Author Topic: Headed Louise in the Morning!  (Read 2322 times)

Offline Salmonman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Headed Louise in the Morning!
« on: Mar 05, 2010, 11:58 PM »
Got to get a few winks of sleep before the long day trip to Old Lake Louise. Anyone out in that area can look for the two guys riding the red polaris assault pulling a otter magnum sled about 20 ft behind. We will probably start out on the west side of the lake parking at the end of the road. Will be there at sunup :) Looks like there could be some weather over there. Fishing could be great or really suck if storm systems are moving through. Can't wait to try the new arsenal of doctor jigs and glow in the dark jigs. Picked up some shiner minnows to tip our lures with. Happy Fishing!

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Headed Louise in the Morning!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2010, 12:10 AM »
Watch for overflow especially near Larsen Bay. There is one side of the toilets open. Take your own TP. We saw lots of moose on or near the road from Sutton to LL road last Saturday AM and coming back Wed PM. The fish were biting VERY soft.

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2010, 10:20 PM »
Headed down tomorrow from Fairbanks for 3 nights at LLL, staying in the bunkhouse with 3 buddies. Going to do some fishing and riding. If anyone is in the neighborhood stop by and say hello. We'll be fishing from a green Quikfish and a blue Shappell pop-up.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2010, 10:57 PM »
Heading in this Mon. for 4-5 days.  The snow machine situation didn't work out so me and the pooch will be hiking in about 2 miles on the west side of the lake.  Couldn't hook up with any bait so I'm going hardcore and try to catch bait on the lake.  If anyone is in the area feel free to stop in and say high.  I'll be in the green Q6.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2010, 11:32 PM »
I'll be in the green Q6.
you mean you are going to hike out 2 miles with a quick fish 6 man you got muscle. I plan to ski out one of these days but not with a 6 might take the 3

Offline Salmonman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2010, 11:58 PM »
We caught all the fish in Louise. Now we are moving on to Crosswinds for the weekend.  ;) ;)
 ;D

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2010, 12:33 AM »
you mean you are going to hike out 2 miles with a quick fish 6 man you got muscle. I plan to ski out one of these days but not with a 6 might take the 3
Yeh and enough propane and supplies for 5 days.  My dog helps pull some of the weight. 

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2010, 07:59 PM »
So how did you do AKHARDWATER. I am going to stap on the skis and head out on Louise this weekend.

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2010, 09:40 PM »
We are headed out Friday (or Thursday night). I guess you will be close to the boat launch? Or clear to Larsen Bay?

Mike

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2010, 10:05 PM »
I am heading to Larson Bay Friday. I don't get off work till 6. I figure I won’t arrive to Louise till 10, and then it should take me an hour or more to get to the bay, and then there is the time it takes set the quick flip up. By the time I start fishing it should be after mid night and the BB bite should be on if I don't fall sleep first ;) ;). I am going to take the big buddy heater, cot and sleeping bag. I might be crazy but I did not go last weekend and this sun I have to watch out the window is driving me nuts along with the thought of big burbot and Lakers    

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2010, 02:37 AM »
Weather above zero, it will be about 1/2 moon. A bit dark especially if the clouds are still there from Friday as possible snow showers exist. We might stop by and see you. Watch for moose. They have been thick. I have some projects at the cabin, but I should be able to get in some fishing.
Mike

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2010, 03:51 PM »
Stop by I'll be in the red quick fish. Might want to check and see if I am alive those big buddy heaters are not the best indoor heaters in a small spaces  ;D

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2010, 04:25 PM »
Stop by I'll be in the red quick fish. Might want to check and see if I am alive those big buddy heaters are not the best indoor heaters in a small spaces  ;D
If you have a flag up should we get it before we check on you? Keep a upper vent open and you will be fine also when you bank it leave a small hole at the bottom through the banking this will let the monoxide out and not trap it near the ice.

