Offline BradB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2010, 06:57 PM »
oletimer has covered it already... what is the problem with producing your license, if you have nothing to hide why cause an issue... you were obviously fishing.

the only people this would discourage from getting out are the poachers, and we certainly don't need them rapeing the resources!!!

how is it wrong for NROs to ask for your license? don't get that one...

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2010, 07:04 PM »
Even if you did just take the kids fishing, if you assisted in any way, Drilled holes, baited hooks, casted, set poles, tied hooks on, what ever you were fishing. You need a license....Showing him your license just shows the kids you do the right thing. Without creating a image of the ECO in your kids mind they are the bad guy.

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2010, 07:13 PM »
I disagree 100% with this post. If im in my truck coming from the lake or not...they have no right to stop and ask you for a fishing licence at that point in the day. Unless I have a rod in the water they don't need to see my license nor should you have to produce it. If you didnt have it on you, then you just took the kids fishing... you didnt even wet a line. So I think them asking to see it is wrong.

Stevo

Not true...If one reads the wildlife act it is interpreted that if a person is on a fishing or hunting ground with the equipment needed to do so he/she is then concidered to be involved in the act. Very grey area though. Fatboy if you do choose to plead not guilty and go to court the crown has to prove intent. Your kids can legally fish without a license until 16 I believe...and can fish without your direct supervision. But...they cannot legally drive and if six rods were in your vehicle it would be assumed that you were actively taking part in the activity without being able to produce the license needed to do so.

Real bummer I think :(. Happened to me last June in at Anama Bay. NRO checked us on the water and my wallet and license was back at the cabin. Never ever saw a game warden up there so why worry ;D. Guy was very decent and gave me 15 minuites to produce the document. Still wrote me a writen warning as this is a contact and thus shows in the statistics...which is important as shows the guys are doing their jobs. If I would have been charged outright I still wouldn't have beeen **censored**ed at the guy as I was the dummy for knowingly leaving my papers at the cabin.

If I was you I would plead guilty with explanation...fine might be reduced greatly or charge dropped completely. I'm sure Andre will chime in somewhere along the lineand tell ya how it really is and what you can do.  Just my 2 cents worth

FF
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline Ugly Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2010, 07:38 PM »

I would agree in principal with this post. This exact same thing happend to me as I left Chalet today. CO asked for my licence, I produced it and drove on. It was my 13 year old that asked the question that got me thinking and attracted me to this post. I was 1 KM from the water, no fish (****ken skunked) so realistically how can they ask for a licence or write a ticket? They have no proof that I ever had a rod in the water, IS THERE A LAW THAT AN UNLICENCED PERSON CANNOT CARRY FISHING EQUIPMENT??

Again I would say I agree in principal with this post, put it in perspective, could a police officer pull over a guy driving a sports car, 1 km from a stretch of highway that is notorious for speeding, and give him a ticket for speeding with the reply that "you are diving a sports car on a highway were everyone speeds"

?????????????????????????????????
If you believe you can.....or believe you can't....
Your right

Offline LOTWGUIDE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2010, 07:53 PM »
Just my 2 cents!

First 6 rods = 3 people fishing.... well i guess i'm illegal in the 2 tip-ups, 1 beef stick, 3 ultra lights and a couple medium rods with a chubby darter, and a swedish pimple tied on... but only fish with two rods at a time...

another good one... i fish ontario more often then not pulled off CBR got a warning for barbed hooks... my 2 rods i was useing were barbless i allways fish barbless in manitoba, but had 2 tip-ups (ontario fishing) set up for pike which i did not use with barbs and got a warning.

I was told barbed hooks are illegal in manitoba in or out of the water! I think they are going to do a raid at cabelas and the fishing hole ::)

maybe a Conservation Officer can chime in on this! I'd rather to see the CO's on the lake instead of the side of road

Offline gatorhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2010, 08:02 PM »

Well I took my to son's, 9 & 10 out to chalet today for a couple of hours of fishing my 10 year old 2nd time so he was very excited, we didn't have any luck but it was a nice sunny day out with the boys. upon exiting Chalet  beach rd. we came upon the RCMP & conservation officers which were spot checking cars, I slowed and chatted with him, he asked how the fishing was and on and on the questions they ask(their job...fair enough) He then asked me for my fishing licence and I asked why? I'm not fishing and don't have any fish, his response was well your coming from a fishing spot and have rods and an auger, so I complied as not to make too much of it and said well if I forgot my licence @ home and received a ticket I would surely challenge it, his response was I understand your point ??? as I was leaving his partner was leaning over his truck and writing down all the plate #'s.  I don't know what kind of impression that they are trying to leave by doing this but I almost feel that I was under an investigation for going to fish with my kids. Anyone have some feedback on this to give some clarification?????   hopefully this behaviour doesn't discourage people to get out and enjoy our outdoors. thks

So let me add the other side of the story to this post!  Yours was one of approximately 75 vehicles that were checked coming off of Lake Winnipeg by Chalet Beach Road.  All vehicles are checked to see if there is any fishing related activity related to it.  The obvious sighting of angling equipment leads us to believe that a person would have been involved in fishing activity.  While you were not fishing at the time, it is reasonable to believe that you had been involved in fishing activity earlier.  The young fellows did not need licences but you being an adult would have.  The officer asked to see an angling licence because he had reasonable grounds to believe that you had been fishing and wanted to ensure that there was some form of compliance to fishing regulations.  One must present their angling licence to an officer upon request when there is reasonable grounds to believe that the person is, has or will soon be engaging in fishing activity.  All you had to do was say sure and present it like the other couple hundred anglers that were checked.  Together we had an opportunity to make this check a positive one for the young fellows.  It certainly wasn't our intention to make it a negative one.

As to the comment about writing down licence numbers.  We have learned from experience to document who is being checked as we often find ourselves returning to such a scene and looking for someone in particular.  This gives us a starting point.

However, this was not the case today!  I was leaning on the hood of my patrol truck writing notes related to an earlier incident.  One where we stopped 2 subjects with alleged open liquor, narcotics and impaired driving.  The passenger slurred his speech and could hardly walk.  So I wasn't writing down your licence number.  Just documenting the observations, evidence collecting and other particulars related to the incident.

So out of a couple hundred anglers we seem to have irked approximately 3 people.  Two of whom were transported to the Selkirk RCMP Detachment and................... ...................... ........you!  We can't please everyone all of the time!

LOTWGUIDE.... the same regulation that prohibits the use of barbless hooks in Manitoba also prohibits having a barbed hook attached to a line.  A person on a water body or coming off a water body who we have reasonable grounds to believe was fishing can be charged with the offence.

Offline HighlandGlen Guide

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2010, 08:51 PM »
was out at Lac du Bonnet yesterday, just packing up getting ready to move to another spot, just finished putting my rods in rod bag, as a snowmobile pulled up, mr. nro, and all he asked me if i was done for the day and if i had caught anything. At that point i hadnt caught and told him i was just moving. After a little bit of small talk about fishing he told me to have a nice day, which i did lol. Never asked me for a license or anything, which i thought was weird, i had asked him if he had checked a large group of people fishing in a spot i normally do well in in summer, and was curious if they were catching, he told me, im only one guy, i try to stay away from large groups.....i didnt, and still dont understand that one, i would bet money that they were drinking, there had to be 20-25 snowmobiles there, but he didnt go.  Maybe the nro's are a little more passive at ldb than chalet or balsom, im not sure, but i figured he would have been all over a group like that.  just my thoughts anyway

Offline golden eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2010, 08:57 PM »
what ever happened to are rights.this great country of ours are based on rights now a days.i was under the assumption that for a dnr officer to pull me over and detain me at a check stop had to have a RCMP with them to do this.i am all for cooperation with local game and fish officers until they take my rights away for being a responsible fisherman/hunter.
I had been stopped for a routine (so they say)check.they plain clothes dnr officer had me throw down my gun on the ground and he had reached for his own gun.upon checking my license he had asked to record my lic. number down to for future ref. to who was hunting out here.no uniform no marked truck,alls he had were the flashing white lights on his truck and a side arm.who am i to argue with a man with a sidearm.o ya bye the way when they were stopping people late in the day on the gravel road no RCMP were present.

Offline HighlandGlen Guide

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2010, 09:04 PM »
as far as i know, they are allowed to detain you, but if alcohol or drugs are suspected they can hold you there, but cant do anything until the rcmp arrive, but as far as fishing or hunting is concerned they are allowed, now a plain clothed nro....you got me on that one

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2010, 09:08 PM »
I believe any enforcement officer in plain clothes, including an NRO, must identify themselves before demanding things like licenses.

I had a plain clothes NRO check me a few years ago asking to see my license and catch.  I said I don't think so.  The guy was pretty frustrated and finally he showed me his badge.  I asked why he didn't just identify himself to start with and I would have been more than happy to comply.  No answer.

I completely agree that if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about.  But that goes for enforcement as well.

Offline gatorhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2010, 09:11 PM »
what ever happened to are rights.this great country of ours are based on rights now a days.i was under the assumption that for a dnr officer to pull me over and detain me at a check stop had to have a RCMP with them to do this.i am all for cooperation with local game and fish officers until they take my rights away for being a responsible fisherman/hunter.
I had been stopped for a routine (so they say)check.they plain clothes dnr officer had me throw down my gun on the ground and he had reached for his own gun.upon checking my license he had asked to record my lic. number down to for future ref. to who was hunting out here.no uniform no marked truck,alls he had were the flashing white lights on his truck and a side arm.who am i to argue with a man with a sidearm.o ya bye the way when they were stopping people late in the day on the gravel road no RCMP were present.

You may have been stopped by anyone the way you've described your situation.  Maybe even weren't police or game wardens!  However, Game Wardens have pretty much all the same powers as RCMP.  We have more powers than most municipal police services.  We don't need police presence at our check stops although we do invite them because of all the liquor, drug and driving violations that we encounter.  It is preferable to let the police handle those issues as it is their responsibility.

As for the LDB check....one uniform going up against 20+ people who you say were drinking does not make any sense to me from an officer safety perspective!  That was one animal that didn't need to be poked with a sharp stick!  I wouldn't approach a group that size unless I had another 4 or 5 officers as support.  Especially if there was any reason to believe that they were boozing!

Offline Wendigo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2010, 09:33 PM »

As for the LDB check....one uniform going up against 20+ people who you say were drinking does not make any sense to me from an officer safety perspective!  That was one animal that didn't need to be poked with a sharp stick!  I wouldn't approach a group that size unless I had another 4 or 5 officers as support.  Especially if there was any reason to believe that they were boozing!
[/quote]

??? ??? This is very unfortunate. Although I do have respect for the law and upholding the law, I am hoping that when you make this statement that if you have a reason to believe that if and injustice has been performed by a large group that you would call for reinforcements. Otherwise what you are saying is that safety is in numbers and you are  acting against small groups because they are easier targets....say it isn't so >:(

Offline golden eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 07, 2010, 09:42 PM »
You may have been stopped by anyone the way you've described your situation.  Maybe even weren't police or game wardens!  However, Game Wardens have pretty much all the same powers as RCMP.  We have more powers than most municipal police services.  We don't need police presence at our check stops although we do invite them because of all the liquor, drug and driving violations that we encounter.  It is preferable to let the police handle those issues as it is their responsibility.

gatorhunter are you saying that one officer wont uphold the law if he or she notices a infraction being commit ed.comparring to two or more officers there they might exert there powers(authority)a bit more.i would call that discrimination against smaller more weaker groups of people that would just fall in line like cattle.if they cant do the job dont waste the 2 years at Keewatin college.Tim Horton's is always hiring.there they only serve one at a time

Offline Ugly Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 07, 2010, 10:27 PM »

With all do respect ..... Maybe you should look back on what you have posted and speak with your Legal and promo departments be fore you set any more precedents on line....some of your charges are easily defeated under both Manitoba and Canadian law.
If you believe you can.....or believe you can't....
Your right

Offline gatorhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 07, 2010, 10:41 PM »
How did one officer not going up against 20+ persons become officers getting together to gang up on smaller groups? 

And who said anything about the law not being applied to a large group?  The decision to apply the law is often based on the very ability of any officer(s) to apply that law.  If the NRO was patrolling alone then it stands to reason that he or she did not have supporting officers readily available to assist!  The Police may very well have been too busy with other responsibilities to assist also.  Maybe that officer did contact the Police and together they decided that they would attend to this scenario under their conditions not the subjects.  Or maybe they decided that the enforcement resources weren't adequate to attend and resolve any issues that would justify an increased risk to officer and public safety.

We are trained and equipped to protect ourselves and the public.  Training also helps us in identifying which hills to climb and how to climb them.  In this case, there wasn't even any evidence that there was a hill!

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 07, 2010, 10:43 PM »
as far as i know, they are allowed to detain you, but if alcohol or drugs are suspected they can hold you there, but cant do anything until the rcmp arrive, but as far as fishing or hunting is concerned they are allowed, now a plain clothed nro....you got me on that one

Can't be "detained" in Canada under our charter of rights and freedoms for any but a short period of time unless you have been formally charged with a criminal code offence...ie: operating a motor vehicle with blood alcohol level higher than .08. Don't think NRO's carry roadside breath alcohol equipment...sooo....on e would assume municipal or RCM Police would have to be in attendance. :)

FF
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 07, 2010, 10:45 PM »
gatorhunter are you saying that one officer wont uphold the law if he or she notices a infraction being commit ed.comparring to two or more officers there they might exert there powers(authority)a bit more.i would call that discrimination against smaller more weaker groups of people that would just fall in line like cattle.if they cant do the job don't waste the 2 years at Keewatin college.Tim Horton's is always hiring.there they only serve one at a time
Get over it you idiots!!!!!!!!!! Your going to knock an NRO for not approaching a group of 20 plus guys! Its getting harder and harder every day to trust anyone! Drop the stupid discrimination on small groups of people! I would never approach a group that large! If NRO's are such a problem for most then you must be hidding something, checking license, hooks and rods is the law so abide it! ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline gatorhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 07, 2010, 10:51 PM »
With all do respect ..... Maybe you should look back on what you have posted and speak with your Legal and promo departments be fore you set any more precedents on line....some of your charges are easily defeated under both Manitoba and Canadian law.

I've posted basic officer safety principles consistent with the principles taught to every member of the RCMP and WPS.  This I know because I have been trained by them and with them!  So with all due respect to you, I have no idea what you're trying to say ??? 

If charges were easily defeated as you say, then they would be deemed either unenforceable or not required and removed from the books!  So again I have no idea what you're trying to say.???

Offline golden eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 07, 2010, 11:00 PM »
Get over it you idiots!!!!!!!!!! Your going to knock an NRO for not approaching a group of 20 plus guys! Its getting harder and harder every day to trust anyone! Drop the stupid discrimination on small groups of people! I would never approach a group that large! If NRO's are such a problem for most then you must be hidding something, checking license, hooks and rods is the law so abide it! ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
hey  fish camp i dont have nothing to hide but you are right about the law but its not only for one side its there for everyone that's why we call it    C A N A D A.  and for you to call me an idiot,?whats wrong with expressing our views like this.Do we really have to resort to calling names.because at the end of the day do we not want to protect are valuable but sensitive resources and after all we are fisherman/CANADIAN and damm proud of it....

Offline roughice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ahh quiet at last
« Reply #25 on: Mar 08, 2010, 07:28 AM »
Seems to me a law is a law regardless of who upholds it. I myself am thankful for the input from our local CO's and the education they can provide(and do so willingly). I had a teacher years ago who used the expression  " common sense can be applied at all times", seems it is still appropriate. This falls into the catagory of @$#% happens, it only matters how you react to it. Take the lesson with a grain of salt if need be and carry on. My 2 cents
Catch and Release...outta the water and into grease ;)

Offline Pembina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 08, 2010, 07:41 AM »

Curious, when they asked as you said "How the fishing was" what was your answer.  Hope it was " I wasn't fishing".  Otherwise this whole thing is for nothing. 

Offline Wendigo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 08, 2010, 07:49 AM »

Innapropriate....You missed the whole point of what was being said. I think what we were trying to say here is that if a party of 2 or 3 are fishing that they should be treated no different than a party of 20. An officer(s) whether it be NRO's or RCMP should do everything in there power to uphold laws, wildlife or other. If they require back-up so be it. They should not be singling out small groups only for the lack of having the resources to execute.

And no NRO's are not a problem...I wish there were more...but like any other professions, there are good ones and bad ones and decisions are not always consistent.

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 08, 2010, 09:18 AM »
Inappropriate....You missed the whole point of what was being said. I think what we were trying to say here is that if a party of 2 or 3 are fishing that they should be treated no different than a party of 20. An officer(s) whether it be NRO's or RCMP should do everything in there power to uphold laws, wildlife or other. If they require backup so be it. They should not be singling out small groups only for the lack of having the resources to execute.

And no NRO's are not a problem...I wish there were more...but like any other professions, there are good ones and bad ones and decisions are not always consistent.
I agree that the idiot comments was too much and I apologize for that! The way I was taking the post was that all groups should be treated the same but one NRO on a group of 20 is asking for trouble. Unfortunately the resources aren't there to help execute so I would personally not blame them for targetting the smaller groups. And someone will call that discrimination, but I call it safe and common sense!

Offline Big Dog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • To freeze or not To freeze
« Reply #29 on: Mar 08, 2010, 12:59 PM »
Thank you to both Gatorhunter and fishcamp 24-7.
If your full intent was that of which was suspected by NRO then do as asked.
If you were still in the leagal way but not doing as the NRO suspected then help him do his job by complying and let him know that you were not fishing. (in a kind way)
If you were in the wrong for what you were doing then shame on you.

Gatorhunter, it's nice to have you here to help clear up some issues.

Big Dog
"Its not what you do in life, Its how you react to it"
Fishing Terms -  You can fish all you want if you can keep you wife happy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.