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2010, 10:43 PM »

If you get there and there is another Red Quickfish on you spot...... It isn't me....;)

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 17, 2010, 12:53 AM »
There might be room 2 shakes but if I see you catch a fish I might be kicking you out  ;D ;D

On the other hand you can buy your way in with some white fish  ;) ;)

there is only one thing greater that catching a big laker and that is watching someone alts do it.

Don't forget to leave the door cracked for ventilation as well 

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2010, 03:06 PM »
I have a cabin to sleep in with a woodstove. If you can hang on, I will give you a tour. ;)

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 19, 2010, 07:19 PM »
Just got back today.  Fishing was a little slow.  I caught fish up till 10pm. I will make an official post once I figure out how to post pictures.  Best 5 days of the year.

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 23, 2010, 02:01 AM »
I had  a great time ice fishing this weekend. I planned to pull all the stuff to Larson Bay and stay the night. Dirtofalaska thought I was so nuts he showed up with his machine and gave me a ride. Just want to say thanks ;D. We Talked about fishing the lake for a long time. I fished until one am then put up the quick flip and turned on the heater. Before long it was like 90 inside so I turned it down to low and fished outside until 2 so it would cool off. I did not catch any fish at night. I could not find my cot before I left and was afraid I was going to get cold on the ice but the sheep skin did great keeping me warm. I got up at 5 and started fishing before long I had a nice BB that I let go. I then got a huge hit and the fish pulled out a lot of line then it broke and the fish was gone along with my spoon. Looked like the big one  ???. The bite was good  until 10 in the morning then it died. in that time I caught four small lakers. A friend met me at the lake and he hooked up with a big fish that also broke his line. I fished until 5 then started skiing back to the car. The skiing was not bad with the ice shanty, power auger, buddy heater, 20 lbs propane, sleeping stuff. The worst part was that it was to hot out, I could not ski fast enough to keep my glass from fogging up causing me not to see the trail. I will post the photo of the BB later.     

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 23, 2010, 05:35 PM »
Nice to meet you Dave! I was worried that you would break a sweat towing all the gear to the spot and get COLD. The cold that doesn't go away very fast. I wanted to make sure that you knew there was a warm spot a lot closer than the lodges or your van in case of a problem. We fished quite a while and didn't even see one on the FishTV. I need more time out there to check out my summer spots and a couple promising ones.

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 23, 2010, 09:34 PM »
Thanks for the concern Dirt. I did sweat like a stuffed pig on the way back but i think it was good for me. well here is the burbot  I caught  ;D

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 23, 2010, 11:58 PM »
Nice burbot dude.  One of these days we're gonna have to hook up and tag team those big fish.  I'm sure my Q6 is probably a little more comfortable than your flip up.  I think we just missed eachother cause I pulled out around noon.  You probably saw my pad and all my holes I had spread out around the area.  That hike in wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be although my dog did help drag my sleds.   I was thinking a mid April last huhra multiple day trip if I don't get a job.

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 24, 2010, 12:06 AM »
I don't know why I call it a quick flip it is actually a Q3. After you catch one big laker you want to get back to catch another. I was thinking the same thing about a mid April trip. Seemed the good fishing was from 5 to 10 in the morning after that it was dead. Makes a day trip tough as you miss the best time. I will be going the first of April as well. I think my sled was over a hundred LBS and it was not that bad to pull. The worst was sweating not the exhaustion from pulling it. Next time I will wait to leave when it is cooler that way I can fish longer and my wife can get madder :'( :'( oops she is standing behind me got to go       

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 24, 2010, 02:49 AM »
BUSTED - So much for the kitchen pass... LMAO!

In the summer I have found that when they turn off in one spot, they turn on in another. Something to think about.

Offline Salmonman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 27, 2010, 01:19 AM »
Headed out in the morning. The two dogs are going to get some exercise following my machine tomorow. Let's hope the fish gods are generous tomorrow. ;D

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 27, 2010, 03:43 AM »
good luck and may god's hook be with you
Is that sack religious? or what! 

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Apr 08, 2010, 02:14 AM »
Headed out Thursday night for 3 days.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum